X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

too loud ,ur too old

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question too loud ,ur too old

I did repost this here cause nothing gets done in audio visual,and i need a answer soon lol.
Hey the speakers in my x type(witout premium sound) have 2 blown,one doenst work and one work fine...I want to just swap the 6.5 jag spkrs out and put in my focals...now im not going to use the cross over,but rather just swap them out...they are far superior to our spkrs,even the premium sound pkg,It makes sence to me i can just swap them,but hell IDK..I dont even know if their is a x-over in our door (must be) and what frequecy it deals with.I am doing it this way just for now,as I am sick of audio shop argoo,in the way of doubleing my installation price just cause i roll up in a jag..
post script...do i need to go get door pegs before i start this,as i hear they break upon door removeal..thanx guys....

Old 09-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Irish, there's a few things that you need to know before just jumping into this project.

1) the factory system does not use any sort of crossovers. They allow the speakers to naturally limit the speakers. So, the tweeters are attempting to recreate bass and the midranges are attempting to recreate the highs. THIS IS BAD!!!!!! Use the crossovers that came with your speakers. Crossovers are specifically designed for the speakers that they are used with. yes, you can push that a little bit, but there is a reason why they use the crossovers with only a limited style of speakers.

2) yes, the door pegs do tend to break. So, having a few on hand before starting will be a good investment. That way you don't have to get into the door a second time or have to drive around with the door panels off. Just be careful, I have managed to break 2 of the tabs that hold the door pegs. Just a fair warning.

One thing I would recommend checking before you pull out the old speakers and wire up the new ones is to check the resistance rating of the factory speakers. Automobile manufacturers have done some strange things in the past when it comes to speakers. Normally, written on the back of the speaker, you will find atleast 2 sets of numbers. One will be something along the lines of 40W (or, rated at 40 watts peak). The other will be a number with a funny looking "O" (actually an ohm symbol). Your Focals are more than likely 4 ohm speakers. As long as the factory speakers say 4 ohm, you are good. But, if you have say 2 ohm speakers and the factory ones are 6 ohm, you can cause damage to your head unit by making it pull too much current. So, do some looking at the factory speakers and make sure you are not going to create more problems by adding aftermarket stuff. Haven't heard of any problems, but the quick check doesn't hurt.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:02 PM

Ok Im no techy as you know...So you are advising to use the xovers ..Hmmmmm.So it would be best to just put the tweeters in as well..ok ...so would i just put the active wire from the spks in the input of the crossover ??know ur not an audio guy but thought id give it a shot

Old 09-27-2010, 06:09 AM
Veteran member

Irish, actually, I am an audio guy. I've installed more stereo systems than I care to admit to.

As for using the cross-over, it is really easy to do. If you look on the cross-over, you will see 6 connections. 2 are for the input wires, 2 are for the tweeter, and 2 are for the midrange speaker. The big thing you need to keep in mind is that you make sure that the + terminal is connected to the + of the speaker and that + wire from the radio is connected to the + of the cross-over. This will ensure the best sound out of the speakers. Getting these connections reversed will cause the speakers to fight and result in degraded sound. If you want me to get into more detail, just hollar.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:40 AM

Will I be able to see this power wire from stereo by taking off door panel..dont think i can do a whole install.(wish i could cause it's gonna cost me 1000$)..dont wanna take my baby to best buy,or the other chain we all know...lemmie know.
thanx Thermo

Old 09-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

THe crossover is not powered I don't think. You will have the speaker wire coming into the door from the radio. That's the input, make sure to keep the polarity straight. Then the 2 outputs go to the tweeter and mids.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:27 PM

alright i will give it a shot..just gotta find door plugs somewhere in case i break one.I dont think i will be able to fit my aftermarket tweets in the tweeter spot in door,si that will be my next task

Old 09-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishXtype
alright i will give it a shot..just gotta find door plugs somewhere in case i break one.I dont think i will be able to fit my aftermarket tweets in the tweeter spot in door,si that will be my next task
If you're careful and go slowly you might not break any of the pins. But I found some servicable replacements at Autozone so no worries.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Veteran member

Irish, most of the component systems use what are called passive crossovers. So, there is no need for any power wires. Like I mentioned, you will have 2 wires coming in and 4 wires going out. That is it.

As for fitting aftermarket tweets into the door openings, do some looking around. You should be able to find some that will fit in there. I have been looking and found some that would fit in there. Then all you do is put some tape across the back of the speaker to hold it in the door (I made a "mount" like this in the headliner of my truck, carved out some of the reinforcement on the headliner, put the speaker in the hole and then taped over, 10 years later, still working like a champ).

Old 09-28-2010, 09:35 AM

nice...i think i will give it a shot this weekend..I already have a pair of focal n44 tweets...2in depth..see what i can do...stoked..this should be a fun one..by chance is there a universal door peg or are they car specific..

Old 09-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Irishtype, when I got my Jag all four mid-range speackers were blown. The tweeters and the rear bass were working great. I put 4 new Pioneer speackers in the doors and the system is just as awesome as it was when it was new. Oh by the way, I would get some of the door pegs if I were you, some of them on my doors just fell apart when I pulled the panels, the ones that were OK , I just moved them around to spots where they held the panel in place and that worked for me. Good luck with your installation.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:31 PM

so is there a universal door peg,or do i need to get them from a dealer,,which the closest one is a three hour drive..how bout ebay?...or maybe someone has some extras they can send me..for a fee if nessacary