X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker selection

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 10:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Speaker selection

So I've been thinking of doing a complete sound system on my x400, and I wanted to get directed in the right direction, I know there's a few threads around here somewhere just have been lazy to find them. Anyway I wanted to know what speakers to get any recommended? If so what size for all four and as well as a head unit and an amplifier. Brands and sizes and anything that can be of help. Thank you jaguar enthusiast 👍

Old 06-18-2015, 12:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I have is in my signature. Pioneer decks are generally better though.
Feel free to ask any questions.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:32 AM

The mounting depth is shallow on the front doors though. You will probably need spacer rings. I used mdf.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by jarrod_9427
The mounting depth is shallow on the front doors though. You will probably need spacer rings. I used mdf.
Any thread links ? Thanks for your help. How does it sound n what kind of pioneers are they ? I did a quick research n I found out an article claiming that pioneer a series speakers were the best ones in today's market. True or false ?

Old 06-18-2015, 09:27 AM

When I said pioneer, I'm talking about the head unit only.
Their speakers and subs are very far from being the best. It all depends on what you want and how much money you're willing to spend.
I don't have any thread links. I can tell you how to install spacer rings. It's pretty easy.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:03 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I just replaced all of my speakers with Focal 165 Components, but you will need plastic spacer rings which I found on ebay in the US. I kept my OEM radio as its built into the satnav but it doesn't really have enough power to drive the Focals so I fitted a Alpine KTP 445A in line amp which fits neatly behind the centre console at the side of the shift quadrant, saves a lot of wiring if you use an amp mounted elsewhere.
It sounds a lot better than the original system and didn't cost a fortune, just contemplating on whether to fit a separate amp and sub in the boot.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:43 PM

Thanks norcat for that suggestion, didn't think of that but now is in my plans. Now as far as speakers go what do you guys think ? I don't mind spending good money on this since it's a sound system. I remember long time ago I bough some speakers for an Acura legend that I had. I didn't spend a lot on them and they were pioneer n it sounded alright but not the best. So for this project I want close to the best. So what size of speakers and spacers should I get in that case ?

Old 06-18-2015, 10:00 PM

Speaker rings made from mdf give better sound quality.

In my opinion focals are way over priced.
Try companies like Crescendo, incriminator, ampere, sound qubed, or sundown. I like my infinity kappas.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by jarrod_9427
Speaker rings made from mdf give better sound quality.

In my opinion focals are way over priced.
Try companies like Crescendo, incriminator, ampere, sound qubed, or sundown. I like my infinity kappas.
Nice thank you. Now what size of rings should I get and what size of speakers for both the front and rear ?

Old 06-19-2015, 01:22 PM

You'll only need the spacer rings for the front doors. The rear is optional, the only reason to do it would be for sound quality purposes. I would suggest only 1/2 or even 1/4 in thick if you put them on the back door though. I used 3/4 in. think 6 1/2 spacer rings for the front. Its literally just a ring of mdf. It does require drilling and screwing them onto the door first. Unless you make them custom, or have them made, with the mounting holes in the correct spots. I see no reason not to just drill the holes though. It's easy and can't be seen. Also, you'll want to seal the mdf to prevent it from rotting away due to moisture. Any rustoleum paint will work, or an oil based paint. I just used rustoleum.

The speakers are all 6 1/2. For the front and rear doors, as well as the rear upper deck. I have 6 speakers in mine. I have infinity kappa 62.11i's. They're 75w RMS a piece. I did however just order 2 Crescendo PWX6 6 1/2 mid bass speakers. These will replace the infinity kappas in my rear deck. They're 150 RMS and only 36.99 a piece. I'll let you know how these are and how they fit when I get them, some reviews say they don't fit in stock speaker mounts since they're a bit oversized.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling for now. Hopefully that helps, and if you have any questions on amps or wire(since wire actually plays a bigger part than people think) let me know.

Also, here is a couple links for speaker rings.
Amazon.com: 3 Case Pack Kit 6.5" MDF Speaker Subwoofer Spacer 3/4" Rings with Gorilla Glue: Electronics Amazon.com: 3 Case Pack Kit 6.5" MDF Speaker Subwoofer Spacer 3/4" Rings with Gorilla Glue: Electronics

Install Bay SR6 One Pair of 6-3/4" x 3/4" MDF Speaker Rings

Ebay is a good source for these as well. You can always search for different thickness if you would like.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:44 PM

Awesome help. Thank you. Been looking at those spacers will order them as soon as I make up my mind on the speakers. But good news I got this head unit
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/DVD-Receivers/AVH-4100NEX

Might be a bit too much for the jag but I like it thanks for the suggestion on pioneer. Now I already order the installation kit, should be coming in anytime this week. As for the installation itself I was debating on DIY or taking it to a shop. What do u guys think ?
I don't mind a little wiring playing but the head unit itself looks a little intimidating with rca connectors and hdmi also video connectors. But I know at the shops they might rip me off

Old 06-23-2015, 12:22 AM

You can do it yourself. It's all pretty simple. The only problem you may run into depends on where the RCA plugs are.
As long as they're toward the bottom you should be ok, but if not the double din won't fit properly.
I looked it up and from the pictures I found it seems like it should fit. It looks like they're recessed into the back, so hopefully you'll be ok.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:12 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I've been piecing together the parts i need to upgrade my system, but I'm keeping the head unit stock for the steering controls etc...so I have to go the route of a Line Converter with a High Pass Input (Speaker wire input) to accomplish this. I've procured a AudioControl line converter to serve my needs. AudioControl has always been good in the Line Driver, Crossover, Line Converter, EQ department so I'm happy to have one for my application. I juggled the thought of replacing the mid-bass speakers in the rear shelf, but I'm not sure I'll hear the benefit with a few 10's in the boot. So I'm using the wires to the mid-bass speakers as my avenue to High inputs for the Line Converter which will have RCA Outs to an Amp (Currently a 4CH Xtant)

That aside, each person is going to have a different opinion of speakers depending on their ear for music and sound. It also has a lot to do with the acoustics of the car. You could go with MB Quart, Focal or Diamond separates for the doors but you might find them to be a bit crisp and heavy on the treble and tingy at high notes. In a few of my other cars of the past I had Boston Acoustics, Pioneer and old school Soundstream speakers (when they were really at the their peak and good quality - late 90's early 2000's) and I think I liked the Soundstream separates the best. The Boston and Pioneers performed well as 6x9's. The Soundstreams had all around good balanced sound and were very clear, but they have since sold to another audio conglomerate that I don't think carries the same standard of quality. I also like Alpine separates and Kicker. The thing about Kicker is they offer a mid-bass 6.5 that simulates a small 8" and can supplement subs in the trunk if you have 4 in the doors. If you want a coaxial 6.5, my opinion is Alpine or Boston or Focal. Alpine and Bostons are going to be warmer and softer on the sound and not quite as crisp and sharp in the treble level. Focals are warm with a greater level of crispness in the treble. Just my two sense and what my ears have heard.

P.S. - My plan is to run the AudioControl Line Converter, via the speaker wires to the 6.5's in the rear shelf, to my 4CH Xtant and run 2 Eclipse Aluminum DVC 10's. I'll also be replacing my current stock Alpines with upgraded Alpine separates (unless I can get a hold of some brand new old school Soundstreams) for the inside. I'll leave the head unit stock and suffer the drawback of still not being able to hook up my iphone to listen to my tunes. 1st world problems I suppose.

Last edited by ugotmale; 06-24-2015 at 03:47 AM.