Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange radio issue & questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Strange radio issue & questions

Hello Jag Forum!

I have an 02 X-type 3.0L that has some strange issues going on with the radio and I wanted some opinions.

I have the non-navi tape player w/ the 6-disc in the trunk. The screen illuminates, it allows me to adjust volume with the knob, but not a one of the buttons work. I'm not certain if the head unit itself is bad or what the deal is. Randomly the stereo will mute and then the buttons function (on the radio and the steering wheel). Any idea what's going on? Is my head unit likely the culprit or do I have a stray wire somewhere?

I have been looking on ebay and saw they have one that looks identical, but has an in-dash CD. I was wondering if that had the same connectors and would otherwise function (radio, 6-disc changer, and steering wheel controls).

I guess my next question would be, how do I remove that massive sucker. I'm hoping not to have to pull the dash or most of the center console (fingers crossed). Any write-ups?

Old 05-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its really nice and simple and the CD unit will replace the tape (it has to be the cd player with all the buttons and screen attached, the cd player on its own is for the full screen NAV unit)

See here Car Stereo Fitting | Car Stereo Removal | Remove Car Stereo Advice | Fit Car Stereo Help

Derek

Old 05-19-2011, 12:21 AM

So I swapped out the head unit it with a junk yard factory duplicate and the same issues of the buttons not functioning occurs. Anyone report wiring issues?

Electrical issues in a Jag? (Where's my sarcasm font?)

Old 05-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcVIII
So I swapped out the head unit it with a junk yard factory duplicate and the same issues of the buttons not functioning occurs. Anyone report wiring issues?

Electrical issues in a Jag? (Where's my sarcasm font?)

Gotta be something in the plug. Premium or standard system?

Old 05-20-2011, 06:07 AM

Its the base, 2 wire bundled plugs and the antenna.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:57 PM

It's actually quite simple to remove the radio in this vehicle. First you will need to pop out the plastic trim bezel around the shift knob. Then remove the screws at the bottom of the ashtray and pop out the ashtray. You will now see two more screws at the bottom of the radio (behind where the ashtray was), remove those screws as well. Then remove the plastic trim above radio where hazard switch is and unplug connectors. You will now see two more screws at the top of the radio/climate control unit. Now remove those two screws and the radio/climate control unit comes out as one piece. The only issue I ever noticed was that cycling the key with the climate control unit unplugged can throw a check engine light but will reset itself when everything is reconnected.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:24 PM

Removal is not an issue, rather diagnosing the problem. Any write up on how to test the connector?

Old 05-24-2011, 08:00 PM

I wish I could help you further with your problem but this one I haven't seen. The only thing I can offer is the wiring info for the radio plug.

Radio 12V - brown/white
Radio Ground - black
Radio Ignition - yellow/green
Radio Illumination - orange (dimmer)

Left Front Speaker (+/-) - white - yellow

Right Front Speaker (+/-) - white/red - yellow/red

Left Rear Speaker (+/-) - white/blue - yellow/blue

Right Rear Speaker (+/-) - white/green - yellow/red

Old 08-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you ever find the issue? Mine is going to mute too. I replaced the radio, but the problem persists....

Old 08-02-2013, 07:05 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

I swapped my tape player for a CD player from a totaled car. I also took out the six CD changer and dumped that on eBay.
I had to get my Jag guy to activate the CDC button on the replacement head as I have the ACM and it's activated there.
Maybe you need the radio re activated? It's an easy process. He'll plug in a laptop and the computer will do it's thing.