X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update - tail light issue - jaguar xtype 04

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 06:55 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Update - tail light issue - jaguar xtype 04

]Just tracked down issue with why my back up sencers would go off while driving & navigation screen would flicker - I took off the electrical connector from the back tail light looked in side of the pins & notice # 6 was burned & had corrosion - also with the the back of the light same situation - plus to add on more fuel on the fire same issue with the other side as well - I realize the wires do meet together its a green/black wire then converts to all black wire - I believe it's a ground not to sure - I'm figuring I'm might have to replace both - now if that's the cast I tried to buy the back peace to the light no luck every were I look I have to buy the whole tail light unit - before I go that rout can I repair this any other way can the light be salvage - both lights are in working order / not to sure what pin # 6 is for - if someone knows can u please let me know - or if u have any helpful tips thanks
Update - tail light issue - jaguar xtype 04-image.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1093
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	46797
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1093
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	46797

Last edited by magicjuan17; 06-30-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:05 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Juan, how good are you with soldering? What you are looking at most likely ending up doing is going to a store like NAPA (they always seem to have the best electrical selection for vehicles) and finding the pins that go inside the plug. From there, you would end up cutting off the old connector and then soldering a new pin on the wire. You might have luck going to a wrecking/salvage yard and seeing if you can find a plug that way that uses the same pins. But, this is going to be the more expensive route as most places will require you to buy the whole harness, even if you are only taking the one plug.

As for the tail light itself, the pins are cast right into the bulb base. So, no getting around that. Granted, I am sure some of the members may be able to help you out there. Some of us have pieces like that laying around.

The following users liked this post:
magicjuan17 (07-01-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

I have the back piece for the right tail light if you need it, send me a PM and we'll work it out

As far as the left, I would look on eBay. You can get an entire used tail light assembly for around $50

The following users liked this post:
magicjuan17 (07-01-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Tail light issue

Thanks for help - it looks like I'm going to have to replace both the connector & the back panel that hold light - due to pin # 6 has completely melted through & unit is not salvageable, lights still work fine but this issue causes my back up sencers to go off randomly & other strange thing like navigation screen flickers /
I just need help figuring out what pin # 6 if for - because when I do buy the units & install I don't want thi problem happening again - not sure if its a sort or a ground issue - water/corrsion, cause both tail light were effected by this- Update - tail light issue - jaguar xtype 04-image.jpg

Old 07-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Juan, on the right hand tail light, the #6 pin is for the reverse lights. On the left hand tail light, #6 pin is the common ground wire for the tail light.

As for what caused your problem, I would venture to guess that you had a little bit of water get into the connector and that caused the pin to go bad. Granted, looking at the other pins, they don't seem to be corroded. So, it may just be that the pin wasn't seated all the way in the connector (due to being force at some point most likely) and that caused a hot spot to form, leading to the discoloration.