Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse aid

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 02:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse aid

hello anyone,

My reverse/backup aid wont beep anymore. I checked the fuse that controls that and everything is still in place. It used to beep when im backing up and im close to any object but now it doesnt do that anymore. Anyone has any clue? Has this happened to anyone before?

Old 08-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

aibeekay, first, swap out the backup aid fuse with a new fuse. Does the system work now? If the system still does not work, then back the car into a parking spot such that the rear tires are against the curb/parking log. Now, with the e-brake set and the ignition key in the "RUN" position (motor running or not), put the car in Reverse. Now, step out of the car and put your ear next to each of the back up sensors. Do you hear a high pitch squeal out of them. If all 4 are not making any noise, then odds are you back up parking module is bad. If most of them are making noise, then you have a bad sensor (granted, this normally results in 3 beeps as soon as you put the shifter in Reverse).

The other thing that I would tell you to check is the speaker for the backup sensor. It is located near the rear deck. IT is possible that it has gotten unplugged or the speaker that is in there is bad, hence no sound. Before just replacing the backup sensor, I would check that.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:25 AM

Hey Thermo, i changed my fuse with a new one but still nothing worked. Put the gear in reverse and went to listen to the sensors and it seems as if they are working. They dont have the high squeal but they have the clicking noise that sounds louder when i put my fingers close to them. I couldnt locate the speakers to check. Where exactly is it. Could you break it down in layman's terms? Is it in the trunk or inside the car or under the car? 'Appreciate it!!!

Old 08-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Veteran member

aibeekay, what you will need to do is to remove the rear seat and then remove the rear deck cover. Back under the cover you will see a small box with some holes drilled in it (driver's side as I recall). You can test the speaker and go from there. You may want to also do a quick check of the parking aid computer which is inside of the trunk, down in the spare wheel well. This is also on the driver's side, kinda near the center of the car. It is the only module in that area.

Worst case, you can disconnect the speaker, connect a multimeter (set to 20 VDC) across the 2 wires going to the parking aid speaker and doing what you did before with putting the car in reverse and putting your hand near the sensors, you can watch the multimeter and see if you get any voltage to show up. If you do, then that confirms you have a bad speaker module. if no voltage, then you have either a bad parking aid module (only fried the driver for the speaker) or there is a wiring problem between the parking aide module and the speaker.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:14 AM

I found the parking aid module in the trunk but i still cant get to the speakers. How do i take out the seats? It seems as though they are screwed in somewhere. The closest i got was being able to fold the back cushions....

Old 08-23-2009, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

aibeekay, I haven't removed my rear seat, but I have removed rear seats in many other vehicles, so, please understand that this might not be 100% on the money. First, you will need to look at the gap where the front edge of the back seat meets the carpetting. In about 18" from the door in the crack, you will find a fastener, remove this fastener (repeat for the other side). With the fasteners removed, you will need to lift up slightly (2-3") on the seat and then push the seat back towards the bumper a little bit. This will disengage a hook assembly. At this point the seat can be lifted up and out of the car. Then you will need to remove the bolt holding the center seat belt in place (was hidden by the lower portion of the rear seat). Then you will see 2 bolts holding the bottom portion of the seat in place. Remove these bolts. Lift up slightly on the seat back to disengage 2 more hooks. LIft the rear seat back out. From here, you should be able to pull the rear deck covering out.