X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

URGENT: Code P1000 - Comprehensive & Evap Tests Not Complete - Need Inspection ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT: Code P1000 - Comprehensive & Evap Tests Not Complete - Need Inspection ASAP

Hello,

I have a 2002 Jaguar X Type that I’ve had for about 2 yearsnow. I have been trying to get my inspection for the last two months; however, Icannot seem to get the p1000 code to convert to p1111. I have driven about 800miles since the code was last reset due to having some work done.
Each time I’ve gone in for the inspection, the tech has toldme that I have two tests that are still “not complete”. (Comprehensive andEVAP). He has been nice enough to not actually FAIL me because he performs thereadiness test before he actually completes the inspection. His only advice hasbeen to “keep driving it because each car is different.” Of course, this wouldn’tbe a problem if my inspection sticker wasn’t already expired.

I’ve seen several posts online about completing the “drivecycle”; however, I haven’t seen one that’s written in “plain English” that I completelyunderstood how to follow...

By the day, I am in Texas. I’ve read that some states have awaiver on the comprehensive test; however, I am not sure if that applies to TX.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 12-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 351 Posts

This is the full list of monitoring cycles as listed by Jaguar in JTIS. Is this any help or is more guidance with the interpretation required?

OBD SYSTEM READINESS – ENGINE MANAGEMENT
If DTC P1000 is flagged after DTCs have been cleared, all engine management OBD diagnostic monitor drive cycles HAVE NOT BEEN COMPLETED.

If DTC P1111 is flagged after DTCs have been cleared, all engine management OBD diagnostic monitor drive cycles HAVE BEEN COMPLETED.

OBD SYSTEM READINESS – TRANSMISSION
Use WDS Datalogger “TOTAL NUMBER OF DTC SET” to determine if transmission OBD monitoring has been completed.

OBD DIAGNOSTIC MONITORS
The Engine Management and Transmission Control systems are continuously checked during vehicle operation by the Engine Control Module (ECM) and Transmission
Control Module (TCM) on-board diagnostic (OBD) facilities. Powertrain OBD incorporates six diagnostic monitors. Each monitor has an associated group of DTCs. The
diagnostic monitors will complete the diagnostic test(s) if a specified service “drive cycle” is carried out.
The six diagnostic monitors are as follows:
– Heated Oxygen Sensors Monitor
– Adaptive Fuel Monitor
– Misfire Monitor
– Catalyst Efficiency Monitor
– Purge System Monitor
– Comprehensive Component Monitor (Engine Management / Transmission)

DIAGNOSTIC MONITORS DRIVE CYCLES
Technicians can ensure that an OBD Monitor drive cycle is completed and that all or specific components have been checked by completing a specified drive cycle.
Use the following service drive cycles to confirm that the components and subsystems covered by the Diagnostic Monitors are operating correctly.
HEATED OXYGEN SENSORS MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE
Upstream (Universal) oxygen sensors:
1 Engine OFF; cooling fans inoperative > 20 seconds.
2 Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature > 82 °C (180 °F).
3 Drive the vehicle between 3000 – 4000 rpm at a steady speed. Lift foot completely off accelerator and coast to a stop within 30 seconds. Do not touch accelerator
pedal for 4 seconds after coming to a stop.
4 Repeat step 3.
5 Idle engine for 11 minutes.
Downstream oxygen sensors:
1 Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature > 82 °C (180 °F).
2 Drive the vehicle steadily between 48 – 97 km/h (30 – 60 mph) for 10 minutes.
3 Drive the vehicle above 3000 rpm in 4th gear at a steady speed. Lift foot completely off accelerator and coast for 30 seconds.
Oxygen sensor heaters:
2 Idle engine for 3 minutes.
ADAPTIVE FUEL MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE
2 Idle for a minimum of 10 minutes.

