X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Servicing/Maintaining your X yourself

Old 12-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Servicing/Maintaining your X yourself

My 2003 X has 80,000 miles on it and I am going to try and do the scheduled service myself. The *********** wants to charge me $300, I already gave them $850 at 60,000 miles for what I seriously think all they did was do an oil change and a dance around my Jag.

So here it goes, these are my questions from the "check/fill" list they faxed me…
1) In the oil change line, it mentions replace oil, filter, and sump washer. What in the world is a “sump washer”?
2) It mentions to grease drive shaft universal joints. How do I do that?
3) Is applying Jaguar screen clean paste, the same as if I put rainX on the windshield?
4) How can I check the drive belt tension indicator?

Thanks guys[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Servicing/Maintaining your X yourself

1. the washer that goes on the oil drain plug. manual says to change with every oil change.

2. i would assume you need a grease gun with the proper fitting. can be bought at wal-mart or any auto parts store.

3. basically, ya.

4. no clue on this one.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:12 AM

yeah, was due for my 60k check up , pulled the maintenance schedule from this wonderful site and was on my way, paid less than $150 for that ine. get ready for big money for 100k. a real pain those spark plugs will be!!Bill

Old 12-05-2007, 09:22 AM

ORIGINAL: bojangles

there are some windshield cleaning products out there, they are the opposite of rain-x .. they remove all coating build up on the glass..
I have used them to get the glass super clean and then applied a fresh coat of rain-x and all is great... my opinion is that this is NOT the same as rain-x

I think on the tensionner pulley there is a mark that shows if it is in the right position. As the belt wears, or stretches. the tension pully moves a few mm in the direction that makes the belt tighter. I think that a peek with a flashlight (torch) around the tensionner pully will show the marks.. If you cant see it.. let us know.. I will look at mine and see if it is obvious to me.
thanx, I will check back in after I look around

Old 12-05-2007, 09:24 AM

ORIGINAL: nineball

2. i would assume you need a grease gun with the proper fitting. can be bought at wal-mart or any auto parts store.
what are the universal joints that need to be lubed?

Old 12-05-2007, 10:31 AM

I'm not sure if you know what a u joint is or where they are on a jag? if you know what a u joint is it's the same for every car I owned. in proper english they're called prop or propeller shafts, they have small nipples that come to a perceived "u" and you attach the grease gun and squeese until there is grease coming out. not sure if there is a special grease required, I'd call jag to make sure but this is a very easy job with a jack, or lift, good luck, Bill

Old 12-05-2007, 11:13 AM

is itthe endsof the inserted pic? Soam I lubing up two u joints per axle? Total of 8 lube points?

I am going to putting the X on stands so I will be able to get under there

Old 12-05-2007, 11:23 AM

just got off the phone with the parts guy at the local *********** and asked if they had any special grease to grease the u joints. He said the X only has a prop shaft, and it can not be greased.