X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unwanted Christmas Puzzle

Old 12-21-2015, 05:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Unwanted Christmas Puzzle

Gentlemen...
The car is parked overnight on the road and has always started no problem and no warning lights/symbols are showing.
After a relatively short journey I parked my X-Type 2.2 Diesel and went shopping.The weather was wet and windy and the car was steamed up.
On returning aprox 2 hours later and before turning on the ignition I noticed the heater fan was blowing and the AC button light was illuminated.

On attempting to start ,the engine tried to turn over twice before it gave up with just the ignition lights flickering.Clearly the fan had drained the battery.
The AA recovery got me jump started and I drove home thinking how the fan could stay on without the ignition.
On parking and switching off the ignition, I delayed leaving the car still trying to fathom out the fan ,when after a minute, the fan blower started up on its own.
Switching the ignition back on, I could switch off the blower and now lit AC switch ,but again after removing the key and waiting a minute the fan switched back on.
Although not the answer to the problem, I guess these deep overnight discharges and fast recharges have had a serious effect on the battery (such as now only showing 11.5 volts after switching off the ignition), so Ive bought a new 85Ah battery.
The annoying part about this problem is that it is now intermittant, and Ive not been able to associate any contributable factors as to what is causing it.
So if there is anyone that could suggest the best course of action I would be most grateful.
Thanks for the help Ive had with previous threads and wish the members all the best for the new year.

Last edited by GGG; 12-22-2015 at 01:35 PM. Reason: emphasise Model
Old 12-22-2015, 01:32 PM
GGG
Received 16,760 Likes on 12,149 Posts

Originally Posted by solostax
...... So if there is anyone that could suggest the best course of action I would be most grateful. .......
...... is to post in the relevant tech forum. I've moved it to X-Type forum for you.

Graham

Old 12-22-2015, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Boy, hat seems like a weird issue. Can't say that I ever remember seeing someone post something up similar. Hope it turns out to be something relatively simple.

You mention that right now the issue is intermittent. Do you turn the climate control off completely when you turn off the car or do you leave it on where it is set and just take the key out like you normally would? Have you recently had any work done especially electrical in nature? Does it only seem to happen when it is wet out?

Do you have the regular climate controls or do you have the navigation where they are on the touch screen? Or do you have totally manual controls. Might be helpful to post some more specific information about your car.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:11 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have some sort of aftermarket engine block/interior heater installed? Is it possible that it might be acting up and trying to warm the interior?

The engine fan turning on by itself is often caused by water in ECU compartment and inside the ECU box itself. Not so sure about the heater fan. I dont know if there is a separate module for AC or where to find it, but the trouble you have sure sounds like there could be water inside that module.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
...... is to post in the relevant tech forum. I've moved it to X-Type forum for you.

Graham
Thanks Graham, I'll check for any replies

Old 12-22-2015, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Boy, hat seems like a weird issue. Can't say that I ever remember seeing someone post something up similar. Hope it turns out to be something relatively simple.

You mention that right now the issue is intermittent. Do you turn the climate control off completely when you turn off the car or do you leave it on where it is set and just take the key out like you normally would? Have you recently had any work done especially electrical in nature? Does it only seem to happen when it is wet out?

Do you have the regular climate controls or do you have the navigation where they are on the touch screen? Or do you have totally manual controls. Might be helpful to post some more specific information about your car.
Thanks Alfadude for coming back to me.
My x type is 2006 2.2 Diesel estate with no modifications or electrical work been carried out. It is standard and previously been very reliable.
The touch screen fan control was off (blank) when the motor cut in and only when I switched on the ignition did the screen come on to be able to stop the uncommanded fan.

Having ploughed through many pages on the forums trying to find some similar symptoms that might give a clue I will pursue several that hint the electronics are aware of the drivers seat being occupied without the ignition being activated.
I included the weather description as I now believe this might have some bearing on the fault. On the few occasions this has happened I had put the flat battery down to very short journeys that were not long enough to replenish the charge.
Thanks again and will definitely update on any developments.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:48 PM

[QUOTE=simo5555;1369500]Do you have some sort of aftermarket engine block/interior heater installed? Is it possible that it might be acting up and trying to warm the interior?

