X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Several Issues with my 03 X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Several Issues with my 03 X-Type

First my engine light is not going off. Second, it runs out of gas when the gage gets to a quarter tank. It didn't do this before when the light wasn't on. Next the A/C Compressor clutch is not engaging. And last (for now) I keep getting "Gearbox Failure". If I turn the car off and sit for about 5 minutes it goes away. I need to at least get the transmission issue fixed so I can sell it without feeling guilty. Some one please help me!!!!

Old 07-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

OhioJag, as for your gas tank issue, I would venture to guess that your transfer pump is shot and you are left with a partial tank of fuel (there is a hump in the tank and the transfer pump moves the fuel to the main fuel pump). There are 2 level sensors in the fuel tank. So, with the transfer pump not working, the one side of the tank is still partially full, therefore will cause the level gauge to indicate wrong. I would check to see if the plug for the transfer pump is plugged in. That would be the most likely cause for what you are seeing.

As for the check engine light, go to your local auto parts store and they will read the code(s) for you for free. Then post the codes here and we can take it from there. I am placing money though that the codes are going to say something to the effect of the computer not being able to see the transfer pump.

As for the transmission issue, that would probably be something best left to a professional shop. You can take it to a shop and they can read the tranny codes (can't be read at the local auto parts store as it takes a much higher level of code reader for that). That will tell them what is wrong with the tranny. Could be something silly, could be something serious.

As for the A/C clutch, I would check the fuses for the clutch (F23 and F36). Either one of those blowing could take out the compressor clutch. After that, try swapping relay R6 with relay R15. If the A/C system works fine then, you have a bad relay. You can verify that your old R6 relay is good by checking that your fog lights come on normally (ie, pulling the headlight switch out 1 click) and then also your high beams come on when you pull back on the turn signal stalk.

if you need more help, just hollar.

Relay R6