X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sylvania Silverstar bulb problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sylvania Silverstar bulb problem?

Hello,

I've never been happy with the output from my '03's standard OEM headlight bulbs (non-HID) so I replaced them with Silverstar halogens. They both worked fine when the lights were initially turned on (key off). As I switched them on for the first time with the engine running both simultaneously burned out - it took less than a second. I wore gloves and made sure skin oils didn't get on the glass so I assumed it had to be excess current. Sylvania's tech support line said I purchased the correct P/N for the X-Type and that they should handle normal alternator output. Fortunately, AutoZone replaced them at no charge (they aren't cheap at $35) but I'm hesitant to install them again until I can determine what caused it. The OEM bulbs (7 years old) were reinstalled and they work fine.

Has anyone else had this issue? How can I verify output at the bulb harness with a digital multimeter?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 12-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've heard the Jaguar certified techs on this forum recommend using only OEM bulbs, because of the higher than normal voltage spike that occurs when switching the X-Type lights on. It burns out aftermarket bulbs pretty quickly.

Anecdotally, my experience with SilverStars on other cars is that they're complete crap. Mine never lasted more than 3 months before burning out on my Nissan 240SX. I replaced them with the Halogen Extravisions, which give 20% more light output than normal halogens, but cost nearly half of what the SilverStars did. They also lasted as long as my OEM bulbs did.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tired of changing bulbs...

I threw in some after-market HIDs. I was constantly changing bulbs and when the last one burnt out and being the stubborn **** I am.. I opted to not buy one and instead put my $$ into and waited for a bought set of HIDS to be shipped. For $60ish (and a wack of labour (did a DIY lens restoration while I was at it and both tasks well worth it in MHO)) I have far better visibility and knock on wood... I have not had to change a bulb since. Next will be some in the fogs (buffing the fog glass lenses will take more care) but I have a jeep I need to give some loving too first.

I will post some pics of my install soon but if I were you I would start looking into this as an option.

Cheers!

Old 12-15-2010, 08:11 PM
AML
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Silverstars are crap in terms of longevity and output.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:32 AM

Hello Jagermeister,

I've looked at the HID kits (bulbs, ballasts, wiring) on eBay and prices are anywhere from $50 - $80. I've hesitated getting it since I'm not sure what installation entails.

-Do you have to remove the lens or cut the housing?
-Is there enough room for the ballasts?
-Other than drilling mounting holes for the ballasts did you have to cut into anything?
-How difficult is wiring?

Any info you can share is appreciated.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 12-16-2010, 01:26 PM
AML
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by steve12955
Hello Jagermeister,

I've looked at the HID kits (bulbs, ballasts, wiring) on eBay and prices are anywhere from $50 - $80. I've hesitated getting it since I'm not sure what installation entails.

-Do you have to remove the lens or cut the housing?
-Is there enough room for the ballasts?
-Other than drilling mounting holes for the ballasts did you have to cut into anything?
-How difficult is wiring?

Any info you can share is appreciated.

Good luck,

Steve
Hey Steve, I actually just ordered an HID kit from xenonsupply.com earlier this week. I got the top-of-the-line Premium Philips H1 kit and upgraded to the slim ballast and got the additional wiring harness. OTD was $170 including shipping. They have a 20% off promotion right now and they have cheaper versions of the same kit as well if you're interested.

It should be arriving either this Saturday or Monday. Either way I'm going to install it as soon I get it so I'll do a write up if you're still interested. The install should be easy; hardest part with the X-Type is the tight space near the headlights. I'm gonna try removing the bumper and see if there are any better ballast mounting points there.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Steve, use the search tool on this forum. You'll find plenty of threads that share people's experience with HIDs, including some very detailed ones that walk through the installation process with pictures. There's cutting/drilling and some maneuvering involved, but many have successfully installed aftermarket HIDs on their X-Types.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Installing HID's is not hard at all IF you are comfortable with cutting and splicing wires. On the back plastic piece of the light there aren't holes big enough to fit the plugs so, I just cut the wires, strip the end a little bit, and then use crimps to re-attach them. I do recommend though, if you are buying an aftermaket HID kit to buy an expensive and well known kit. I've gone through a few crappy ebay ballasts already. I just bought a kit from Umnitza and it was $100. The ballast are can-bus which are supposed to be good in terms of computer detecting a bulb. Other than that, you should find a spot to properly ground the ballast if you don't want to splice into the factory brown wire. Everything from there should be plug and play. I definitely recommend getting a kit with a lower temp. 5000k - 6000k. I've run 8000k, 6000k, and now presently 5000k. Also make sure to be gentle with the headlamp housing as they are weak as a piece of pencil lead. 5000k will give you the most output from the three temps I have had. Also, taking off the front bumper will make life a million times easier for you. This might intimidate you, BUT its really not hard at all! There is a step by step link in the FAQ's.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Old 12-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I replaced all my front lights with yellow 55watt halogen lights i found on ebay. when i turned them on the fogs burned yellow for about 5min and turned a bright white. the head light on 1 side turned orange. i took the 2 yellows i had that matched and put on low beam replaced hi beam with stock lights. I used sylvania ultra on foglights and they do pretty good. i ordered the yellow film from stickercity to cover my foglights so they are yellow as well

Old 12-17-2010, 09:59 AM

Hello,

Thanks for the info. I'm OK with body and mechanical work and recently did extensive rust repair on the A-pillars. But, I don't like hacking into OEM parts because I'd like to keep it original or return it to original if I decide to sell.

I've had the bumper (and fenders and doors) off for the rust work but wondered if the ballasts can be mounted with the bumper in place. I'd fabricate brackets that would be mounted to the back-underside lip of the radiator support so if they ever failed they'd be easier to get at. Anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Steve