X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Handling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Road Handling Problem

Hi, I have an X Type 2.0 Diesel Estate 2005 - I have recently had the rear shock absorbers replaced along with four new tyres. Since then, taking bends seems to leave the car swinging out at the rear a little, the wheel alignment has been done so I can discount that. Any ideas? Cheers

Old 02-26-2015, 09:03 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

did they give you a print out of the alignment? check the print out if they did and make sure it is within the manufacturers guidelines.

Did they mention any other parts which were maybe slightly worn?

The following users liked this post:
Inspector (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 09:21 AM

Hi, I didn't get a print out but was shown on the computer at ATS all was in order. No mention of anything worn. It feels like some kind of anti roll problem but I am led to believe they don't have them?

Old 02-26-2015, 03:02 PM

i had major problems with my 2.0d recently, the previous owner who had the vehicle had the rear lower control arms replaced but failed to get the alignment done correctly which lead to major problems with my handling and as a result my rear tyres were shot after 800 miles, the rear wheels had been so poorly aligned that it put pressure on my rear suspension adjustment bolts and cams which sheered off when they tried to ajust it, it also caused the rear wheel nuts to become so tight that my wheels had to be cut from the car, one of my rear springs had cracked, my front suspension also had problems on the strut mounts, and my wheel bearing had failed, all of this was not identified easlily but once all checked thoroughly and corrected/changed it now handles like it should the post can be found here excessive tyre wear rear tyres.
The reason I mention this is that it may well be something else which is giving you the weird handling something which is not glaringly obvious at first, get under the car with a pry bar and give all your bushes a wiggle any play will give problems.
Are your tyre pressures correct, simple thing but it can have a dramatic effect on handling, the X type seems a very sensitive beast.

Inspector (02-27-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 03:08 PM

also take a look here X type Wobble' it may help it seems the x type does have anti roll bars

Inspector (02-27-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 05:03 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Inspector, what you are describing sounds a lot like the lower/forward control arm on the rear suspension is worn. What I want you to try is finding a long sweeping turn (direction doesn't matter) that you have to slow down to say 25 MPH (40 KPH) to take. In the middle of the turn step on the gas (in a controlled manner) like you were going to pass someone in the turn. Does the rear end feel like it is going to step out on you? If yes, then odds are it is the lower/forward control arm (kinda shaped like an S). This is known for getting play in the bushings, leading to the rear tires actually changing direction as you apply and remove power. Hence why it feels like the car is stepping out on you. Granted, whoever did the alignment, I wouldn't use them again. This is something that they should have caught as they were doing the alignment.

You can also try lifting the rear tire off of the ground (supporting the body of the car with a jackstand) and placing your hands at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions (NEVER!!!!!!! at the 12 and 6 positions). Then you can try and make the rear wheels turn like the front wheels do. With the help of a second person, they can look at the suspension parts and see where you have movement and where you don't. This will also help out with figuring out where the bad joint is. If you need to push in on the bottom of the tire, then use a pry bar or piece of wood to do that. If you push the car off of the jackstand, it is much better to have the prybar ripped out of your hands than to have the car fall on your hand.

Inspector (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 02:54 PM

Thanks very much both of you for your replies. When I think about it I had the alignment done before I had the rear shocks done so I will look at all you have suggested and will report back. Cheers.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:53 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I think this diagnostic technique is more applicable to a car with driven rear wheels. I believe the OP has a front wheel drive car.

Originally Posted by Thermo
Inspector, what you are describing sounds a lot like the lower/forward control arm on the rear suspension is worn. What I want you to try is finding a long sweeping turn (direction doesn't matter) that you have to slow down to say 25 MPH (40 KPH) to take. In the middle of the turn step on the gas (in a controlled manner) like you were going to pass someone in the turn. Does the rear end feel like it is going to step out on you? If yes, then odds are it is the lower/forward control arm (kinda shaped like an S). This is known for getting play in the bushings, leading to the rear tires actually changing direction as you apply and remove power. Hence why it feels like the car is stepping out on you. .

Inspector (02-28-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 05:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Alan, true, this effect would be more pronounce with a car that has power applied to the rear wheels. But, may still be useful in helping to figure out where his source of looseness is coming from.

Inspector (02-28-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 12:35 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, I have an idea. First off, just because something is new doesn't mean its good. That is why we have warranties. Since your issue started when you changed the tires and the dampers then that is the first place I would look. First rotate the tire front to rear and see if the problem goes away, if it does, then you have a bad tire somewhere.

What damper did you use? All are not created equal and changing the rebound values can have a significant impact on handling. Many will fit the application, but only certain ones will actually work in conjunction with the rest of the suspension as intended. Softer dampers could cause wallowing in turns, stiffer ones may give a harsh ride and damage the bushings or other components. Contact the manufacturer and get the specs then compare to what Jaguar recommends. The same with the tires, are they within the recommend sizes, performance and pressure? I could be as simple as that.

As for the rest of it, I don't know. You didn't have a problem before, then you did after specific work was done. I would think you only have to back up to where the problem first started to find the solution.

P.S. and BTW: your car has "dampers" not "shock absorbers". Tsk, tsk, use the Queen's English please!

Inspector (03-05-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 12:58 PM
Default The results are in.

Hi and thank you to everyone who helped to diagnose my problem. It is in fact the nearside bearing that needs replacing. Quite a good wobble on it when jacked up and twisted. According to the Haynes manual you can't adjust the bearing the whole hub has to be replaced. May cost between £40-£60 for the part. Cheers.