X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retro fit wing mirrors face lift indicator type

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Retro fit wing mirrors face lift indicator type

Hi hoping some one can give me some pointers on retro fitting these,had a quick go today plug the same but nothing moving my car is a x type 04 with the 5 wire type mirrors the face lift ones are five wire as well but different colours,on plugs there are 2 rows on original mirrors wires go in top row on the face lift ones wires go in bottom row is it just a matter of swapping the wires to top row,i know i may have to run a feed from my indicator on the wing to the wing mirror indicator could do with know is there a way toroute this any help will be much appreciated.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Default mirrors

Can no one help

Old 05-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

5-wire on you old mirrors, suggests to me that you did not have powerfold or memory mirrors before.

5-wire on your new mirrors, suggests to me that they are memory mirrors. (memory have 3-wires, and then you have an extra 2 for the indicators).

You can't put memory mirrors onto a non-memory car. The function in a totally different way.

That's my guess.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:51 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I disagree with the above comment, it is possible, they won't fold (because your car doesn't have that feature) but there is no reason why the mirror positioning won't work, you will just need a pin out for the mirrors & the for the car.

May have to test each wire on the mirrors to see what they do, then on the car, but definately possible with a little effort.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Have look here, this guy may be able to help with pinout....

Auto folding mirrors - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 05-31-2012, 07:04 AM

Memory mirrors do not work on non-memory cars. Period.

There are no freely available wiring diagrams for the 2008 facelift cars.
However it's safe to assume, that the basic mirror function didn't change from the pre-facelift models, only an additional 2 wires for the indicators.

On the older models, pre-facelift, there were four different mirror types;

5-wire, non-powerfold, non-memory
7-wire, powerfold, non memory
3-wire, non-powerfold, with memory
3-wire, powerfold, with memory

Add the 2 wires for the indicator, and it has to be a memory mirror.

The cars with memory had all mirror functions controlled by the drivers seat module under, funny enough....the drivers seat, completely different to the non-memory cars.

I've retrofitted powerfold mirrors to my car (non-memory), and done that little trick to make them fold in on double-locking. BTW that's just an additional relay, a 10 minute job with $5 worth of parts.

I've also had the front door wiring apart to feed additional wires through the connectors to add puddle lights, and the tweeters in the front doors.

Also been through the whole memory / non-memory thing on the UK forum.

So i might just know what i'm talking about....

Old 05-31-2012, 05:28 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Cambo351 is spot on with what he's saying about the mirrors. The 3 wire memory mirrors are ran completely different to how the 5 wire non memory are. The only thing you'd get to work on those mirrors would the be the indicators ran from the side repeater feed. I'd sell those mirrors on and look for a set that is non memory for your car.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Default mirrors

Originally Posted by Ian D
Cambo351 is spot on with what he's saying about the mirrors. The 3 wire memory mirrors are ran completely different to how the 5 wire non memory are. The only thing you'd get to work on those mirrors would the be the indicators ran from the side repeater feed. I'd sell those mirrors on and look for a set that is non memory for your car.
Would you know the best way to run wire from side repeater thanks

Old 06-03-2012, 01:44 AM

Depends on what you mean by "best"

Most professional way is to run the extra wires through the connectors in the door jamb. I did it this way when I installed the puddle lights and premium sound. Some pictures here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ade-faq-64614/

The easier way is there's a plastic plug just forward of the connectors, you could punch a hole through that & feed the pair of wires through. I decided against this, because I wanted things to look factory.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:48 AM
Default mirrors

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Depends on what you mean by "best"

Most professional way is to run the extra wires through the connectors in the door jamb. I did it this way when I installed the puddle lights and premium sound. Some pictures here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ade-faq-64614/

The easier way is there's a plastic plug just forward of the connectors, you could punch a hole through that & feed the pair of wires through. I decided against this, because I wanted things to look factory.
Thanks for all the info,just one more thing before i ditch the idea,took ages to source these sick now they are the wrong ones so last hope would it not even be possible to get the glass adjustment to work if it was that would do me + indicators thanks again

Old 06-03-2012, 05:11 AM

I don't see an easy way how to do it.

The non-memory mirrors have a coventional operation, here is the simplified setup;

1. + Heating
2. - Heating
3. + Movement Up/Down
4. + Movement Left/Right
5. - Movement all
6. + Fold
7. - Fold
8. + Indicator
9. - Indicator

The memory mirrors seem to work with a digital signal of some kind;

1. + Power
2. Output from Drivers Seat Memory Module
3. - Earth
4. + Indicator
5. - Indicator

That output from the seat module must be some kind of special signal, i don't know what exactly.
It also controls the powerfold option too. I think it has to be some kind serial protocol, pulses or variable voltage.

The non-memory mirrors use reversed polarity to move the mirror up or down, left or right. It's totally different to the memory ones.

If you retrofitted memory seats, then you could probably get the mirrors working...

Another way to do it would be to get a pair of non-memory mirrors (with powerfold?), and swap over the housings to incorporate the indicators.

Whatever you do, it's a hell of a job...

Last edited by Cambo; 06-03-2012 at 05:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
alto (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Default mirrors

Originally Posted by Cambo351
I don't see an easy way how to do it.

The non-memory mirrors have a coventional operation, here is the simplified setup;

1. + Heating
2. - Heating
3. + Movement Up/Down
4. + Movement Left/Right
5. - Movement all
6. + Fold
7. - Fold
8. + Indicator
9. - Indicator

The memory mirrors seem to work with a digital signal of some kind;

1. + Power
2. Output from Drivers Seat Memory Module
3. - Earth
4. + Indicator
5. - Indicator

That output from the seat module must be some kind of special signal, i don't know what exactly.
It also controls the powerfold option too. I think it has to be some kind serial protocol, pulses or variable voltage.

The non-memory mirrors use reversed polarity to move the mirror up or down, left or right. It's totally different to the memory ones.

If you retrofitted memory seats, then you could probably get the mirrors working...

Another way to do it would be to get a pair of non-memory mirrors (with powerfold?), and swap over the housings to incorporate the indicators.

Whatever you do, it's a hell of a job...
Will probably sell them on now seems like to much messing thanks.