X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I put lucas in my x?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Should I put lucas in my x?

I have an 02 x 2.5 manual with only 38K km and I was thinking of adding lucas to my synthetic engine oil in at 20-50% and also after reading the bottle for the lucas that you would put into your engine it states it can be added to the differential also. Would you guys reccomend adding this to the engine, differentialand transfer case? and if so what percentages? I was thinking for the diff and transfer case to go 100%

Also looking to possibly do a tranny fluid change. Wondering if I could put the tranny fluid version of lucas into my tranny if so what percentages?

Old 03-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should I put lucas in my x?

I wouldn't add any additives to the engine, as these can cause more harm than good.

however in the tranny, lucas is highly recommended.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

dont lucas it...lucas oils foam and oxegenate when "whipped" and that provides pockets of air where the oil pump has to work extra hard. I suggest a good synthetic or even a good conventional if you change every 5K mi or less.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

LOL, looks like it's snake oil too [&:]

Old 03-17-2008, 06:28 PM

I noticed wavy oil pressure when i used it in my last truck. It never got low, but didnt seem right. After long drives if you pulled the dipstick out, it would have foam almost half way up it. It only started when i used it and ended afterwards.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:30 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Use Castrol Syntec and be done with it..

Old 03-17-2008, 07:01 PM

thats whats in mine now! Plus a mobil 1 filter. Getting ready go mobile1, royal purple, or AMSoil.

Trending Topics

Old 03-17-2008, 08:38 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Let this charthelp you decide on which is the best oil for engine wear protection..

Old 03-18-2008, 07:43 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

since you say pockets of air form and it foams up, then I assume it is not a good idea to put it into the diff and transfer case. Wow, I was convinced that lucas was the best thing since slice bread... I am heart broken... I guess I will put it in the tranny then.

What about oil changes? i went into Canadian tire this past weekend to buy a oil filter and they said they do not sell them they are a dealer only item. Can anyone confirm if this is true? I asked my mechanic and he said you are better of going to jag for a oil change and spending $100 since a oil filter is about $30-40 and then you will need to buy 2 jugs of synthetic oil since my car takes 5 point somethign L of oil.

What are your thoughts? anyone know what kind of synthetic oil jag uses? Should I just buy the parts and do it my self or suck it up and go to jag?

I took a look at my oil filter the other day, does not look liek anythign special... theres only about 2 companies out there who make oil filters so I dont fore see any thing special about a oil filter from jag other than being a cash grab... correct me if I am wrong.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

mr. xtype, here is a link regarding a Lucas oil additive test: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

I would say get a high quuality synthetic or non syn if you prefer to leave it at that. Good oils have additives to prevent foaming and rightfully so.

To second Dennis above, I went with Amsoil 5w-30 synthetic. I used to be a preferred Amsoil customer and got a 20% discount but I found this oil locally for $60 for 8 quarts. The Jag only needs 7 but I like to have an extra around for top-offs.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:12 AM

chas, thanks for the plug bro! This guy seems to have viable proof of the foaming. A GOOD synthetic or conventional is perfect.

Take my dirtbike for example (possibly one of the most abused machines). When i bought it, i changed the oil. The guy had always used a really good oil. The oil came out looking just fine. Dark, but that means it did its job. I changed it to a different, but very good sythetic. Never had any problems with the oil. Changed it to a good conventional, never any problems. Then i changed it this last time light of being in a hurry with a low grade super cheap oil. When i drained the case after only one ride the stuff was silver and oxegenated (i rode it right before hand to warm it up). After that i went back to a soog synthetic, and of course this problem is gone. Prime example why to use GOOD oil. Saving a few dollars will cost you a fortune later.

And as far as a filter goes, i buy mine at the local parts store all the time. Here is a link with a bunch of different part numbers for them. These are common filters and are used on a variety of vehicles. http://www.autozone.com/addVehicleId...leSelected.htm

Old 03-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

ORIGINAL: mr.xtype

What about oil changes? i went into Canadian tire this past weekend to buy a oil filter and they said they do not sell them they are a dealer only item. Can anyone confirm if this is true? I asked my mechanic and he said you are better of going to jag for a oil change and spending $100 since a oil filter is about $30-40 and then you will need to buy 2 jugs of synthetic oil since my car takes 5 point somethign L of oil.
Purolator oil filters are avalable from about $3 from Advance.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...=1&PTSet=A

The following users liked this post:
MichiganJag (03-03-2024)