MISFIRE MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE
1 Record flagged DTC (s) and accompanying WDS DTC Monitor freeze frame(s) data.
2 Fuel level > 25%.
3 Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature > 82 °C (180 °F).
4 Drive vehicle to the recorded freeze frame conditions (from step 1).
5 Repeat several times.
Note regarding misfire monitor DTCs:
If on the first trip, the misfire is severe enough to cause excess exhaust emission, the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1316 will be logged. The CHECK ENGINE MIL
will not be activated. If the fault reoccurs on the second trip, the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1316 will be flagged, and the CHECK ENGINE MIL will be activated.
If on the first trip, the misfire is severe enough to cause catalyst damage (more severe than excess exhaust emission), the CHECK ENGINE MIL will flash while the
fault is present and the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1313 (bank 1), DTC P1314 (bank 2) will be logged. When the fault is no longer present the MIL will be deactivated.
If the fault reoccurs on the second trip, the CHECK ENGINE MIL will flash while the fault is present and the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1313 (bank 1),
DTC P1314 (bank 2) will be flagged. When the fault is no longer present the CHECK ENGINE MIL will be activated.
CATALYST EFFICIENCY MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE
2 Drive vehicle steadily between 1700 – 2500 rpm for 5 minutes.

PURGE SYSTEM MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE
1 Fuel level > 15% and < 85%. If it is necessary to add fuel, reduce vapor concentration by driving the vehicle steadily for 30 minutes avoiding driving conditions
that will produce excessive fuel movement.
2 Ambient temperature > -5 °C (23 °F); engine at normal operating temperature > 82 °C (180 °F).
3 Drive the vehicle steadily for 15 minutes avoiding driving conditions that will produce excessive fuel movement. Using WDS, ensure that the EVAP Canister
Purge Valve is operating by observing “PURGE VAPOR MANAGEMENT VALVE – DUTY CYCLE”.
4 Gently coast to a stop. Idle engine 2 minutes. Using WDS, ensure that the EVAP Canister Purge Valve is operating by observing “PURGE VAPOR MANAGEMENT
VALVE – DUTY CYCLE”.
Note: The diagnostic will not run if the vapor concentration in the fuel tank is too great.
Note: If Purge System DTCs are flagged after conducting the drive cycle, There may be a Purge System mechanical fault. Refer to P0441 Possible Causes.
COMPREHENSIVE COMPONENT MONITOR ENGINE MANAGEMENT DRIVE CYCLE
To avoid unnecessary complexity, a single comprehensive engine management drive cycle has not developed for X-TYPE. Refer to the individual DTC for specific drive
cycle / monitoring conditions.

COMPREHENSIVE COMPONENT MONITOR TRANSMISSION DRIVE CYCLE
The Comprehensive Component Monitor transmission drive cycle will “check” all transmission system components.
1 Engine and transmission at normal operating temperature. Ignition OFF; ensure that SPORT mode is NOT selected.
2 With gear selector in P and the ignition ON. Check gearshift interlock by attempting to move selector without pressing the brake pedal. Verify P state illumination.
3 Press and hold the brake pedal. Move the gear selector to R. Verify R state illumination.
4 Set the parking brake. Press and hold the brake pedal. Attempt to start the engine. The engine should not start.
5 Move the gear selector to N. Verify N state illumination. Start the engine.
6 With the hand brake set and the brake pedal pressed, move the gear selector to the remaining positions in the J Gate (D, 4, 3, 2) for five (5) seconds each. Verify
the state illumination in each position.
7 Move the gear selector back to 4. Verify 4 state illumination.
8 Move the gear selector to D. Verify D state illumination.
9 Move the gear selector to N. Verify N state illumination.
10 Select R, release the brakes and drive the vehicle in Reverse for a short distance.
11 Stop the vehicle.
12 Select 2 and drive the vehicle up to 65 km/h (40 mph). Hold 65 km/h (40 mph) for a minimum of five (5) seconds.
13 Select 3 and hold 65 km/h (40 mph) for a minimum of five (5) seconds.
14 Select 4 and hold 65 km/h (40 mph) for a minimum of five (5) seconds.
15 Select D and accelerate to a minimum speed of 80 km/h (50 mph). Hold 80 – 129 km/h (50 – 80 mph) for a minimum of 1.7 kilometers (1 mile).
16 Stop the vehicle; do not switch OFF the engine.
17 Use WDS Datalogger “TOTAL NUMBER OF DTC SET” to ensure that transmission DTC monitoring is complete.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the fast response! Yes. Unfortunately, I believe more interpretation is required.

