Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transfercase excess fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 05:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transfercase excess fluid

02 x-type 3.0

I had all the seals on the Transfercase changed out. I believe the mechanic put in too much fluid (again)... so I believe it's coming from the vent. I"ve waited it out for a month now. It stopped dripping for like a week and a half. But now at times I've noticed on my driveway a large blot of fluid. So either there is nothing or there is a large blot... any ideas? Does this happen when it's spitting out the last of the excess fluid? Might take it to the mechanic again tomorrow but wanted to get info from you guys first.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Keep in mind that the amount of fluid that may leak out is a function of how fast you drive (since the fluid is churned up by the gears and obviously the faster you drive, the more air you are going to put into the fluid and therefore the more fluid that will leak out). So, if you have recently started driving faster than you did the first part of the month, then that would explain what is going on. Secondly, are you sure it is gear lube and not oil? Both would leak from roughly the same spot and look close to each other once on the ground.

I would also get under the car and take a look at the output shaft for the rear driveshaft. Look in the tranny well and see if you spot a coating of oil/dirt there. If so, you may have a leaking seal for the rear pinion of the transfer case. Fixing this is easy since you only need to unbolt the driveshaft on one end from the transfer case, remove the nut inside the flange, remove a washer, clean the surfaces, then put some RTV on the washer and tighten everything back up.