X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seeking one or two Cayman wheels in good condition

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default seeking one or two Cayman wheels in good condition

Need one or two 17" Cayman wheels, must be in excellent condition with no road markings. Want to replace a couple of mine. Will pay shipping or pick up in person, if in Dallas area. Thanks

Old 09-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Default RE: seeking one or two Cayman wheels in good condition

OK, so has anyone every bought one of the reconditioned wheels from one of the several dealers that advertise them on the Internet? They say they are OEM wheels that have been reconditioned to brand new status. Cayman is around $179 plus $13 shipping, and delivery is 3-5 days. Any experience with any of these dealers? Comments?

Old 09-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

lots of online retailers will 'claim' they have the wheels, but after placing an order, they end up doing a nationwide hunt for your wheels, and often cannot come up with one in a reasonable amount of time. Be cautious.

If your wheels have curb damage, all is not lost. I was unaware that the dealers often hire an outside person(s) to come to the dealership and 'refurb' your damaged wheels right there on property. It is an all-day task, but my dealer only charges $126 per wheel, and should include the ENTIRE wheel repaired and looking new. The work is top notch as well. In my opinion, it is the same type of work you will get when buying a 'refurbed' wheel online. If you don't have a jag dealer nearby, check with other dealers to see if they have the same service.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the reply. My wheel was damaged by an automatic car wash. We have used them for years and never had an issue. I guess it was a combination of a careless worker and the low profile tires. Regardless I did not see it until I returned home. Damage to the lip and a scratch on one of the spokes.

I found a local service that does exactly what you describe. Wheel Technologies Inc., http://www.wheeltechnologies.com. They said they did not have my wheel in stock so they could not do an exchange but that if I drove over they would take my wheel off and install the spare and refurbish mine in 24 hours. They charge $125 for refurbish and $12 to mount and balance the tire and reinstall it. According to the testimonials on their website they do just what you describe for many of the area dealers, including the BMW dealer. So I guess I will go that route. All of my wheels are perfect and I hate having one that has a blemish on it.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:22 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

good choice tarheel, that sounds like a great plan...and I know how you feel. My last 'accident' occurred at Rosa's drive thru...and I was soo peeved at myslef and disgusted looking at the zipper (per Dennis), that I had to get it fixed that very week. Let us know if wheeltechnologies meets your expectations.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:48 AM

Wanted to give an update on Wheel Technologies of Dallas. They did not have a wheel in stock but I drove over one morning to the shop. Very nice place, large and professional. They had someone remove my wheel and put the spare on for me. Went back at the end of the day and picked up new wheel, which they installed. Customer rep who handled me was Eric. Wheel looked new but he thought the color was off, said he thought they left it in oven too long. It may have been slightly off but I thought it was OK. He said take it and if after a few weeks I thought it was not right to bring it back and they would redo it.

As luck would have it I developed a slow leak in that tire. I could not find any puncture and came to the conslusion that the tire must not have a good seal with the wheel due to trash, dirt, etc. So about two weeks after picking it up I called Eric and he said to bring it on by. Since I was there anywayI let them keep the wheel for the day to redo it. They stripped and refinished it again.I admit it does look like a better match, not as yellow as it was and more silver than before.

So, in conclusion, these guys do a great job and the wheel indeed looks brand new when finished. Fast turn around and customer service is great. $125 for the wheel and $12 to do the mounting for me. If you are thinking about ordering online from them I highly recommend it. They will make it right if there are any problems, I am pretty sure.