Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some questions about the car

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Some questions about the car

Ok, so i kow our cars have awd (who deosn't), but do we have stability control and whatt else? Are there any mofications that can be made to the engine that allows the car to benefit? And when you purchase the lower grile, do u remove the spilter or not, half of mines missing and the autobody guy wants me to buy a new one for close to 1 grand? and i'm thinking it would be better, cheaper, and longer lasting if i just got mesh put in.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Disco, yes, you can modify the engine (turbo, headers, new exhaust, etc), but first off, keep in mind that the transfer case can barely handle the stock motor. How do you think that it is going to last when you start adding more power? Secondly, there aren't a lot of aftermarket stuff for the X, therefore what you can find is going to be either very expensive or will need to be a 1 off thing (again, more money). If you are looking for cheap performance mods, start with about $500 and that will get you something. After that, keep raising the price. I don't mean to sound blunt, but that is the facts of this car. Personally, if you are wanting something that will go very fast, then I would recommend saving up a few bucks and getting something like a GTO, Mustang or other similiar vehicle and modifying that. The parts are much easier to come by and cheaper to get.

As for the splitter down low on your car, unless you are needing the support structure, I am sure you can get it much cheaper than $1000. Talk with Ken@britishparts.com here on the forums. He should be able to get it for you. Otherwise, look on E-bay and find yourself a mesh kit. Much cheaper than $1000 and will also give you a custom look.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah i understand completely, so do u need to have the spiltter in order to put the mesh one? I thought about the new gto, but it dosen't give e exclusive edge, and i'm not a big fan of the rear end on that car. I'm planning on getting the k and N filter and exhaust this year for sure. But if u've looked at the show car for baer brakes i'd like to have a simalr exhuast set up. Im talking about modifications like cold air intake, all the ones i've seen seam cheap and a waste of money.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco stu55
Yeah i understand completely, so do u need to have the spiltter in order to put the mesh one?
No. The splitter has got to go to install the lower mesh grill, along with the tow hook receiver cover and all the vertical vanes that the splitter clipped to...

Old 06-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member

okay, thats good, when my car was rear ended, the shop fixed it up good, and i liked them. And now that u mention that, when ii asked autobody estimator about eh splittler and mesh he said i had to have it, and he added some other bs to the list, the total was 2600, and im getting it all fixed for a couple hundered bucks, this really pisses me off, that i can't even trust a autobody mechanic when i need too, or he's taking advantage of a 16 year old jag driver, it drives me nuts. But i did some of the repair my self, thermo, do u know how i can switch off the dynamic stabilty control.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:42 PM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why do you want to switch off the DSC? seems like a dumb thing to do to me.
It is there to protect you when you make a mistake driving, that is a high probability thing with a young driver in a fancy car.

I highly recommend that the very best way for you to go faster is to go to an advanced driver school put on by one of the car clubs. I recommmend bmw cca. they seem to be excellent. If you are driving past the traction abilities of even a stock x-type - you are doing something really
a) silly
b) stupid
c) totally against newton's laws of motion

Old 06-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

i agree with 99.999..... repeating percent, but i just want to see what the car feels like with out it on, does i make the wheels spin at all? thats what im trying to get at.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:25 AM
ud

anyway back to your question.
not all cars have DSC. there is a button behind the shifter, on the centre console if you do have dsc. that button turns the dsc on and off.

Now to confuse things, I think ALL cars have traction control, to limit wheelspin. That system cannot be turned off.
THe only way you are going to see the difference is when you are driving in snow/sand... or about to crash.

have you driven in snow?

Old 06-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stu, you're trying so hard to modify your car that I wonder if you still take time to enjoy driving it!

That being said, the DSC button should be just below your transmission if I recall correctly. The icon on the button is of a car (seen from the back) on a slippery road.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

Severn, of course i take tim to enhjoy, i just regret not geting the 3.0l, i did siome researchont he car before i went out to buy, and i forgot that, i fell in love with this car, and didn't get the 3.0l, but what ever. Yeah, i've decided, this is not a race car, beemer hunter, even though i have beat a old fat guy in a z4 3.0l, but will beat alot of cars. I'm just going to enjoy it, but i'd like to keeop the engine/ drive train as long as possible, for insance the k-n filter, free up the exhuast restrictions. And yes i have driven in snow, to be exact -50 degree celsius, and this car is amazing in snow, i think its better then some of those big rig awd, 4 by 4's. Its saved my *** a few times lol.

But that doesn't mean it can't look like a beemer hunter, like mane's x

Old 06-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont have a DSC batton i my x-type the car the wheels are not going to spin

i know it's a fancy car but it's also fun 2 drive & i personally drifft on my x-type
i'll soon show the video on youtube

& about the cold air intake the best way is to relocate the battery to the trunk so you will have the space for it

Old 06-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

yeah, i like to drift, but only in winter, i've only done it once on dry pavement, and i don't have a dsc button in my 2002 x ethier

Old 06-30-2009, 06:02 PM
ud

meemo.... better start saving for some driveline parts.... they WILL break if you drive the x hard enough to drift on pavement..... find a 3 series for that kinda fun.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

yeah i only did it once, i never really push my x, its my money that i spent on it, and i care too much about, however,the pos ford that im driving while my car gets fixed, i drive that thing agressivly