Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Repeater Bulb Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Repeater Bulb Replacement

Hey all,

I've got a side repeater bulb that needs replacing and the directions in the owner's manual says to push the lens towards the front of the vehicle to remove it. I have been trying this with my hands to no avail. I cannot get the lens to move at all, pushing it both ways. Anyone have any other tips or tricks on replacing this bulb?

Here is the lens I'm trying to remove...

Old 03-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Marvin, I find using a flat bladed screw driver with some tape covering the end (or other similiar device) can be used and inserting it between the light and the chrome trim piece and then pushing the lens towards the point of the lens (in this case towards the rear bumper). After you move it about 1/4", you should be able to pull it straight out. The pointy end of the side lights has a friction clip to it and from my experience they tend to catch on the back of the bumper cover. When you go to insert the lens again, put the flat end against the bumper, allow the hook on this end to get under the bumper cover and then gently press the friction clip into place.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thermo, worked just like you said it would. Thanks for the tip!! And I now realize that is not the repeater... Saw somewhere on the forums there are clear lenses for the repeater... Me thinks that would look nice on silver.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Marvin, yes, they do sell the clear side (repeater) lenses, but they don't sell them for the ones on the bumper. Only the ones next to the door. So, it can look a little goofey if the repeaters next to the doors are clear, but the ones in the bumper are still colored. To each their own. I tend to agree that if you could convert all the lenses to clear, it would look better. But, to the best of my knowledge, they don't make what you are after for all 6 lenses.

Now, if you want them all blackened out, let me know. I did that to my car. Looks good on the British green. The lenses almost blend right into the body now. If you look in my gallery, there should be some pics of them. It is an easy process. But, I recommend using an air brush and just not spraying it out of the spray paint can. Tends to go on too thick and too uneven.