X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for stopping power

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Time for stopping power

Well, Jaguar told me I needed rear brakes at 20k and I told them they were crazy.

I am now at 50k and am told the rears have about 10% left in the rear and 25% in the front, and suggested replacing rotors as well.

I read the brakes FAQ and everyone recommends ECR Red...but what else?

Are any of these any good?

Only front rotors and ceramic pads - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...Q5fAccessories

Rotors and semi-metalic pads all the way around - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...Q5fAccessories

Rotors and ceramic pads all the way around, but says it only fits up to 04...will it work? - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JAGUA...Q5fAccessories

Please give me any suggestions.

Thanks for any help!

Old 04-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am looking at purchasing Brembo brakes for my Jaguar X-Type, for when I go to Road Atlanta this fall.
http://www.brembo.com/ENG/HighPerfor...CarsSportLine/

Still looking, but I know brembo makes good brakes.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:26 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how did you come up with 10% and 25% did you measure? or is someone just guessing?

I have had bad experience with aftermarket rotors, and the Jag rotor come painted around the hub, in my opinion, they are the best deal. you can try other pads, but you should try to understand what you are trying to improve. Cold stopping? hot stopping? initial "bite"? Dust?

The Jag pads are a decent balance, I prefer a better initial bite, but even there, it is not very clear which pads provide this.

Dont believe everything you read about brakes.... every manufacturer makes the same claims.... better brakes, -- it is not possible for everyone to be better...

Old 04-26-2009, 04:34 PM

I don't know if the dealer came up with those percentages by measurement, or guesstimation.

Alot of people here mention RedStuff pads. Just wondered how they compare to the rotors and pads on ebay.

I prefer to stay away from using the same brakes and rotors that came factory. I have heard numerous times and personal experience how poorly they function and how quickly they wear out. They also create a lot of break dust.

Thanks for the input.

As for the first follow-up post...I don't feel like dropping all that money on Brembo, and I don't race my jag either. Waste of money in my opinion.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  19.3 KB

I had EBC Redstuff on mine and they were a great improvement, especially when the slotted / dimpled rotors were added ( they look great too )
Many members on here have used them. Some have also used Akebuno and swear by those.
Like anything else down to personal taste I guess.....Stock pads n rotors offer poor stopping power to say the least!!

Good luck with whatever route you decide to chose and please post it up when you're done

All the best

Old 04-27-2009, 04:29 PM
ud

OEM x-type brakes work fine when they are working properly. I dont think that saying they offer poor stopping power is right (actually not terribly intelligent either)

I think that there are defeciencies of the x's braking system that leads them to not work properly more often than other cars, and as such there are many that complain about them.

Most people that upgrade brakes, do so after the OEM system has some sort of problem, so their comparison is never fair. If you are not sure how they should work, take the time to drive a low miles late model car at a dealer.

my $0.02

Old 04-28-2009, 03:36 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy
OEM x-type brakes work fine when they are working properly. I dont think that saying they offer poor stopping power is right (actually not terribly intelligent either)

I think that there are defeciencies of the x's braking system that leads them to not work properly more often than other cars, and as such there are many that complain about them.

Most people that upgrade brakes, do so after the OEM system has some sort of problem, so their comparison is never fair. If you are not sure how they should work, take the time to drive a low miles late model car at a dealer.

my $0.02
What are those so called defeciencies that leads them to not work properly more often then other cars Jimmy? Please explain. Maybe give us a nickle's worth of your education rather than a $0.02 opinion???

Old 04-28-2009, 01:37 PM
ud

well,
the self adjusting handbrake mechanism in the rear caliper needs to be in perfect working order to keep the pedal travel to a minimum. If the lever binds or sticks, then the adjuster may not work right.
the handbrake cables get rusty and sticky and that also can keep the adjusters from working right.
the master cylinder seems to lose stopping power if the rear calipers are not adjusted right. If the pedal travel is long, to push the caliper pistons further, then the force applied to the discs seems to go down. Other cars dont display as much of this behaviour. - Could be a brake bias problem, I have not figured it out much yet.

The Vacuum assist does not have a lot of reserve power, and the hose and check valve are smaller openings than other cars. As a result if you have to do a sudden stop from a situation with low manifold vacuum, you may have a slight delay for full vacuum assist to build up. This is much worse when the pedal travel is long (to deal with sticking or out of adjustment calipers).

The ABS is quite sensitive and if you have uneven pressures going to all the wheels, there is a tendancy for the ABS to engauge early on one wheel, and that distracts the driver from keeping full pressure on the brake pedal.

I have not been able to understand why the brakes seem to lose their friction properties when they are half worn. but new OEM pad are much "grippier" than 1/2 used ones.

In Summary, you need good, cables, clean and lubricated caliper pins, a clean and lubricated handbrake system on the caliper. That together with OEM brakes and the car should stop well.
If you can engage the ABS system on your car, then changing pads and rotors will not stop you faster, only getting better tires will.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy
well,
If you can engage the ABS system on your car, then changing pads and rotors will not stop you faster, only getting better tires will.
This would be true if the brake pedal were a SWITCH..... but it's not. There are more 'positions' than on/off. One thing that improves braking systems on ANY type of vehicle is enhancing 'feel', 'linear engagement', and other subtelties that enable a driver to apply braking in a smooth, controlled manner that does NOT engage the ABS, and therefore stops you faster.

