X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some quick advice needed with overheating issue.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some quick advice needed with overheating issue.

First, let me introduce myself! My name is Steve, and I own a 2003 X-Type 2.5L. I have been browsing here since I bought the car, and have just signed up. I do really enjoy reading the forums, and hopefully I can contribute to them as well!

I have a bit of an issue with my jag... Here's what happened. Two days ago when I got home from work (about an hour commute), I turned the car off and the fan kept running. I started the car again and noticed that the temp gauge was about an eigth of an inch on the hot side from center. I popped the hood and noticed that the coolant reservoir had overflowed and there was antifreeze spilled out, which emptied the reservoire completely. I refilled the reservoire and haven't had a single problem since, and have put about 200 miles on the car.

My question is this; Has anyone run into this before? Is this a common problem by chance?

What I am guessing is happening is that the thermostat stuck in a closed position and the coolant wasn't able to circulate, which caused it to overflow and the engine to slightly overheat. Once unstuck, everything is now operating as usual again. I'm thinking that I ust need to replace the thermostat and all will be well. I guess that I am just looking for opinions, as you guys are all owners as well. Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 10-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Some quick advice needed with overheating issue.

Of those 200 miles you've put on it again, how much of it has been heavy commuter traffic?

Old 10-19-2007, 02:53 PM

Of the 200 miles, none of it was heavy commuter traffic - almost all highway miles going to work. The problem occurred under those circumstances though - there wasn't any traffic when it overheated and I usually drive like a grandma. haha! However I did drive the car really hard in an attempt to overheat it in those 200 miles. I floored it everywhere, everything ran fine. That's what is making me thing the thermostat was sticking in the closed position because I can't replicate the problem.

It was definitely not normal, as the reservoire overflowed and dumped out... But that would be caused by the sticky thermostat too... I hope that is the problem, and am almost certain that it is! I am checking on here basically to make sure that I'm not missing something that is common to the x-type that only an x-type owner that has had a similar problem would know. (A sensor malfunction, etc)

Don't worry about the dealer being expensive to swap out a thermostat... I do all my own work and have swapped motors before - I think I can handle this one! My last car before the jag was a 99 cougar that I heavily modified, so I am very familiar with the duratec platform too. I think that this weekend I'll pick up a new thermostat and swap it out to see if that fixes everything. Thanks again for the help, and let me know if you guys think that it may be something else!

(2 pics of the old cougar for old times sake... It may not be everyone's style, but I had fun with it!)

http://blogphotohost.com/show.php?id...1c96G4370aGd8e
http://blogphotohost.com/show.php?id...1c965G370Z3d8e

Old 10-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum,
Mine always runs a tiny fraction below midway on the temp gauge....traffic,motorways,hills....stays in exactly the same place.
Its not a problem I have heard of in 2.5 years since buying mine and I know a lot of people with these cars.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:48 PM

I figured out the problem! After work tonight, I took out the thermostat and boiled it to see what it would do - and it is sticking! When it should normally open, it only opens partially to about 15% of what it should and sticks for a while - then opens to about 80% or so and that's it. I bet that what happened the other day is that it opened to the 15% mark and then didn't open any further for the drive, and that's why the coolant tank overflowed... It looks like I'll get out of this one for $10 at the parts store! Thanks so much for looking at my problem and offering suggestions! I appreciate the help and will return the favor when I can!

Old 10-19-2007, 09:53 PM

ORIGINAL: BuckMR2

Hi and welcome to the forum,
Mine always runs a tiny fraction below midway on the temp gauge....traffic,motorways,hills....stays in exactly the same place.
Its not a problem I have heard of in 2.5 years since buying mine and I know a lot of people with these cars.
Mine normally runs at that spot too. It is like a 1/16 of an inch on the cool side of the middle.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mines the same...any pics or anything on thermostat change? Could add to the faq section...Nice to hear you didn't have to pay out the well you know...

Old 10-21-2007, 08:20 PM

Unfortunately, I didn't even think to take pics of it... I'll remember that and make a how-to on the next repair I do though (which hopefully wont be for a while, haha).

Thanks again for the help!

Old 10-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah definitely no need to rush the next repair! Where exactly is it located on the engine though...haven't looked into it just curious....how long would it take a somewhat savvy person...

Old 10-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  7.4 KB

Hi there sbxt..........welcome to the forum mate, sorry to hear bout your probs but sounds like you got it under control
Nice one!
As Aquill says, anything like that in the future, yeah, take pics etc and do a write up on it............Always lookin to add to the FAQ section.

Hope to see more of you sbxt

Jim

Old 10-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah for sure...already a useful poster...