X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded wiring harness for headlight, dipped beam and fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 09:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Upgraded wiring harness for headlight, dipped beam and fog lights

I bought my wife a completely stock 04 Entry Level Wagon with 30,000 miles. Headlights, dipped beams and fog lights are all factory original H1 incandescent 55 W bulbs for Hong Kong and China markets.

Last week I noticed a burned out headlight bulb. When I took off the housing cover, the power supply wiring insulation was crispy and flaking off the wire. Up to one inch of bare wire leading to each bulb. A testament to Thermo's constant message that the stock wiring is inadequate for 55W bulbs.

I need to replace the wiring, but feel no need to upgrade to HIDs. The top speed on Lantau Island is 70 KM, or about 43 MPH, so we don't need lighting for a longer distance in front of the car. The 55W incandescents are more than adequate for our speeds and road conditions.

I see a complete H1 upgraded wiring harness for up to 4 H1 bulbs on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/H1-Ceramic-QUAD-OUTPUT-Relay-Wiring-Harness-Headlight-Foglight-Bulb-Booster-100w-/201016510816?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &fits=Make%3AJaguar|Model%3AX-Type&hash=item2ecd848960&vxp=mtr

Has anyone used this harness, and what is your experience? They describe this harness as a more generic application for several different makes and models, so I am going to assume some adjustment for length of the wiring will be required. I don't care for a lot of extra wire coiled up and hanging around the engine bay.

Secondly, this product has wiring for 4 H1 lights, and I have 6 H1 lights. Does anyone know of a supplier for an upgraded harness for the third pair of H1s--the fog lights? Barratts, do you guys have anything like this? I prefer to buy something already available, but, if it is not currently on the market, I am sure I can find a good quality source in China to custom make what I need.

Thank you for any support you can give on this. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from Hong Kong.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Mike, save yourself a lot of time and money. What you need to worry about is simply pulling the old wiring out of the headlight housing from the headlight bulb back to where it attaches to the first terminal inside the headlight housing. Then you need to get your hands on some telfon insulation wiring (most of what you will find made these days). The teflon insulation is going to handle the bulb heat much better and not flake like you experienced. You can replace the 2 wires inside of each headlight.

You don't need the relay setup as your car is already using a relay setup. Not to mention that the relay setup is only going to replace the wiring between the fuse box and the headlight housing. This wiring is just fine. it is really the last few inches of wiring inside the headlight housing that is the point of concern. Hence the replacing of the wiring like I mentioned above.

If you need some other ideas, let me know and I will assist however I can.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:59 PM

Thank you, Thermo. This forum is really valuable.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:43 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Jaguar issued a "Jaguar EPQR - View FAQ" in June of 2005 for this fault.
We got a KIT with wires and connectors to repair the headlamps.

Here is the FAQ with the PICS.

bob gauff

Attached Thumbnails Upgraded wiring harness for headlight, dipped beam and fog lights-xtypeheadlamp1.jpg   Upgraded wiring harness for headlight, dipped beam and fog lights-xtypeheadlamp2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
xtypeheadlamp.pdf (77.5 KB, 276 views)
The following users liked this post:
mikeb (12-13-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 09:39 PM

Bob and Thermo. I am getting nowhere with the Jaguar parts and service reps here in Hong Kong (Aberdeen and Kowloon). They finally say Jaguar has no part numbers 418-411-76 and 418-411-77. They can supply only the wiring harness from the fuse block to the headlamp. OK, possibly my car has a different wiring harness because it is made for the China market, but I doubt that. VIN SAJAG55S44YE13154. 2004 Estate Entry Wagon, 2.0L, auto. I am posting some photos for you to check it out. I am an electrical wiring novice at best, but the wiring on my car looks the same as the photos in the FAQ you sent, Bob. What next? Maybe I go to Jaguar US or UK to buy the parts, replace only the burned wires with something I find on eBay, have new harnesses fabricated by a shop? What are your suggestions?Upgraded wiring harness for headlight, dipped beam and fog lights-img_0404.jpg

Upgraded wiring harness for headlight, dipped beam and fog lights-img_0406.jpg

Upgraded wiring harness for headlight, dipped beam and fog lights-img_0408.jpg

Upgraded wiring harness for headlight, dipped beam and fog lights-img_0413.jpg

Old 12-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Just go to a supply store and buy some 1/4" female spade connectors and replace the melted ones.

You can use butt connectors to add wire.

When we ran out of the components in the kit we just used common electrical parts.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
mikeb (12-21-2014)