X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple Question: Transmission Cooler Lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Question Simple Question: Transmission Cooler Lines

Hey guys, just had a straightforward question that I haven't been able to find any information on. Looking at the cooling of the X Type automatic transmission, which is the "fluid out" line and which is the "fluid in line" on the transmission cooler?
>see attached image

Attached Thumbnails Simple Question: Transmission Cooler Lines-x-type-transmission-fluid-cooler.png  
Old 09-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

I could have answered this a few months ago when I had the engine and transmission out. I test spun the engine with the sparkplugs out when I got the engine reattached to the transmission. Copious amounts of fluid did come out of one of the cooler lines but I don't recall which it was. I'm pretty sure it is the one on top that is "from". But I won't swear to it.

If no one can answer and it's important enough, disconnect both of the hoses and feed them into separate catch bottles. Disable the ignition or fuel supply and spin the engine for just a few seconds. The one with the most fluid in the catch bottle is the "from the trans" line.

But chances are pretty good that somebody knows without going through all this, so you might hold off on that to see if someone else replies.

The following users liked this post:
aCapiz (09-08-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by AlfaVeloce
I could have answered this a few months ago when I had the engine and transmission out. I test spun the engine with the sparkplugs out when I got the engine reattached to the transmission. Copious amounts of fluid did come out of one of the cooler lines but I don't recall which it was. I'm pretty sure it is the one on top that is "from". But I won't swear to it.

If no one can answer and it's important enough, disconnect both of the hoses and feed them into separate catch bottles. Disable the ignition or fuel supply and spin the engine for just a few seconds. The one with the most fluid in the catch bottle is the "from the trans" line.

But chances are pretty good that somebody knows without going through all this, so you might hold off on that to see if someone else replies.

Thanks, yeah I'm also leaning to the top hose being the "from transmission to cooler". If I can't get a concrete answer I will just do what you described.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:30 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

aCapiz, let me look in my information. I am sure I can find the info that you are after. I will get back to you later this afternoon as I am at work right now and don't have the info with me.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:56 AM

Awesome! thanks Thermo!

Old 09-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

aCapiz, well, I have been searching high and low for the answer and I have found lots of great info, but not which line is what. One option is to simply take the car for a drive and then touch the lines to see which one is hotter. The hotter line will be the one leaving the tranny and going to the cooler. If you have an IR thermometer, that would work too so you can get a relative temp of the lines too.

Otherwise, I think you are going to end up doing what the one member said and to remove the line and see which end the fluid comes out of.

aCapiz (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Thermo
aCapiz, well, I have been searching high and low for the answer and I have found lots of great info, but not which line is what. One option is to simply take the car for a drive and then touch the lines to see which one is hotter. The hotter line will be the one leaving the tranny and going to the cooler. If you have an IR thermometer, that would work too so you can get a relative temp of the lines too.

Otherwise, I think you are going to end up doing what the one member said and to remove the line and see which end the fluid comes out of.
Thanks for your time Thermo. I will get a hold of an IR Thermometer and check it that way.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

I like the IR thermometer idea. Elegant. But remember you'll have to take that reading very, very quickly after you stop, because as soon as you quit moving forward, the heat exchanger quits working (to a large degree).

Old 09-10-2013, 08:28 PM

Thanks for your help guys. I just checked and can confirm the TOP hose going to the Tranny Cooler is the HOT line (from the tranny) and the BOTTOM hose is the COLD from the cooler back to the tranny.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Top out, bottom in...

Top is out, bottom is in. I just tapped into the line and installed this,
B&M 80277 Universal Remote Transmission Filter Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive B&M 80277 Universal Remote Transmission Filter Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive
. ID of the lines is 3/8.

Sleeperau (04-14-2024)