X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard audio system upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 05:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard audio system upgrade

Hello, wanted to ask if it is possible to upgrade for example front door non premium speakers if there is no amp, because I've found speakers that are 40 watt rms and 280 watt peak power.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:48 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Martin, yes, you can upgrade the speakers. Just be cautious in getting too powerful of a speaker as these speakers tend to be very stiff and you will find that you will have to turn up the stereo more to get the same volume out. The other piece to pay extra attention to is the polarity of the speakers. You need to make sure that all the speakers are wired with the correct polarity. If you wire say a speaker backwards, what you can experience is as one speaker pushes out (causing a positive pressure wave), the other speaker is going to suck in (creating a negative pressure wave). What is going to happen is these 2 waves are going to cancel each other out and result in no noise. Because the speakers are not going to be side by side, you are not going to end up with a 100% cancellation. But, you will heard a volume difference.

If you need to know more about stereo install, let me know. I used to do custom stereo install and can get you past a lot of the shortfalls of a stock system.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey thermo...noob questions coming...

I have a 2.5 and I've found a junkyard with three 3.0's sitting there with the 10 speaker systems. I was wondering if the door handle part that holds the tweeters will fit in mine. They also have the boxes that hold the subs on the back deck, and was wondering if that would fit too. I see the place on my deck where it can go, but the sheet metal isnt cut out or anything, but it looks like it could fit. I'm more concerned with the tweeters though. I like how they are right there at the handles.

Also, I have an extra Napa battery lying around. When I get to upgrading my system (still planning it out on paper) would it be ok to mount it in the trunk with a capacitor, as I'm about to crack some windows and I don't want to mess up the electrical system in my kitty, as I want to keep my system as far away from the main stuff as much as possible.

Already found a place to rewind the alternator as soon as I get the biggest one I can find to fit, and can do the big three myself, as well as run the lines for the system. I Have a friend who can build my box, (still deciding what kind) and he has all the meters and dynos to tweak the system for me as he does it for a living for competition vehicles. I asked him about it but he has a competition mind set so his answers are all optima sealed batteries, caps, second alternator etc etc etc lol but I'm not trying to compete, just shake some windows and **** some people off and get a few sound restrictions tickets, and not burn up or blow anything in the cats regular electricals.

Thanks in advance for any response.

✌️😁👍