Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking noise from belt area.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise from belt area.

2007 X-Type 2.0D sport est. 110k miles.
A loud ticking noise has developed coming from the belt area in the engine compartment, definitely not an engine noise,the noise disappears when belt is removed. I fitted a complete belt tensioner set including idlers but noise persisted. Mechanic fitted shims,the noise reduced but soon returned, he now says that the belt could be a few mm longer than it should be, and is looking to source a bespoke shorter belt. Any comment would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-30-2016, 11:40 AM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

AC compressor on its way out?

The following users liked this post:
Assisi15 (01-31-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 02:25 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Its a common problem on these engines. I have it too. The problem is that the belt is just too long and starts slapping a bit on idle. There isnt any sure way to fix it and there isnt any shorter belt available. Ford owner have battled this problem for ages. You can reduce the ticking noise by replacing the crankshaft pully, fitting a clutch pully on your alternator (if you dont have it) or buy an upgraded tensioner kit. Some ford owners even have removed the AC compressor and installed a lot shorter belt.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:27 PM

Thanks simo, upgraded tensioner kit? I have already replaced the complete tensioner kit, when you mention upgraded, is there a better kit available than the standard one or am i just being thick? My nephew is the Mechanic on this job and he reckons that he can source a made to measure belt from his supplier suppose i'll give it a bash and see. Does it change your opinion if i was to say that the noise is also present whilst driving, i would have thought that the tensioner should come into play here. Thanks again and i'll let you know how i get on.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:23 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you can find a bit shorter belt and it works, let me know. Might just be an easy fix for my car too.

There are upgraded kits available on ebay and on some car parts site:

Jaguar X-Type 2.0 / 2.2 Modified Auxiliary Drive Belt Tensioner Kit - X-Type Parts

They have a bit modified pully and a bit stronger tensioner. The pully itself has double grooves so it is possible to install two belts on one pully (dont really know why its necessary) and its a lot tougher so it wont flex as easily.

Belt rattle itself has a kinda low ticking/rumbling sound that should go away if you rev your engine past 1100rpm. Also it sounds louder if your AC is on. Heres a video of some mondeo that has the same problem (you can see the belt slapping too):

Im trying to use the modified pully and fit 2 belts on my car. One for the alternator and one for the AC compressor. But im not sure if its possible to do. Just waiting the weather to get warm so i can get to my garage.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:45 PM

Hi Simmo, I have eventually gotten to the bottom of this problem. When i fitted the new tensioner kit which included idlers and belt the noise reduced but only slightly, it soon returned, my nephew sourced a belt for a Mondeo 2.0 TDCi which again lasted for around 100 miles. I filmed the resultant belt slap and went to both Jaguar and Ford service centres, showing them the very obvious 'slap', no surprise that both had their own ideas for resolution but a technician at the Ford centre pointed me here, GENUINE JAGUAR X-Type Modified Crank Damper Tensioner Pulley Kit - C2S51547 | eBay i fitted the full kit, which comes as a complete set, the tensioner is slightly bigger and hey presto the issue has been resolved. Hope this is useful and thanks again for your valuable input.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recon if you just change the harmonic pulley it will cure it, the new pulleys are modified as where prone to failure both on the jag and mondeo