X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo Repair = Fail. Need options.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Stereo Repair = Fail. Need options.

My 2003 X type had a problem with the stereo. I tried to fix it myself, but let's just call it an utter fail. The problem was with the CD changed in the boot; For now I can live with just the radio.

I think ideally I'd like to swap out my stock cassette player with a stock in dash CD player. Where can get one of these and how difficult is it to install?

Is this what I'm looking for and is $185 a good price?

Jag Stereo on Ebay

Thanks everyone!

Old 06-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the same head unit in my car. My car has the premium stereo in it, which also included Alpine speakers (clearly labelled as such on the door panels) and a separate amplifier in the trunk. The amplifier is mounted behind the left-side inner trunk liner. Notably, these amplifiers are connected to the head units via a fiber optic data bus (or computer-like network) for all audio signals and control signals from the head unit.

I'm bringing all of this up because I'm fairly sure that the head unit that you're looking at DOES NOT contain a built-in amplifier like your cassette unit probably does. So there are no speaker connectors on the head unit - they're at the amplifier in the trunk.

The bottom line here is that I don't think you're going to be able to use that E-bay head unit without replacing or adding some more components, wiring and fiber optic cable. You're probably better off to switch to an aftermarket head unit.

Good luck.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I just noticed something in your original post: you have the trunk-mounted CD changer. That means that you definitely have the fiber-optic bus pre-installed. Check to see whether or not you have an amplifier back there, too. If so, then that E-bay head unit might work out for you after all.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

^ Agreed. Should work for you as James indicates.

The only downside I note is that if you don't have an ACM or other extenal AUX input, then you would have to use an FM transmitter for an IPOD with a CD head unit, whereas the tape deck can be used with a tape adapter for your IPOD/MP3. Sounds fairly good too.

This might not be of any importance to you at all, just thought i'd mention it though.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I do have the trunk mounted CD changed, which is what doesn't work. I don't see an amplifier at all.

Last night I decided to head out to Best Buy where I bought me a simple little IPOD FM transmitter. Plugs right into the bottom of the IPOD, you know the drill, seems to work like a charm. Why invest more money in a CD player that limits me to what I can listen to when I can take all of my music with me?

Old 06-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Bus Driver
I do have the trunk mounted CD changed, which is what doesn't work. I don't see an amplifier at all.

Last night I decided to head out to Best Buy where I bought me a simple little IPOD FM transmitter. Plugs right into the bottom of the IPOD, you know the drill, seems to work like a charm. Why invest more money in a CD player that limits me to what I can listen to when I can take all of my music with me?
If you were willing to shell for a new head unit, look into getting the ACM. Rothe has info listed on his site, click his link. You can hook the IPod directly in, as well as play MP3 off a flash drive and adds an aux port. The FM transmission is ***** sound compared to wiring it directly in.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much could someone get an ACM for though? They seem pretty pricey everywhere I've looked.