X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Noise - Tyres?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Noise - Tyres?

Im still on the hunt for my 'perfect' X.

Took one for a drive yesterday and I was surprised (shocked really) at how damn loud the road noise was!

The dealer tells me that its all to do with tyres, which does make some sense, but man this thing was loud!

This X was fitted with Pirelli P600's (?)

Most of the roads are coarse chip seal, oppossed to nice a smooth concrete or that other stuff I cant remember the name of.

So, my question is, Im pretty sure the dealer was right and the majority of the noise is tyre generated. What are peoples thoughts on this?

Also, what's an option for a quiet(er) tyre, that still has reasonable performance? I know I can go to a tyre place and get told the answers, but Im keen on the members veiws from a 'impartial' perspective. I dont want to get sold on a set of tyre that the dealer or his tyre 'expert' thinks.

Also, theres some noise 'padding' Ive seen around that you can install under the carpets, but I know theres a few options (Product and costs) on this as well. Any input from those who know?

Danke

Old 07-30-2010, 11:44 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by RSVG
Im still on the hunt for my 'perfect' X.

Took one for a drive yesterday and I was surprised (shocked really) at how damn loud the road noise was!

The dealer tells me that its all to do with tyres, which does make some sense, but man this thing was loud!

This X was fitted with Pirelli P600's (?)

Most of the roads are coarse chip seal, oppossed to nice a smooth concrete or that other stuff I cant remember the name of.

So, my question is, Im pretty sure the dealer was right and the majority of the noise is tyre generated. What are peoples thoughts on this?

Also, what's an option for a quiet(er) tyre, that still has reasonable performance? I know I can go to a tyre place and get told the answers, but Im keen on the members veiws from a 'impartial' perspective. I dont want to get sold on a set of tyre that the dealer or his tyre 'expert' thinks.

Also, theres some noise 'padding' Ive seen around that you can install under the carpets, but I know theres a few options (Product and costs) on this as well. Any input from those who know?

Danke
1. I use Continental ExtremeContact DWS Tires and they are much quieter and smoother than the original tires.

2. I have a product called Dynamat installed below the carpet to reduce road noise.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I switched from the stock conti's to good years and they have much less road noise/really none at all.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I just put on a full set of Goodyear Eagle GT's, they are a little quieter than the Hankook Ventus I had on there before. Probably related to the tires, yes. However the X isn't the quietest car out there, you'll probably always have some level of tire noise.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Mine a 07 x-type with 36k on it had terrible road noise its from not rotating your tires that much. Put new tires on it and it rides nice and quiet now!