X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning on fog lights w/ headlights...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turning on fog lights w/ headlights...

I have always disliked having to turn off my automatic lights to turn on the fog lights. Call me lazy or whatever, I just don't want to do it.

Has anyone attempted to modify their lights so when their headlights pop on, so do the fogs?

Old 10-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

You can try to splice wires, but for me, spending a couple hours screwing with my lights is too much hassle than to just switch the lights on to fog lights which takes about a couple seconds.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Fog Lights

Having both on might look good but,,,,need to check with your state/country laws first.

It is illegall in a few states to have the Fog lights on if not needed. It is illegal here in Missouri but a lot of younger kids are doing it since the Police will not pull them over unless they are also speeding.

I dont like it at all since most of them have replaced the Halogens with HIDs and they put out a lot of glare!

Old 10-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

reyesl, I drive with my fog lights on and I have HID's in my fogs too and have never had a problem with them. I also have never had the problem with glare that you are talking about with my xytpe. My fog lights go pretty much to the ground and stay there.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

chiefshb, without adding a relay and other stuff like that, no way to do what you are after. You could bypass the headlight switch for the front fog lights, but then, this would cause the fog lights to be on any time the car is running. The fogs would then only turn off when the high beams were used.

Can it be done, by all means yes. But, how do you feel about cutting wiring and adding in more stuff?

Old 10-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

I guess it's some weird trend-thing, but recently I've seen a lot of people driving with just the fogs on. We couldn't even do that, but I wonder why some do.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

I drive around with my fog lights on during dusk just because it makes my car look cool. I don't think it's illegal.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Veteran member

I will admit that I tend to drive with only my fog lights on periodically. But, normally this is during say a good rain or something of the like and the need to be seen extremely long distances is not needed. Besides, it helps even out some run time between the fog lights and the headlights. As for running both, I can not imagine what my car would look like because of having HIDs in both the fogs and low beams. That would be way too much light for on the road. But then, I see people driving around that way all the time. It is those people that scare me because they probably have night blindness and they are on the roads at night in an area where there are lots of long curvy roads with no street lights in the middle of no where.

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (10-05-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
chiefshb, without adding a relay and other stuff like that
I'm not completely against adding a relay or two (I assume one for each side), but what might the "other stuff like that" entail? This is mostly a "want" item and not really needed. I like the look it gives having all the lights on in front, but I do intend to put hid lights on both the headlights and fogs. If it does cause issues to oncoming traffic, I don't want to do that. Too many times I've had someone come towards me on the road with hid lights and I couldn't see anything...and that's no joke. They were so bright, I had to hit the brakes cause I couldn't see anything.

Originally Posted by disguay
My fog lights go pretty much to the ground and stay there.
I agree that the lights would be pointed at the ground. I thought that was the intended use of fog lights...I may be wrong on that, though.

Originally Posted by reyesl
It is illegall in a few states to have the Fog lights on if not needed. It is illegal here in Missouri but a lot of younger kids are doing it since the Police will not pull them over unless they are also speeding.
From my knowledge of living in Missouri (St. Louis, Kansas City, Fulton), you are aloud to have a total of 4 lights...2 must be headlights, the other 2 can be driving lights or auxiliary lights as long as they aren't neon (under car) or colored.

That may have changed since I moved away, though (1990).

Either way, I drive with mine on in my truck here in Florida (for 7 years...every night) and have never had an issue. Even if it's illegal, if I don't get pulled over for it...it's not illegal!

Originally Posted by Thermo
I will admit that I tend to drive with only my fog lights on periodically.
I didn't even know we were able to do that in the X.

Last edited by chiefshb; 10-05-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:28 AM
Veteran member

Cheifshb, in short, what you would be doing is taking the in and out wires to the fog lights(green/white wire for both) on the headlight switch, adding a wire to them, running these wires over to a relay on the main power side (posts 30 and 87). From there, you would take post 86 on the relay and run it to ground. Finally, you would be running a wire from the downstream side of Fuse F29 or F30 (either one works, F29 has an orange/yellow wire going to the driver's headlight, F30 has a green/white wire going to the passenger headlight) to post 85 on the relay.

What this does is adds a bypass to the headlight switch that any time the headlights are on, the fog lights will turn on too. The only exception to this will be when you turn on your high beams. Then the fog lights will go out too. By doing it this way, it also keeps the ability for you to manually control the lights by turning the headlight switch out of the AUTO position and to off or PARK position. In both of these positions, your headlights and fog lights will be off. If you want, while in the PARK position, you can pull the headlight switch out 1 click and engage the fog lights only along with the parking lights.

Atleast on my 2003, I can pull the headlight switch out to engage both the front and rear fog lights with the headlight switch in both the ON and PARK positions. So, there is no need to have your headlights on to turn on your front or rear fog lights.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by disguay
You can try to splice wires, but for me, spending a couple hours screwing with my lights is too much hassle than to just switch the lights on to fog lights which takes about a couple seconds.
what if you have the lights but there's no switch or *** or anything like that that says its for fog lights

Old 02-20-2020, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

The light switch when switched on, then pulls out (towards you) 1 click for front fogs and 2nd click for both front AND rear fogs.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-smart-213947/

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 02-20-2020 at 12:14 AM.