X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk won't stay locked/closed

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trunk won't stay locked/closed

After searching through the forums, I've seen numerous posts about trunks that get stuck locked, but ours seems to be doing the opposite...it won't stay closed or locked.

Every time the car locks or unlocks (either through key fob or auto locks engage going over 4mph), the trunk unlocks and opens partially.

This happens both when the car is stationary and while in motion. While in motion you get the "boot open" warning and the trunk could pop open. W

Based on some of the previous posts, I removed the lock cover, plastic handle, and trunk liner to inspect the wiring harness. All of that appears intact. I check all of the connections I could see and reach and they appeared good.

Any ideas?

Old 04-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Idea...

Good afternoon. The obvious, have you talked with your local Jaguar dealer? I can understand if you called and they didn't want to tell you anything without seeing the car. Also, hopefully one of the Jaguar mechanics who belong to the forum can offer insight. Have you gone to Google and entered a search for, say, "resetting the boot lid on a Jag X-type." This is how I learned how to reprogram my key fob and how I learned how to reprogram my sunroof. Also, if there is a fuse for the electronics for the boot lid, then maybe that can be replaced. All the best to you in your search for the answer.

The following users liked this post:
Paul Meyer (04-06-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

The boot unlocks when the Blue wire to the Boot Unlock Button is connected to earth/ground. This is usually when the unlock button is operated, but if there is a fault in the wiring, it may be permanently connected to earth and therefore always keeping the boot unlocked. This fault usually occurs in the bellows/flexi tube from the boot lid to the main bodywork through which the wires pass. After being flexed for a number of years, the insulation on the wires cracks up and shorts can happen, causing the symptoms you describe.

If you want to test the Blue wire for a short to earth before ripping all the wiring out, go to the General Electronics Module (GEM) (The big module in the right hand footwell, against the firewall, with 5 separate electrical connectors plugged into it) and, with Ignition Off, remove the righthand plug - should be the Brown one. Then with a meter, check that the Blue wire in the third hole from the left on the bottom row of the plug is NOT shorted to earth/ground. If it is connected to earth, then you will have to hunt the short point down, but it's probably in the flexi connector on the boot lid!

The following 3 users liked this post by astromorg:
billbjork (04-06-2013), circa1976 (09-07-2015), Paul Meyer (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 06:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

@WayneCountyBill: yes, I talked to the dealer before I posted to the forum. They told me it could be numerous things from key fob to wiring to the lock itself.

@astromorg: you, my friend, are a genius. I had not checked the GEM connections in the right footwell. And lo and behold, the module furthest to the left was barely loose. In fact I didn't notice it until I pulled it back and the interior lights shut off. I pushed the connector back in and now everything..trunk, locks, etc works as expected. THANK YOU SIR!

After looking at the GEM connection area in the footwell, it seems like this should be protected with some sort of panel or cover. I wonder if someone kicked the connector loose.

The following 2 users liked this post by Paul Meyer:
astromorg (04-07-2013), circa1976 (09-07-2015)