X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Wheel Noise

When I turn my steering wheel left or right and back to straight, I hear a "whispy" noise through the motion of the turn. It fades away as the wheel straightens out.

Anybody have an idea of what this could be?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Well, let's start from the top, how's the level of your power steering fluid?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Chris X
Well, let's start from the top, how's the level of your power steering fluid?
That would be good for me to check. I'll start with that and provide feedback.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

If you look in the FAQ section at the top of the X Type forum
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5915
You will see the 9th link down says "squeeky-steering-cured" which takes you to this thread
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=2880
Problem solved (usually!)

Old 08-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

my 04 XJ has this as well, i was planning on adding z-power to the fluid.

also the link to the TSB posted was a deadlink.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah the TSB link seems to be dead now however

The fluid additive is from your dealer only Its part number C2S48887 or the other part number on the same bottle is 7X43 3F823 AA
Its labelled as 'Additve PAS Fluid' 50ml.

MODEL
XJ, S-TYPE,X-TYPE
DATE 24 AUG 2007
NUMBER JTB00055
SERVICE TECHNICAL BULLETIN

NOTE: The information in Technical Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge,tools, and equipment required to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers.” If you are not a Retailer, do not assume that a condition described affects your vehicle.
Contact an authorized Jaguar service facility to determine whether the bulletin applies to a specific vehicle.
© Jaguar 2007 Page 1 8/24/2007

THIS BULLETIN REPLACES ALL VERSIONS OF ST211-004, XJ211-001, XT211-001

SECTION: 211-00

Power Steering System Squeaking Noise Repair Procedure

AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
S-TYPE VIN: M45255 Onwards Model Year: 2003 Onwards
XJ Range VIN: G00442 Onwards Model Year: 2004 Onwards
X-TYPE VIN: C00294 Onwards Model Year: 2002 Onwards
CONDITION SUMMARY:
POWER STEERING SYSTEM SQUEAKING NOISE
Situation: On some S-Type, X-Type and XJ Range vehicles within the VIN ranges above, a squeaking noise may be apparent from the power assisted steering system when the steering wheel is rotated in either direction. The noise is caused by a seal inside the steering rack. The noise can be transmitted through the steering column and steering wheel, making it difficult to diagnose.
This bulletin does not address any other PAS noises, such as pump or drive belt related noises.

Action: In the case of a verified customer complaint matching the description above, refer to the Repair Procedure detailed in this bulletin and complete the service fix.
PARTS:
C2S 48887 ...............Fluid additive Qty 1

WARRANTY:
NOTE: Repair procedures are under constant review, and therefore times are subject to change; those quoted here must be taken as guidance only. Always refer to DDW to obtain the latest repair time.
DDW requires the use of causal part numbers. Labor only claims must show the causal part number with a quantity of zero.

Normal warranty policy and procedures apply.

REPAIR PROCEDURE PAS SQUEAK/FLUID ADDITIVE
NOTE: SSM 34548 contains a video clip showing the repair outlined in this bulletin to aid understanding of the procedure.
1. Open driver's door.
2. Ensure the gear lever is in either neutral or park, the parking brake is 'ON', and the ignition is 'OFF'.
3. Open hood and install fender protectors.
4. Remove the power steering fluid reservoir cap (and filter mesh on XJ and S-Type vehicles) and ensure the fluid level is correct. (Figure 1)
5. Using a suitable clean syringe, remove 50ml of steering fluid.
NOTE: The fluid additive must only be added once and the supplied label must then be affixed to the power steering fluid reservoir.
6. Replenish the power steering fluid reservoir with 50ml of the specified fluid additive (C2S 48887).
7. Affix the supplied label to the power steering fluid reservoir
NOTE: Suitable temperature reading equipment must be positioned into the power steering fluid reservoir, (filter mesh must be removed on XJ and S-Type vehicles) and that the temperature can be read while carrying out the heating process.
8. Insert the temperature reading equipment probe into the power steering fluid reservoir (about halfway into the depth of the fluid).
HEATING THE STEERING FLUID TO 100°C ±5°C (212°F±10°F)
1. Turn ignition 'ON' and start the engine.
2. With the engine idling, turn the steering wheel from lock to lock four times to cycle the fluid additive into the system. (Figure 2)
CAUTION: Under no circumstances hold the steering wheel on full lock while heating the steering fluid (to avoid damage to the steering system).
CAUTION: While carrying out the following procedure, ensure that 105°C (221°F) is not exceeded.
3. While stationary and with the steering wheel in the center position (road wheels in the straight ahead position), turn the steering wheel 90° (quarter turn) right and hold firmly with both hands. (Figure 3)
• Increase the engine speed to 3000rpm.
• Monitor the power steering fluid temperature until 100±5°C (212°F±10°F) is reached.

