Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe Mode Problem

Old 10-07-2015, 01:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Safe Mode Problem

Hope this is i right place!
I need help with my X-type 2.0 diesel.
I had a problem with main car battery. My wife left cabin light on for 3 days and the battery got empty. I tried to start the car with jumpstart cables attached to other car battery but cables fall o0f and the car went in some "safe mode" and it will not start. Not even a try. On my computer say it in SAFE MODE or something like that.

Is it only problem with my key or some bigger issue?

Please help!
I love that car. Do not want to stop!

Old 10-07-2015, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I will try to give you a hand until some of the better electrical guys come around for a visit. Lets start at the beginning.
1. Have you removed the battery and had it fully charged and tested?
2. When you have charged the battery install the positive cable first and then take the negative cable and hold it against the positive cable for 30 seconds.
This will discharge the memories and reset everything to the default settings. It will also erase your seat, window and mirror settings if equipped.
3. The vehicle needs a good charge on the battery to get the modules to respond.
4. Once you have reconnected the negative cable you need to read the codes from the OBD plug.
You can go ahead and attempt a start but it is important that we no what codes are stored to help figure out where to go from here.

I never jump start any of my Jags. They just plain don't like it. It is always safer to disconnect and charge the battery.

Let us know what happens with a fully charge battery. A lot of batteries will not recover sufficient to use when they are completely discharged.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by avern1
I will try to give you a hand until some of the better electrical guys come around for a visit. Lets start at the beginning.
1. Have you removed the battery and had it fully charged and tested?
2. When you have charged the battery install the positive cable first and then take the negative cable and hold it against the positive cable for 30 seconds.
This will discharge the memories and reset everything to the default settings. It will also erase your seat, window and mirror settings if equipped.
3. The vehicle needs a good charge on the battery to get the modules to respond.
4. Once you have reconnected the negative cable you need to read the codes from the OBD plug.
You can go ahead and attempt a start but it is important that we no what codes are stored to help figure out where to go from here.

I never jump start any of my Jags. They just plain don't like it. It is always safer to disconnect and charge the battery.

Let us know what happens with a fully charge battery. A lot of batteries will not recover sufficient to use when they are completely discharged.
Thanks for prompt answer.
Acctualy I am aerospace eng and ussualy do not deal with anything other than I am good at. Not even sure why tried that.
I think I did the best. Called the shop, they sent the truck, put it on the truck and took it away. Today, they will clear everything.
I always think that everybody should do what they know...
Anyway, thank you very much! It is a great to be part of this forum.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

To help others and add to our info bank it would be great if you post what they did when you get it back.