X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubbing noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 01:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rubbing noise

Hi all, forgive my car ignorance, I am a network guy not a car guy so I am rather clueless.

I have a 2004 x-type w/ manual transmission that is experiencing a rubbing noise when I first start driving.

1. It seems to originate from the rear right wheel.
2. It gets louder when I accelerate and quieter when I slow down, turning corners does not seem to affect it.
3. After 5 miles or so of driving the sound goes away.
4. I recently got new tires put on, continental dws extreme, I went back to the shop and they said the tires seemed fine and were not able to replicate the sound by spinning the tires.
5. It started once it got cold ( and/or got the tires) I live in Wisconsin so it is below 30 until April.
6. Shop said the driveshaft seemed solid.
7. I also have the police siren sound periodically but I understand where that probably originates from.
8. I had a heavier person sitting in the right side of the back seat and the sound did not appear. Seems strange as I would have thought that would exasperate the sound.

Any input is appreciated!

Old 01-23-2014, 01:38 PM

Bump

Old 01-27-2014, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Kyuss,
It sounds as if your fuel breather hose is rubbing on the wheel/tyre!

Youmay wish to secure it but mine is hanging down alongside the wheel arch and it doesn't seem to drag or rub.

I hope that's it, regards, Stu

The following users liked this post:
Kyuss (01-30-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the input Stuart! I am going to try and get it on aloft tonight and take a look!

Old 01-28-2014, 09:54 PM
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

fwiw - i have those same tyres but no rubbing problems. Good luck trouble shooting. once you have it running right, I think you'll be pleased with your choice of tyre.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Kyuss,

I am not sure I have helped, it may simply be your brakes, tyres "bedding in" a description for the new parts settling after fitting?

There's a post here that may be of interest:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ng-sound-2866/

GOOD LUCK! Stu

Kyuss (01-30-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 05:14 AM
GGG
Received 16,796 Likes on 12,166 Posts

Welcome to the forum Kyuss,

As the rubbing noise disappears after the vehicle is warmed up, I'd first eliminate sticking brake caliper / piston / pads as a possible cause.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see.

In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Kyuss (01-30-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 AM

Sorry I did not see the mandatory post, fixed https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ountry-110812/

Thanks for the input everyone I appreciate it!

I love the tires, they are fantastic and make the car seem like a new ride compared to the old tires I replaced. I think there was a belt broken in one of the tires.

The sound seems to move around, it seemed to come from the rear right of the car but then the other day it seemed to originate from the front left and I had a passenger saying he thought it as coming from the front right. I know it is very hard to pinpoint these since the sound moves through the cab in strange ways. I am leaning more towards my drive shaft possibly? It is not the siren noise, I have heard that but it is very uncommon.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:00 AM

Hi everyone

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice!

I have been reading too much and I am now getting paranoid, transfer case maybe?

So again forgive my ignorance If the noise goes away once the car is warmed up or I go over 35 MPH could it be the transfer case? I really like the Stuart's idea that the new tires are just bedding in. Or GGG's option of sticking brake calipers I was not able to get her on a lift yet, hopefully early next week I will be able to.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member

Good on you, Kyuss,

When your Babe is raised you can always SEE a lot better and you will be the best judge of that!
Whatever the issue is, you will be more reassured when you find out and it's actually admirable when you, like certain motorists actually care about your car, your drive and in the end, curiosity won't kill your CAT because you react the right way.

There are many motorists who are never bothered to check out issues, minor woes and niggles and they are usually the motorists who do damage, not only to themselves but to decent motorists like us!!

Good Luck and keep us posted!! Cheer, Stu

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 01-31-2014 at 02:40 AM. Reason: spullink
Kyuss (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Kyuss, if it goes away aver 35MPH that sounds like the whine of the propshaft bearing. Very common issue in our cars and only seems to happen when it is really cold out. Do a search on here about it. Some guys have had luck greasing the bearings, others not so much. Dealer just replaces the whole propshaft. Not hard to do, but a dealer would change about $1000. I think a guy on here found an aftermarket bearing and replaced just that. Do a search on here. There are a ton of threads on it. More annoying than anything else.

Kyuss (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Kyuss, if it goes away aver 35MPH that sounds like the whine of the propshaft bearing. Very common issue in our cars and only seems to happen when it is really cold out. Do a search on here about it. Some guys have had luck greasing the bearings, others not so much. Dealer just replaces the whole propshaft. Not hard to do, but a dealer would change about $1000. I think a guy on here found an aftermarket bearing and replaced just that. Do a search on here. There are a ton of threads on it. More annoying than anything else.

Thanks Alfadude!

Yes I have the siren noise too, this is different, more of a rythmic rubbing sound. But maybe it is tied to the siren sound? I am planning on getting the car on a lift next week and try the grease trick on the prop shaft. I am hoping it is a simple issue like that rather than my transfer case failing.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had this same noise on occasions whenever it is cold out for 10 years since I got the car in 2/2004. Everything checked multiple times and nothing rubbing. I gave up on finding it long ago and obviously after 10 years it is not causing a problem.