PERFORMING THE STEERING MANEUVER
NOTE: The steering maneuver should be carried out on a hard flat surface outside of the workshop.
CAUTION: Do not hold the steering wheel on full lock for more than two seconds as this may cause damage to the steering system.
1. Verify the power steering fluid temperature is at 100±5°C (212°F±10°F), engine idle speed set between minimum 900rpm and maximum 1000rpm.
2. Turn the steering wheel to full lock and hold for two seconds.
3. From full lock turn the steering wheel quickly and rapidly back a quarter (90°) turn (refer to SSM 34548 showing this procedure). (Figure 4)
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 eight times.
5. Turn the steering wheel to the opposite full lock, and repeat steps 1 and 2.
6. Remove the temperature reading equipment from the power steering fluid reservoir.
7. Install the power steering fluid reservoir cap,remove fender protectors, and close hood.
8. Road test the vehicle and check for a squeaking noise from the power steering system.
NOTE: If the vehicle continues to exhibit a squeak after the road test, carry out the 'Heating the steering fluid to 100±5°C' (212°F±10°F)
(Steps 1, 2 & 3) and 'Performing the steering maneuver' (Steps 2 3 & 4) to a maximum of two additional times. If further problems occur, contact Dealer Technical Support on 888-524-3577 (888 JAG DLRS

Old 08-26-2009, 12:24 PM

WOW, seems like adding 50ml of fluid to a jaguar is a 5hour job. Does simply adding the fluid on it own not work ? or P/S fluid doesnt reach 100degrees c on its own ?

Old 08-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I had a similar problem, unfortunately the additive did nothing, ended up with a full rack replacement (under warranty, thank gawd).

OP describes it as a "whispy" noise, rather than a squeak.....could be different and hopefully not something serious.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

Some people have just removed 50ml of power steering with a syringe, and then added the additive and it worked.Suppose the fluid gets heated up with the additive during normal use.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:26 AM

cool thank Buck. ill be ordering the additive from jaguarparts its $7 plus w/e shipping is.

im sure dealers sell it for the same price but my 'local' dealer is 55miles away, definately dont want to take that drive out for a little bottle.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:38 PM

A little update for anyone thats interested.

Today I went to my local Strauss Discount Auto to pick up some Z-max additive, turns out all they had was a 'as seen on tv' package that I didnt want.

So I purchased a bottle of (forgot the name, will update) power steering "leak and creak stop" for $10.99 and a fluid transfer tool for $5.99 USD.

I pumped out the PS resevoir, let me say the "oil" was real brown and watery. Poured in the new PS Oil and did most of the procedure mentioned in the TSB above.

Let the car idle for a few, went lock to lock 3 times, then I revved the motor to 3000rpm and went lock to lock 3times again.

Took a 2mile drive, then I repeated the 3000rpm lock to lock 3 more times.

All my steering wheel noise is gone, does not make noise while held in the locked position, no more creek on patched roads or slow turn in.

total cost was $18 usd and I got a fluid transfer tool to keep for always.

Also the steering feels much more firm now, almost like it was weighted. Overall much better solid feeling.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Issues with 2002 x type 3.0

Can any one tell me where the small power steering pump is located on the drivers side of the 2002 jag x type? Where is the best place to buy the part and belt? Does any one have pictures that I can reference? Thanks.... Help!!!! I'm about sick of this car!