Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter ocassionally not getting any power

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Starter ocassionally not getting any power

Battery is new-cables are new-- this is a problem I have ocassionally had for a while now-before I ever had any alternator or cable problems- this is something I have had ever since I have owned this vehicle.0

that being said
Occasionally the starter will not get any power. I typically open the hood and look around tap a few things and then the car starts right up, not to happen again until the next episode several months later.

I am assuming I got a bad starter relay (I have no clue where it's at) or a bad starter solenoid. I replaced the starter myself last year because it was making a whizzing noise, which the new starter solved. I don't know how common it's for a solenoid to fail...

Old 06-26-2016, 07:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Spike, based on what you are saying, assuming it is a starter relay, then you are looking at a PCB relay, which means that to replace it, you have to replace the entire fuse box in the engine bay. Not a tough job (undoing a few plugs). The problem is the cost. You can probably plan on spending about $200 for a new fuse box. All depends on what your local yard wants for a fuse box like that.

With this being said, I would say to continue to drive the car and wait for it to happen again. But, this time, when it fails, keep the key in the START position and look down at the center console. Is there a red LED lit on the center console (ie, the security LED)? If yes, then your problem is with the ignition key code, not the electrical system of the starter. You should also see a message in the information center saying "Security Failed" or something to that effect. If the key does not transmit a strong enough signal or the computers see the wrong signal, then it will disable the starter, giving you the indications that you are seeing.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:19 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default when the security light comes on does the starter click?

Originally Posted by Thermo
Spike, based on what you are saying, assuming it is a starter relay, then you are looking at a PCB relay, which means that to replace it, you have to replace the entire fuse box in the engine bay. Not a tough job (undoing a few plugs). The problem is the cost. You can probably plan on spending about $200 for a new fuse box. All depends on what your local yard wants for a fuse box like that.

With this being said, I would say to continue to drive the car and wait for it to happen again. But, this time, when it fails, keep the key in the START position and look down at the center console. Is there a red LED lit on the center console (ie, the security LED)? If yes, then your problem is with the ignition key code, not the electrical system of the starter. You should also see a message in the information center saying "Security Failed" or something to that effect. If the key does not transmit a strong enough signal or the computers see the wrong signal, then it will disable the starter, giving you the indications that you are seeing.
I have been getting a NO start and a bunch of clicking when key is turned haven't noticed the light on console but will check.
THANKS Thermo

Old 11-01-2016, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Change the battery. If the car was running fine and the all of a sudden it won't start and you get the clicking sound I would almost guarantee it is the battery.