Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange vibration on 70mph - not a wheel balance problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange vibration on 70mph - not a wheel balance problem

Please help!
First, exuse my English because I am from Serbia.
I am proud owner of Jag X Type 2003, 2.0 Diesel. I love my car which I bought a few weeks ago. It is my first Jag and I believe I will not change the car manufacturer in future
I have noticed strange vibration driving in range 90kph to 11kmph. OK, I did wheel balance on all four tyres, switched front and back, but problem remains the same. Tyres are new. Strange thing is that vibration of the complete car is getting worse as I am pushing gas pedal more and it is less when I am not pushing the pedal. Steering wheel is slightly vibrating, nothing special, I beleive it is vibration transferred from the car body shake. Servicemen said that there is no mechanical issues...
I read that soneone had similar problem and that he solved it with repairing lambda setup, but seems it is not an issue with my car
I have also noticed that car is not going smoothly, maybe I need to recheck my filters or something...
Please help, if I solve this problem, I will be happy as a clam
Thanks in advance.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a slight vibration between 65-70mph, nothing I've done has fixed it...I just avoid driving at those speeds,

Old 07-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Sounds like a high speed miss fire to me. If you let off the gas at 70 mph does the vibration stop? That's a good test to see if it's the engine.

Last edited by tarhealcracker; 07-21-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Ivan, I have a steering wheel shake occasionally in my car and it is enough to cause the seats to wiggle some. Get the front end of your car aligned. Even if the toe on the car is slightly out (as little as 0.2 degrees is all it takes), it will cause the front end to fight itself and as you drive faster, it will cause the tires to fight more and more, leading to the shaking that you are seeing.

The other thing that I would tell you to try is to get a grease gun with a needle attachment. Get under the car and repack the carrier bearing on the rear drive shaft (located under the car about where the driver's seat is located). Fill it full of grease and then see how the car drives. If the wiggle goes away, you need a new bearing for the rear drive shaft. But then, thinking about it, is your car AWD or is it only FWD. I do not recall if the diesel variants come in AWD or not. If it is only FWD, then disregard the bit about the carrier bearing. You don't have it.

The following users liked this post:
ivanrodic (07-22-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 09:04 PM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Did the vibrations change when you swapped the wheels front to rear? Usually, you can feel front end issues in the steering wheels and rear end issues in the seat. One thing to check is to make sure you don't have a slightly bent wheel. It can been near impossible to spot without it mounted and spinning on a machine.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Sounds like a high speed miss fire to me. If you let off the gas at 70 mph does the vibration stop? That's a good test to see if it's the engine.
Yes, if I let off the gas at 70 mph vibration almost stop... I also believe it is the engine missfire...

Old 07-22-2012, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gray XK
Did the vibrations change when you swapped the wheels front to rear? Usually, you can feel front end issues in the steering wheels and rear end issues in the seat. One thing to check is to make sure you don't have a slightly bent wheel. It can been near impossible to spot without it mounted and spinning on a machine.
The vibration remain the same when I switch front and back wheels...I will check again the balance of all 4, just in case, but I believe they are balanced well.. Thanks for post!

Old 07-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Either a ball joint issue up front but I would lean more towards an intermitient misfire from one (or more) of the coils. Have each coil tested at idle with a COP (coil on plug) tester to identify the offending coil.

ivanrodic (07-23-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 09:41 PM

I have the same problem. I'v had the car only 3 week and it' too low to get under and check, but I think it's the drive shaft u joit. the vibration is coming from the center of the car or all over not the stering wheel. starts at 68 goes away at 75,80
it is related to the load on the drive train. a loose joint will go in and out of balance
What do you guys think?

Old 07-27-2012, 09:56 PM

PS, ball joints? I don't think so, Only rotateing parts cause vibration. Missfire also no,you have Knok senser in the engin that would detect this long before you would feel it.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by gpcronin
PS, ball joints? I don't think so, Only rotateing parts cause vibration. Missfire also no,you have Knok senser in the engin that would detect this long before you would feel it.
My friend - as I appreciate your spirited opinions let me make the following very clear - it has been proven that worn/bad lower ball joints cause vibrations - double wishbone suspension. Furthemore, regarding misfiring coils - coils can fire intermitently at highway speeds (load) causing "vibrations" to be felt. Tell tale sign is when you let off the gas pedal and the vibrations cease. There are limits built into knock sensors - at load an intermitient misfiring coil is not going to be picked up by the knock sensor and adjust timing. the OBDII system will not typically flag an intermitient misfiring coil but you will certanly feel it.

To add - I had a vibration/shaking at 45 - 55 MPH - causes - worn lower ball joints, which improved the vibrations and handling but the ultimate culprit was coil #4 - intermitient misfire during engine load - and BTW - I never had a check engine light for the misfire... the forum is designed to share experiences, not discount the opinions or feedback of others.

Worn stationary parts can cause vibrations through connected rotating parts (engine - one big rotating part:internal and external , connected to motor mounts, connected to the frame/suspension/steering system)

PS - Proper spelling goes a long way...

Last edited by abonano; 07-28-2012 at 09:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by abonano:
Lcgi (10-21-2013), pompeyphil (07-21-2023)
Old 07-30-2012, 08:57 PM

Sorry, I did not mean to offend. I think I was only thinking about my car. No ploblem in the fount end, I checked it, and I think I would have felt it in the steering. Yes in cars that have hight positive caster loose joints will make the car shake. There is no relationship between engine RPM and noise or vibration just road speed so there is no missfire. Maybe other people may have these ploblems so I should not have ruled them out. If you can not forgive my spelling I will never be accepted. I can't spell but I do know alot about cars. Mybe not this one

Old 07-31-2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by gpcronin
Sorry, I did not mean to offend. I think I was only thinking about my car. No ploblem in the fount end, I checked it, and I think I would have felt it in the steering. Yes in cars that have hight positive caster loose joints will make the car shake. There is no relationship between engine RPM and noise or vibration just road speed so there is no missfire. Maybe other people may have these ploblems so I should not have ruled them out. If you can not forgive my spelling I will never be accepted. I can't spell but I do know alot about cars. Mybe not this one
No worries - the issues I originally mentioned are very problematic in the early 2000 Jaguar vehicle lines. Vibrations are the most annoying and notorious issues to track down. I had similar issues that you are experiencing and it turned out to be an intermitient misfiring coil. Take care...

Old 02-23-2013, 11:31 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Was this issue ever resolved?

Old 02-24-2013, 05:50 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

My '02 sometimes gets the steering wobble at around 70mph. But after a short time (3-5 minutes) it disappears. It feels like a wheel out of balance. I've had all four balanced recently and all were ok. All the stuff around the wheels, and the hubs themselves are tight. Strange.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey fellas, does anyone have advice or a run down on replacing the upper motor mount and the roll restrictor? At high speed these 2 being worn out, could give way to some vibration. It may not be the first thing to look at when you have vibrations on the hwy, but, I bought these 2 mounts and I want to replace them tomorrow, Monday.

So, I have 2 main questions.

1) Do I need to support the engine, or trans weight for R&R of either of these mounts?

2) If so, where on the engine or trans would I safely apply the lift force?

Any advice is appreciated! Here is a pic of my top motor mount, the rubber looks broken.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Strange vibration on 70mph - not a wheel balance problem-img_20130915_172356_zps6d046ae1.jpg  
Old 10-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an intermittent misfire on Cylinder #6 with vibrations at 50-60mph. Swapped Coils between 6 & 7. Rechecked error code and it moved from 6 to 7. Replaced Coil and vibration now gone. The CAT is purring like she should!

mickvic (03-23-2024)