That's a ton of information... I'm guessing I should preform the "COMPREHENSIVE COMPONENT MONITOR TRANSMISSION DRIVE CYCLE"?
(sorry, to ask stupid questions, but this is a tad bit overwhelming)

By the way, my car is a manual.. I'm not really sure what it means to "verify illumination". Or "move the gear selector to the remaining positions in the J Gate (D, 4, 3, 2) ".

Also, I have a basic code reader.. where can I find a "WDS Datalogger "

Thanks again!

Old 12-12-2014, 10:48 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

This is the set you want:

Before Starting, Fuel level needs to be above 15% and below 85%, and the outside temp above 25ºF. This will allow the evap tests to run at the same time you are cycling the OBDII stuff.

1. Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature >(180 °F).

2. Drive the vehicle between 3000 – 4000 rpm at a steady speed. Lift foot completely off accelerator and coast to a stop within 30 seconds. Do not touch accelerator pedal for 4 seconds after coming to a stop.

3. Repeat step 2.

4. Stop the engine, allow the fans to stop running. Restart the car, allow it to warm back up, then Drive the vehicle steadily between 30 – 60 mph for 10 minutes.

5. Drive the vehicle above 3000 rpm in 4th gear at a steady speed. Lift foot completely off accelerator and coast for 30 seconds. Don't use 5th, it will hose your emissions test.

6. Stop the engine, allow the fans to stop running. Restart the car, allow it to warm back up to normal operating temp, then alllow it to idle for 3 minutes...no more, no less.

7. Stop the engine, allow the fans to stop running. Restart the car, allow it to warm back up to normal operating temp, then allow it to idle for a minimum of 10 minutes.

8. Stop the engine, allow the car to cool.

This should get you the 1111 code if everything is working.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 351 Posts

As you don't have an autobox, you can ignore the transmission sections.

If you have only a basic scanner, ignore the WDS references but keep checking for fault codes when appropriate.

In your circumstances, wa3ra's abbreviated procedure would be a good one for you to follow!

Old 12-16-2014, 04:06 PM

Hello again,

So far I haven't had any luck following the instructions above... However, I'm not going to rule out the possibility of "user error". I'll try it again a few times throughout this week and see what happens.

It still shows P1000 code. There are no other codes or known issues... I've driven around 1,025 miles now.

Are there any known cases where the comprehensive and evap tests NEVER completed? Just curious...

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2014, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

Also look for pending codes and do not clear the codes as that will force it back to step zero: P1000 and all the OBD monitors unset.

If no codes of any kind but P1000 and monitors aren't setting then you know there's a fault but not what it is. It'll be tough and will take serious effort to figure out so may need lots of time to DIY. A place to start is to look at the sensors & readings for plausibility using OBD.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:07 AM

Question for you guys,
I have had the engine check light on for some time and I am trying to work out whether the codes I am seeing are valid or not. P0037, P0116, P1642 and P1647
Having cleared the codes I get P1000 and no other codes. After a short drive the codes P0037 and P1647 return.
I have not completed the full drive cycle to get code P1111. Are the codes P0037 and P1647 still valid even though the drive cycle has not been completed ?
p.s. “Drive the vehicle between 3000 – 4000 rpm at a steady speed. Lift foot completely off accelerator and coast to a stop within 30 seconds”. Assuming I can find a quiet bit of road with a long enough straight, how exactly do you do this? Do you leave the car in gear?. Do you use the brakes at all?
Tks in advance

Old 12-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

Yes, and they're quite possibly the reason why it won't get to P1111

The following users liked this post:
Hawthorn (12-27-2014)