X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer/Gear box problem????

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer/Gear box problem????

Hi folks, I'm having a problem trying to get my 2002 x-type to move in DRIVE.

It works fine in reverse, but put into Drive I can rev the engine up to 4000 RPM and the car only moves forward very slowly 5MPH max, just like a slipping clutch.

No oil leaks, No fault codes. Any ideas please.

Regards
Bungee

Old 06-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Bungee, as much as I hate to tell you this, but it sounds like your car has suffered a failure of atleast first gear, if not most of the tranny. What I would tell you to try is to shift the car over to "2" on the J-gate and see if the car will take off better that way. By putting the car in "2", it forces the computer to bypass 1st gear and start the car rolling in 2nd. See if that makes any difference. Unfortunately, this same trick does not hold true for "3" or "4". If the "2" trick works, you can get the car up to say 40 KPH and then shift it manually over to "D" and that should be enough to get you around for a little bit. Unfortunately, with what it sounds like you have, it will not get better with time.

The other thing that I would tell you to check is the fluid level in the tranny. If this gets low, it can also result in what you are seeing. You are just on the verge of it being too low where the tranny can not shift into any gear. If this is the case, you need to determine where the fluid is going and fix that issue.

The following users liked this post:
Bungee (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 02:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Bungee, as much as I hate to tell you this, but it sounds like your car has suffered a failure of atleast first gear, if not most of the tranny. What I would tell you to try is to shift the car over to "2" on the J-gate and see if the car will take off better that way. By putting the car in "2", it forces the computer to bypass 1st gear and start the car rolling in 2nd. See if that makes any difference. Unfortunately, this same trick does not hold true for "3" or "4". If the "2" trick works, you can get the car up to say 40 KPH and then shift it manually over to "D" and that should be enough to get you around for a little bit. Unfortunately, with what it sounds like you have, it will not get better with time.

The other thing that I would tell you to check is the fluid level in the tranny. If this gets low, it can also result in what you are seeing. You are just on the verge of it being too low where the tranny can not shift into any gear. If this is the case, you need to determine where the fluid is going and fix that issue.
Thank you for your reply Thermo, tried "2" trick you suggested but no joy still the same.
Will have to get it to the garage for them to check the oil level.

Regards
Bungee.