X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about purchasing a second X after first one had some problems...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thinking about purchasing a second X after first one had some problems...

Hello all,
I bought my wife a 03 xtype sport 2.5 with about 40k miles back in 2005 and had it for about 6 months before it started to have a ton of serious oil leaks bought from the trans and the engine. It would leak on the exhouse really bad. I was going to have it fixed but dealer wanted over 4k at the time to get it all done. I said forget it traded the x in on a new 2007 mb c280 4matic. Since then my wife already leased a second C300 4 matic this time but she was just offered a position at a law school and her drive doubled over night to over 40 miles.
I am thinking about a 07-08 xtype as all the other awd cars out there are just blaahhhhhhhhhhh. I would take over the lease on the 09 MB sell my 08 durango and get her a used Xtype (would love a estate but man they are hard to find) what do you guys think on the year and what should I be looking out for??
Thanks.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok lets try that again... type tooo damn fast

Hello all,
I bought my wife a 03 xtype sport 2.5 with about 40k miles back in 2005 and had it for about 6 months before it started to have a ton of serious oil leaks both from the trans and the engine. It would leak on the exhaust really bad. I was going to have it fixed but dealer wanted over 4k at the time to get it all done. I said forget it traded the x in on a new 2007 mb c280 4matic. Since then my wife already leased a second C300 4 matic this time but she was just offered a position at a law school and her drive doubled over night to over 40 miles.
I am thinking about a 07-08 xtype as all the other awd cars out there are just blaahhhhhhhhhhh. I would take over the lease on the 09 MB sell my 08 durango and get her a used Xtype (would love a estate but man they are hard to find) what do you guys think on the year and what should I be looking out for??
Thanks

Old 06-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there, nice to see you're thinkin of coming back to the marque SEB
I'm sure a lot of the X typers will throw in here and give you great feedback. For me, I'd say the 03, especially if it was an early one would still have suffered from some of the early issues that may not have been resolved.
If you're looking at an 07-08, most of the annoying issues here n there have been resolved / re engineered etc. Get yourself a nice clean example, with good history etc and I'm sure you won't look back

Old 06-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SEBZX79
Hello all,
I bought my wife a 03 xtype sport 2.5 with about 40k miles back in 2005 and had it for about 6 months before it started to have a ton of serious oil leaks bought from the trans and the engine. It would leak on the exhouse really bad. I was going to have it fixed but dealer wanted over 4k at the time to get it all done. I said forget it traded the x in on a new 2007 mb c280 4matic. Since then my wife already leased a second C300 4 matic this time but she was just offered a position at a law school and her drive doubled over night to over 40 miles.

Thanks.
well here is my story. Back in 2007 I bought a brand new C280 4Matic. A couple of months later our 2nd car started giving us trouble so we bought our runner up car ( to the c280), a 2007 x type. Which was the preferred car? The x type hands down! From the interior to the ride to the styling. Everything about the x type was that little bit better. Actually, the interior was a LOT better ( at least for me and my wife). We had no problems with either car.

I've never liked a car as much as the x type since my 1999 Acura Integra GSR sedan that I traded in for the C280! The car has soul.

Why, just 3 weeks ago we traded the C280 for a new XF. It had everthing to do with how much we like the x type. It's been rock solid through snow, rain and sand. We have a vacation house in the outer banks and every summer we go there with the x type.

Love the XF, but the x type is still my favorite. Almost 3 years later the x type is almost as good as new. It certainly looks it

the C 280 conversely got way more dings and paint chips and chrome started peeling etc. Although both had similar miles at the time I sold the MB.

My guess is if you buy an x type 2006 onwards you won't be disappointed.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SEBZX79
Ok lets try that again... type tooo damn fast

Hello all,
I bought my wife a 03 xtype sport 2.5 with about 40k miles back in 2005 and had it for about 6 months before it started to have a ton of serious oil leaks both from the trans and the engine. It would leak on the exhaust really bad. I was going to have it fixed but dealer wanted over 4k at the time to get it all done. I said forget it traded the x in on a new 2007 mb c280 4matic. Since then my wife already leased a second C300 4 matic this time but she was just offered a position at a law school and her drive doubled over night to over 40 miles.
Thanks

You can definitely find a nice clean 07 or 08. I suggest purchasing it from a local Jaguar dealer so you would have their select warranty good till 2013 or 2014 depending on the year you buy. I have seen a few @ Madison Jaguar in Bergen NJ and Jaguar of Great Neck in Long Island NY. I have seen prices from $19,900 and up depending on the miles and options.

GL with the find, you wont be disappointed.