Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replace coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replace coolant?

2004 x-type, 64000 miles, coolant a little low:

I have searched the forum for info about frequency or replacing coolant.

The question is do I just top up the coolant or flush and replace? Is there a recommended replacement of this fluid after mileage or time?

Stephen

Old 04-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,924 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Stephen, most coolants made these days are "lifetime" coolants. Now, with that being said, do some of not believe that. Of course. Even most of the "lifetime" coolants state that you should replace them something around say "10 years/150,000 miles" (or some disclaimer like that).

As for what you should do. I would not worry too much about doing a flush as the newer coolants are pretty good and as long as you have not gone hog wild with adding tap water to the coolant system, all should be good. So, what I would recommend is getting the engine warm and then opening the drain valve (passenger side, inside a little pocket in the undertray). Collect all the coolant and set off to the side. Now, refill the overflow bottle and then start the engine. Get most of the air out of the coolant system, refilling as needed. Once the level seems pretty solid, put the cap on and go for a drive. Under controlled conditions, drop the tranny into 4 or even 3 to get the engine RPMs up to say around 4,000 RPM. This will help push the coolant through the block and push out any air that is left. Get home and then let the engine cool. Refill as needed to restore the level.

You may find that you will have your level lowering a little bit over time for the first month or so. This is just working out the last little bit of air that is trapped in the coolant system. keep an eye on things and all will be good. Just make sure that you don't have a new coolant leak.

Now, one thing that I will recommend is that you either use the 50/50 mix coolant or you get the concentrated coolant and then all make up water is distilled water (not filtered/spring/or whatever other name they use for drinking water). Distilled water has no impurities in it, the filtered waters still have something in them and it can lead to corrosion of your coolant system.