The engine fan turning on by itself is often caused by water in ECU compartment and inside the ECU box itself. Not so sure about the heater fan. I dont know if there is a separate module for AC or where to find it, but the trouble you have sure sounds like there could be water inside that module.[/QUOTE

Thanks Simo5555 for the comments
And please note the reply to Alfadude
I was hoping this had been reported before.It definitely seems weird and
Illogical but I will be taking notes on the exact circumstances (when) it happens again. Although i have only owned the car since June, she has been very reliable.
. I have today replaced the date (2013) coded 80 Ah battery with a 85Ah heavy duty maintenance free type.
Hope to find the answer soon. Will update. Thanks.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Solo, I would start with trying to swap the relay for the dash fan with a similar relay. It is possible that the relay is sticking and allowing the fan to continue to run.

With this being said, is the fan running in the same speed as you had with the car on, or is the fan running at max speed? This may help me figure out where your problem may lie.

Just for reference, the computer module for the fan is in the control panel in the center of the dash. with that being said, do you have the nav radio or the basic radio? this will also give me some possible problem areas.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Solo, I would start with trying to swap the relay for the dash fan with a similar relay. It is possible that the relay is sticking and allowing the fan to continue to run.

With this being said, is the fan running in the same speed as you had with the car on, or is the fan running at max speed? This may help me figure out where your problem may lie.

Just for reference, the computer module for the fan is in the control panel in the center of the dash. with that being said, do you have the nav radio or the basic radio? this will also give me some possible problem areas.
Thanks Thermo, I have the touch screen navigation panel with climate control bluetooth phone multi cd player etc.
Your point regarding the fan speed setting is interesting but I cannot remember the setting prior to ignition switch off, although I always individually switch off anything I have turned on during a journey before ignition off . This fan speed setting will be noted for future reference when it happens again.

I will find and substitute the relay ,but
think there maybe a problem with the" sticking on" relay theory in that when I first discovered the fan running it had been off and then came on by itself ,subsequently I confirm that only after i had parked up, ignition off, in neutral and handbrake on ,( and after the internal lighting had timed out ) did the fan suddenly start running.
It's as if watching a water tap turning on without human intervention!
I had checked this morning (dry but windy) and the car started without problem.
You've given me a few ideas to check out so until it happens again I will watch and monitor the circumstances that might be causing the problem.
Thanks.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by solostax
Gentlemen...
The car is parked overnight on the road and has always started no problem and no warning lights/symbols are showing.
After a relatively short journey I parked my X-Type 2.2 Diesel and went shopping.The weather was wet and windy and the car was steamed up.
On returning aprox 2 hours later and before turning on the ignition I noticed the heater fan was blowing and the AC button light was illuminated.

On attempting to start ,the engine tried to turn over twice before it gave up with just the ignition lights flickering.Clearly the fan had drained the battery.
The AA recovery got me jump started and I drove home thinking how the fan could stay on without the ignition.
On parking and switching off the ignition, I delayed leaving the car still trying to fathom out the fan ,when after a minute, the fan blower started up on its own.
Switching the ignition back on, I could switch off the blower and now lit AC switch ,but again after removing the key and waiting a minute the fan switched back on.
Although not the answer to the problem, I guess these deep overnight discharges and fast recharges have had a serious effect on the battery (such as now only showing 11.5 volts after switching off the ignition), so Ive bought a new 85Ah battery.
The annoying part about this problem is that it is now intermittant, and Ive not been able to associate any contributable factors as to what is causing it.
So if there is anyone that could suggest the best course of action I would be most grateful.
Thanks for the help Ive had with previous threads and wish the members all the best for the new year.
AA Recovery in UK = AAA in USA
AA in USA = alcoholics anonymous
;@)

The following users liked this post:
mrplow58 (12-24-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the info IOWNME.
Do alcoholics anonymous in the States know anything about Jaguars? because this problem could drive me to drink!!!!
All the best