Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Motor Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Motor Noise

Hey Everyone!

This is my first post. I am the proud, new owner of an 05 X-Type 3.0 -I just got her today. But, I have a question for you experienced owners. When my car is off, you can hear a motor type noise coming from the right side, next to the steering wheel. My husband likened it to the sound of an aquarium humming. It does it when the car is running and when it's off. I'm not sure what the deal is with it. The dealership didn't have an owners manual with the car - they'll mail one to me later - so I'm not sure if there's some sort of explanation for this.

If you guys have any idea what this could possibly be, please let me know.

Thanks and I look forward to talking Jags with you all!!

Old 03-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Strange Motor Noise

Hi,
Congrats and welcome. The sound you are referring to is a small fan that circulates air across a humidity sensor. It blows air across it after you turn your car off and it stays running for about 30 sec or so. It will do this again when you start the car.

No worries, it's normal and functioning fine.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:06 PM

Thanks for the reply...

Ok, I went to go check the car again. The sound is coming from the vent-looking thing to the right of the steering wheel. My worry is that it hasn't turned off. The car has been turned off for the last 3 hours and when I went to check on it again, the thing was still humming...So, do you think that's the humidity fan?
It sucks that I don't have the manual yet to figure out what everything is and how it all works..

Old 03-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member

lol,
I think i have the electronic manual. Send me your e-mail and I'll send your way.....But yes, it's normal. the moment you open your door, the fan comes on to circulate the air across the sensor so that when you need your air on, it already knows how much it needs to cool. it part of that 'auto" feature in the airconditioning system....when you close your door, the fan does go out....your baby will be fine...

No worries....

Old 03-03-2007, 11:32 PM

Thanks for the offer of sending me the manual - I sent you an e-mail with my info.

You guys know how it is - you buy a used new car and you're not used to the noises and "quirks" of it. My last car was a fairly simple to understand 05 Mustang Roush - all muscle and V8. I loved her, but I decided to get a 4 door vehicle and I needed something original looking and exciting, so I chose the X-type.

*Sarah*

Old 03-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member

Wow...you went from a v-8 400 ponies to a v-6 with 1/2 the power but a whole bunch sexier....and exciting like you say...(one reason why I bought the X and S type R) Love the X for the sexiness, soft low lines and sleekness and the S for power...

Don't you miss the thrust of a v-8 propelling you across the open highway.....keeping you pinned in your seat and the deep rumbling of the finely tuned dual exhaust that only v-8's make....??

Gotta admit it must take a bit of getting used too huh??

Old 03-03-2007, 11:51 PM

Oh, ya, I totally miss her. I had the Mustang for about one year before I sold it. I loved it so much that I wouldn't really drive it. I know that sounds weird, but the thought of someone wrecking into it or scratching it bothered me. I only put about 2500 miles on it in the year that I had it and when I sold it, it was still in mint condition. That's the other reason thatgot rid of it - I was paying too much for something that I never used.

But, the V8 was amazing. I was never able to drive the speed limit. I only got pulled over once in it and that was for 12 over. I was insulted - he should've tried to get me when I was going 125. >:-)

The X-type's great too. Like I said it's great to look at, original, and I like the227 horsepower. This'll be better on the gas too. Hopefully the car lasts a long time and my only worry is that fan. (It still hasn't turned off - who knows?!)

Old 03-04-2007, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member

The fan is ok, you worry to much lol. You'll find your new toy has many features your mustang only wished it had...lol

Your X will only get you to 121 before the limiter kicks in...My S type R gets me to 155 pretty quick. Been lucky..I have front and rear radar maounted on her...no tickets yet, knock on wood.

Saving fuel? Hmmm not too sure about that...she can drink, drinks most 6's under the table, and she only prefers the expensive stuff.....all wheel drive takes some serious propelling and she does get thirsty in the city...highway cruising isn't too bad if you can keep your foot off the go fast pedal...but that's hard to do since that's where she shows off her true talent......especially if the road twist and turns....no moaning of any kind, just a gentle hum of the engine and all wheel drive, begging you to for more go fast juice...

Old 03-04-2007, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

OMG, you obviously haven't been to the pump yet with your car! That V-6 is much thirstier than a lot of V-8's!

Old 03-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  Jagbrightlights4.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  4.3 KB

Hey there Smidgy and welcome to the forum.
You got yourself some sexy looking car there Sarah. Why not post some pics in the newly opened photo gallery and tell us a bit more about it?

JC

Old 03-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

She's got bigger and better things to do than waste her time here with us old guys.....

Old 03-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  Jagbrightlights4.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  4.3 KB
Hmmm, so it would seem........
C'mon Sarah, where you at? There's a distinct shortage of women Jag owners on this site![&:]

JC

Old 03-04-2007, 04:38 PM

Hey Guys,

I'm still here - I was trying to sleep in late today - I start night shift tomorrow. Nah, you guys all seem pretty cool, so I think I'll stay around. I'll try to post some pics of the Jag in the next few days. I still need to give her a name though. The Mustang was named Roushida, cause of all her attitude.

So, how many other women are on this site? My husband thinks I'm weird due to my love of fine cars. But, oh well..

Old 03-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like your husbands a little on the weird side to me! J/K What's up he doesn't have a love for cars?

Old 03-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

All right!!!! WE DIDN'T SCARE HER AWAY! AND SHE PLANS TO STICK AROUND TOO! GOOD GOING GUYS!

Old 03-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

lol, you hear that alot from you dates, don't you....lol <j/k>

Old 03-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Ahh, haven't dated in a long time. Downside of being married, but I was actually pretty luck with the girls!

Old 03-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member

oh yeah, forgot you have one of them there ball and chains and....something else....now what the heck are those things called....hell they eat you out of house and home...sheet their pants all the time...never do as they are told.....damn it..what the heck are those things called...

Old 03-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You mean you don't have one of those? I hear they are popular across the world

Old 03-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Lol, have two..I just remember the, "dad, crashed the car....again" "dad, can i have 50 bucks plz" "dad, just this one time and i won't ask for any morethings" etc...etc...

Quick Reply: Strange Motor Noise