X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today out of nowhere 04 x-type won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Today out of nowhere 04 x-type won't start?

Hello Geniuses
All the lights, fans, radio and mirrors work perfectly fine. But when I try to start it, it makes electric clicking sound. If I keep holding when I'm trying to start it, it makes that clicking sound over and over again.

That being said, let me give you few background info that can help narrow down my problem:
-In Kansas city, weather today is 91F
-Had starter replaced this winter
-Recently had some A/C work done( replaced condenser and drier)
-Battery was checked last November, was fine.

And last one is more important, I never had this issue before. I always ride in my car at least once a day no matter what. But last two days, I didn't even start the car. It's been sitting in the sun for two straight days. And now this. Makes you wonder..

So what's wrong with the big cat?

Old 05-15-2012, 05:57 PM

Update
Tried to jump start it but nothing
I barely have any coolant That shouldn't matter right?

Old 05-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Maikal, as for the coolant, that will not affect the motor starting, but at the same time, I do not recommend running the motor for long with coolant that low. The possibility of having issues goes up dramatically when you run the engine without coolant. I would check the hose connections on your coolant bottle to make sure that they are not cracked (common issue with our cars). Then after that, I would be checking your water pump to see if you are loosing the coolant there (second most likely spot). Both are easy fixes, granted, the water pump will set you back about $50, the overflow bottle about $100 assuming you do the work yourself.

As for the no start condition. What I would tell you to do is to connect a multimeter across the battery. With how the car is sitting right now, the multimeter should be at 12.5 VDC or higher (preferably at 12.6 VDC). This tells me that the battery is up near a full charge. Now, with the multimeter connected across the battery, attempt to start the car as you watch the multimeter. When attempting to crank the car, what is the voltage? If the voltage is up over 12.0 VDC, then you have either a weak starter or a battery cable issue (more likely a bad cable). If the voltage drops to under 11.0 VDC, then you have a bad battery. If the voltage drops to between 11.0 and 12.0, normally this is saying that your starter is toast or you have a bound up engine. If you are thinking that it is a bad battery cable, you can move the multimeter leads to the starter and attempt to start the car again. If the voltage is at 10.5 VDC or higher, then the starter is the problem. If you are suspecting the battery cables, replace both the positive and negative cables. Fairly easy to do and as long as you get the right sized universal cables, the cost is not that bad.

Hope this helps. Just because you replace the starter back a few months doesn't mean that it can not be bad. Things can fail at any time. Same with the battery. Mine was fine starting up to go to the auto parts store, but when I went to leave, I could not even get a tick. A battery can fail that fast.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:33 PM

Thanks

I'll check it out tomorrow and then take it to mechanic.

**** like this, it makes me I hate my car

Old 05-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

If it makes a click like metal on metal, it sounds like the starter solenoid to me. Do everything that thermo has suggested, but to me, it sounds like the solenoid.

Don't hate your car because of this! All cars break down at some point in time!

Old 04-23-2016, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Definitely not being a braggart, and hope it doesn't seem too uppity, because I'm really just surprised that so few people got little treats.

This is my first foray into a luxury vehicle, and coming from Hospitality, we spoil the hell out of our guests with little moments of delight and unexpected surprises. That's what luxury means.

Beyond the few chotchky and swag related crappy items I got when I purchased the car (green keychain paint chipping, thermal cup was garbage and too big for MT cupholders, etc), the hoodie zipper jacket they sent is actually absolutely fantastic.

I'm including a couple pictures because I don't think it should be beyond anyone to go to their dealer and say, hey, why are you holding out on me, give me something cool! Lol

It's been in the closet next to my Icelandic sweaters, pardon the fuzz. But the leather shoulders and pocket liner, the Jag button discreet, the logo nearly invisible. It is wonderful!

Old 04-23-2016, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by maikal_0011
Thanks

I'll check it out tomorrow and then take it to mechanic.

**** like this, it makes me I hate my car
It's a 12 year old car! Things will happen. Seems from your description it will be a nominal repair.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Definitely not being a braggart, and hope it doesn't seem too uppity, because I'm really just surprised that so few people got little treats.

This is my first foray into a luxury vehicle, and coming from Hospitality, we spoil the hell out of our guests with little moments of delight and unexpected surprises. That's what luxury means.

Beyond the few chotchky and swag related crappy items I got when I purchased the car (green keychain paint chipping, thermal cup was garbage and too big for MT cupholders, etc), the hoodie zipper jacket they sent is actually absolutely fantastic.

I'm including a couple pictures because I don't think it should be beyond anyone to go to their dealer and say, hey, why are you holding out on me, give me something cool! Lol

It's been in the closet next to my Icelandic sweaters, pardon the fuzz. But the leather shoulders and pocket liner, the Jag button discreet, the logo nearly invisible. It is wonderful!

HUH!

Old 04-23-2016, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
It's a 12 year old car! Things will happen. Seems from your description it will be a nominal repair.
Isnt this a 12 year old thread too?
Lol

Old 04-23-2016, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by iownme
Isnt this a 12 year old thread too?
Lol
LOL!

Old 04-28-2016, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
LOL!
guys. LOL I am SO sorry. On the mobile site, if you scroll past your thread too fast, you are in a different thread without knowing it. I will delete and apologies but too funny! edit: looks like I can't delete! I think once it is quoted? Not sure. Cheers!

Old 05-26-2016, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Running Hot

My 2004 XJ8 Jaguar is running hot....After 1-2 trip around the block the gage starts to slowly move toward Hot. During this time, the fan starts making a very loud noise and will usually shut off after about 10 minutes after the car has stopped running. It is not holding coolant fluid and I can usually see coolant fluid running on the ground. I have even notice some fluid running from the radiator top. I took the car to the dealer and they did a pressure test and replaced the thermostat and the problem still exist. I took it to another shop and they said it may be the radiator but could not offer that problem as a guarantee......Any help in solving this problem will be most appreciated....Kelvin

Old 05-26-2016, 06:18 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Originally Posted by cube
My 2004 XJ8 Jaguar is running hot...
You may want to post in the X350 forum for quicker response.