I don't disagree with your statement that Jaguar factory brakes are 'fine' when working properly. They certainly qualify as 'fine'. But I think many of us would rather have something more than 'fine', and Jaguar's system on the 'X' (including NEW 'X's I've driven over the years) is not up to that standard.

stealthes:
I am currently running the EBC slotted / dimpled rotors in conjunction with the EBC RedStuff pads, and I am quite happy with them. I also have a brand new set of the same rotors (thanks to a very frustrating experience with an online retailer) still in the box, that I would sell to you at a reduced price, if you choose to go that way.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

My EBC slotted/dimpled rotors have been holding up quite well. Ceramic pads are wearing slower than OEM and the comparison regarding dust is night and day. Much less dust than OEM.

My OEM system worked just fine prior to changing over, so I feel I can make a fair comparison in regard to dust and the subjective quality of "feel" - prefer the aftermarket equipment for both measures.

I can objectively say that the aftermarket equipment is holding up longer and hence will provide a longer useful life when compared to stock, thereby reducing cost.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  19.3 KB

91 - check out these links in the X type FAQ quick link for most posts made on brakes / pads / rotors etc etc etc and then make your decision from there

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_83262/tm.htm

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_25534/tm.htm

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_21606/tm.htm

Good luck with whatever you decide to do....

Old 05-01-2009, 11:16 PM

Jag-ooo-r,

Thanks for the offer, how much are you looking to get out of them?

JimC64,

Thanks for the links, I have already read through them. The only recommendation is the Redstuff pads and rotors. All the ebay links that people commented on are no longer active, so I could only find redstuff reviews.

I like the EBC pads and rotors, but the rotors look to be quite expensive.

Thanks all for the help!

Old 05-04-2009, 11:46 AM
ud

Originally Posted by jag-ooo-r
This would be true if the brake pedal were a SWITCH..... but it's not. There are more 'positions' than on/off. One thing that improves braking systems on ANY type of vehicle is enhancing 'feel', 'linear engagement', and other subtelties that enable a driver to apply braking in a smooth, controlled manner that does NOT engage the ABS, and therefore stops you faster.

i am referring to the programming that comes along with engaging abs. The computer counts the pulses from the wheel sensors, and compares it to the average of all wheel seed sensors. it needs to make a decision for when to engage the abs on a wheel which is turning more slowly than the rest of the car.

Some cars are very quick to intervene and others take a few pulses longer to decide that there is a need for abs.
The higher performance cars allow the wheel to turn more slowly compared to the vehicle speed, before engaging abs. THe cheaper family cars tend to react to even a singel wheel pulse being out of line..

Old 05-05-2009, 10:05 PM

Jimmy:
I think I understand what you're saying, and I don;t disagree. It wasn't what I thought you were saying in the previous post... where I thought you were saying that all brakes which can engage the ABS are equal. And this is simply untrue.

91: I'm hoping for around $100, plus frt. I think they typically sell for about 50% more than that. As I say: these are brand new, in an unopened box.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:31 AM

jag-ooo-r

What model are your rotors, and are they front or rear?

I need to purchase a full set, but yours are actually cheaper.

Please let me know.

Best,
J

Old 05-10-2009, 09:26 PM

the rotors i have for sale are the slotted and dimpled (gold color in all the ads, but the gold doesn't last long on the street, as it's justr a coating) EBC rotors. My car is a '02 'X" 2.5, but if I remember correctly, all 'X's use the same rotor.
And I only have the fronts for sale.

;et me know if you're interested. make me an offer, as I have very little use for two sets....

Old 08-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Default Any thoughts on these?

Does anyone have any input on these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...Q5fAccessories

Or should I just buck up and get the EBC redstuff pads and rotors?

Thanks for the time and help!

Old 08-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Doesnt look as though they are as good as EBC to me but if you get them let us know how good they are and how long they last.The grooves dont go to the edge of the disc.Saying that you do get the full package discs and pads and anything is an imrovement over stock
EBC’s Turbo Groove Brake Discs feature a unique wide “high volume” slot design that runs to the outside edge of the disc allowing the dust, debris, gasses and carbon deposits to be “spun off” from the braking disc surface, further improving braking.

Last edited by BuckMR2; 08-03-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Default Still looking

I still haven't bought rotors and pads yet.

Does anyone have any insight on OC Autosports' slotted and drilled rotors?

The reviews I have found on the net have been pretty good.

I was thinking of pairing these up with Redstuff pads.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Jer

Old 12-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

91Stealthies, I forget the brand of slotted/cross drilled rotors I bought, but they had your standard full ceramic pads and recently I had to jam on the brakes. Let me tell you what, I am glad no one was behind me. I cleared all the seats (almost me too) when that car came to a stop on a dime. So, if you are looking to upgrade, DO IT!!!!! There was no squeal from the tires either. Granted, it helps that I have stepped up to 235's too. I know mine cost me $220 delivered to the door and only took about 2 hours to install (took my time, painted some of the brake parts, etc).

Quick Reply: Time for stopping power