X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I'm thinking about selling the X...

Old 11-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts
Default So I'm thinking about selling the X...

Hey Guys,

So I'm thinking about selling my car... Just too much going on, and I think I need to get into an SUV.

It's located in Central, NJ.

I threw it up on Craigslist to see what kind (if any of a response) it would get....

Take a look and tell me what you think, especially the pricing...

http://cnj.craigslist.org/car/470040580.html

Take care,

George

Old 11-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: So I'm thinking about selling the X...

I'm sure AWD will be a great selling point in NJ, but I'm not so sure about the price. Is it an auto or manual tranny? The auto trannies are known to be weak. So if your potential buyer takes a peek here and finds that out, it'll be just that much harder to sell the car.

10k OBO. You may take a bit of a loss, but if you really need an SUV, then I say do what you have to do to get the $$$. If you trade it in, they'll rape you. But I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know.

Just for ***** and giggles...My car was about 11k or so. They gave the previous owner 7k for the trade in. And my car is an X-Type Sport 2.5 with the manual with everything except navi.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member

Car is an auto.... so far so good. I really need to edit the post to reflect that. I forgot the X even came in a manual lol... Thanks for pointing that out. No issues so far. I have replaced the "sealed for life" fluid.

I was offered 9500 on a straight buy from a dealer here (who is a personal friend).

Where in the country are you located? It seems that in general luxury cars seem to do well in the Northeast. I know a couple dealers who buy them down south, where american cars / suv's seem to be more popular, and bring them up here, and make $$$$ on them, and bring suv's and stuff down south to sell.

Take care and thanks for the advice,

George

Old 11-06-2007, 12:32 AM
one
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was offered 9500 on a straight buy from a dealer here (who is a personal friend).
If he says that again with money in his hand rip his arm completely off and pocket it along with the money.

You are 30k miles over the factory wty - approaching the big 100k, you have the 2.5 which is low on the totem pole with the 3.0 and 3.0 deluxe (forgot the technical name of it) and the car is turning 5 yrs old in a few months. It's an auto tranny so with or without "fresh fluid" it has a design flaw and anyone researching will easily find this out before buying. Some of these tranny's have dropped at 25k miles, light years before the fluid was ever a factor.

Buyer loyalty is already low enough on Jags with the old one's just flat out having issues (engine related) to the newer one's having electrical and transmission problems (since ford bought them) so selling a jag is already an uphill battle.

You gotta love them to own them. You gotta beg to sell them and get anything back. I'd be waiting on his doorstep in the morning with a pen in hand for him to sign the check.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

9500? TAKE IT! Believe me, the headache is not worth it for an extra 500-1000 dollars. I know you're asking $11K, but I'm sure that's negotiable.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: bojangles

NOBODY NEEDS an SUV..... that is absurd ...
How wasteful to even think of one.... lol
Ok, I'm open to suggestions here, here are my requirements for a vehicle.

1) Must be able to carry me, wife, two children and associated luggage for vacation.
2) I regularly in the course of my buisness need to transport cylinder heads, engine blocks, fully assembled rotating assembilies, etc. Mostly american v8's. Oh and the Occasional transmission. I Need a vehicle capable of that as well.
3) I have two boxers which sometimes need or we like to take for a ride. The cage seperator behind the back seat would make for a lovely way to do it. (The dogs do NOT go in the jag)
4). I sometimes have the need to transport vehicles that do not have a drivetrain installed. I have access to an open car trailer for this purpose, but need my own tow vehicle. Currently relying on a friend with a flatbed, who charges me $30 per tow, and I have to work around his schedule.
5) I need a vehicle capable of driving in winter condtions. With the AWD the Jag was actually pretty good at this.

Currently I have a 1994 ford ranger pickup which i use as a beater work truck, but its got 213k and it's on it's last legs, and is rotting from the inside out. I really would like to have one vehicle that would fuffil all these needs.

Care to suggest one that isn't an SUV??

Take care,

George

Old 11-06-2007, 02:58 PM

It doesn't matter if you want to buy a Hummer H2 that gets 12MPG and load the back of it up with sand bags as well as pull your boat around "just in case you feel like fishing," all for the sole purpose of driving yourself and nothing else 300 miles round trip to commute everyday... It's your money. Buy an SUV if you want one. You shouldn't have to justify needing one.

I owned a Grand Cherokee for a few years, and loved it. I rarely ever hauled anything in it, but having the space was nice when it was needed. At the time, the gas prices were around $2 a gallon so it really didn't cost me that much more to drive it than something more economical - even though it got roughly 17MPG. I liked it for the fact that I sat up high and it drove very well in the winter snow.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yo man, tough call but I think unless you really LOVE your car take the offer, better then vhancing it and being screwed with another bill and still trying to sell the thing 6 months down the road. Didn't know the X came in a manual option, tight. Ever thought of a Volvo V70R ? I'm a little biased but it's fun as hell to drive, AWD and autobox but hell it's solid, safe, fast and does the trick in winter, but Im in VA not NJ ! later and good luck.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  7.4 KB

I was thinkin Volvo too.....specifically the XC90 if you have them over there?
A fairly good compromises between an SUV and a car that pretty much does both jobs with plenty of space to boot.
A good all rounder from Volvo

Jim

Old 11-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you looking to buy a new or used SUV? If I were you, I'd look into getting a used American 4x4/AWD SUV. If you can handle the gas prices, you can get one for a damn good price right now and they're rock solid. I own a 2002 Ford Explorer with 155k on it and all i've ever got done was oil changes, brakes, tires, and some ball joints.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:53 PM

ORIGINAL: SpartanX

Are you looking to buy a new or used SUV? If I were you, I'd look into getting a used American 4x4/AWD SUV. If you can handle the gas prices, you can get one for a damn good price right now and they're rock solid. I own a 2002 Ford Explorer with 155k on it and all i've ever got done was oil changes, brakes, tires, and some ball joints.
Agreed... My Jeep Grand Cherokee had 190,000 miles on it when I got rid of it and it was still running strong. It leaked a small amount of oil, but that's expected on a car with that much mileage. Aside from that, in 5 years of ownership the only thing that I had to do to it besides normal maintenance is clean out the throttle body 1 time due to some hesitation on accelleration.