Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERVICE ENGINE light

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SERVICE ENGINE light

Hey all!
I've got a small issue I've been ignoring for a couple of weeks, because it seems fairly benign. But now I'm coming due for the annual inspection, and I'm going to need to do something about it.

My Service Engine light comes-on intermittently. It started during the cold weather, it'd come on for a day or two at a time, then off for a week. Lately, those times have reversed, and the light is on more than it's off.

I drove the car for a couple of hours friday, and parked it with the light off. This morning, the light was off until the engine was at normal operating temp, and then the light came back on.

I could use some help diagnosing, or some suggestions of what is typical on this car.

Thanks

Old 07-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The check engine light generally means there is a problem with the emission control system. If the light is blinking, there is a problem with the catalytic converter or a problem exists that can damage the catalytic converter. If it's solid, it could be something simple, such as not tightening the gas cap all the way when you last got gas, or it could be something much more complex.

Any smog check/repair station would be able to run a diagnostic test on it and tell what's going on and can reset the light. Of course, there is always a Jag dealer that can fix it for you as well, but they will most likely charge you an arm and a leg for it if it's not under warranty.

Good luck!

Old 07-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You need to get the code read with a scan tool. There are dozens and dozens of OBD II fault codes so to ask for what is typical isn't going to work. And the check engine light does NOT just mean a problem with the emission system. It could be casued by an brake problem, a tranny problem, and even a computer network problem. So, agian, bottom line, you need to have the car scanned for codes.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I was a little vague before...let me clear that up. Like I said, the check engine light generally means there is a problem with the emission control system. The check engine light is part of the Onboard Diagnostic (OBD) System, which was originally put into cars to troubleshoot problems / malfunctions with the vehicle. With the introduction of the OBD II system, standard on vehicles produced in '96 - current, the OBD was required to regulate the emissions coming from the vehicle, essentially acting as an "onboard emission testing station." The check engine light is specifically for troubleshooting malfunctions that may have an impact on emissions. So yes, the trouble could be a fault with the tranny, or the computer system if it's affecting the emissions of the vehicle.

Yes, an OBD II code reader will tell you the fault code, but I was under the impression that those are fairly expensive. I, of course, may be wrong. I've never had to look into it, as none of my vehcles have had a check engine light come on so I can't speak from experience.

Last edited by ajl1212; 07-07-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I got mine from the Auto Barn for about $230. It has paid for itself 10 times over! Mine is made by Auto X-Ray. I am known as the "Scan Man" at work beacuse everyone asks me to bring it in to scan their cars when the beloved MIL light comes on!

http://www.autobarn.net/auez40.html

Last edited by JagXV6; 07-08-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

OBDII code readers can be had for as little as $70 at Autozone/Advance Auto/etc. But, there are more expensive ones depending on what other options you want.