X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video of a noise my Jag is making in the cold. What is my cat telling me? :-/

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Video of a noise my Jag is making in the cold. What is my cat telling me? :-/

This noise only happens when the temperature dips below -10*C.

This is a short clip but the noise goes ON and ON... Annoying but starting to make me worried.

It's usally a whistle (like what you hear in the video) that increases a bit with speed.

Anyone have thoughts?

sad cold jag - YouTube

Last edited by JasonERF; 01-03-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My thinking is that it's freaking cold outside and something isn't receiving any lubrication. Probably something with a pulley on it like the alternator or water pump.
If its coming from the engine compartment you can track it down by using a big screwdriver like a stethoscope. Just put the screwdriver against parts of the engine while your ear is on the handle. It works!

The following users liked this post:
JasonERF (01-05-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 12:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same noise in my 02 X. Got no clue what the hell it is. If you find out please post what it was. Thanks.

Rich

JasonERF (01-05-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 12:51 AM

I have the same noise on my 03 x-type when driving around 23-25mph. I'm here in Honolulu, Hi. where the weather never gets too cold so I don't know if temperature is a factor for me.

JasonERF (01-05-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 01:41 AM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Rover Cars did experiment with Gas Turbine Engines in cars in the '50s. Are you sure you haven't got one of them?

It certainly sounds like a whistle rather than a belt or pulley. I've just had a chat with Murray about it, and one thought is this:-the radiator fan comes on when the car is first started, then shuts off as the car accelerates (presumably because air begins to flow through the radiator as a result of forward motion). It could be a 'tag end' of the molding process for the fan which is producing a 'wind whistle' as the fan speeds up, then either drops off or drowns as the car gains momentum or the fan cuts out.

Just an 'out of left field' idea, but it is an unusual sound, and it doesn't sound mechanical. Have a look see if you can spot any 'tags' of (nylon/polypropelene) on the fan blades or somewher like that.

Cheers,

Languid

JasonERF (01-05-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by harryc
My thinking is that it's freaking cold outside and something isn't receiving any lubrication. Probably something with a pulley on it like the alternator or water pump.
If its coming from the engine compartment you can track it down by using a big screwdriver like a stethoscope. Just put the screwdriver against parts of the engine while your ear is on the handle. It works!
I have a feeling it will be too hard to track down myself as it only happens in motion. Damn.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I heard this sound once, briefly, in mine.

Last winter, it was about -5°C, not long after startup, car was cold, and it made that noise for a few seconds. Then it was gone...

I can't remember where, but I read something about bearings in the transfer case, or maybe the propshaft/tailshaft/driveshaft.

Haven't heard it since so I didn't worry about it.

I agree that it's something to do with cold & lack of lubrication.
Suggest you search the threads on here for changing (adding) fluid to the TC, and how to grease the propshaft bearings.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too am starting to get some sort of noise like that...but mine seems to do it when accelerating or decelerating and all the way through 70 mph...I had greased the prop shaft bearing previuosly but I think its signature tell is typically showing up on deceleration in cold weather under 30mph...So now I'm thinking TC case...But any opinions or info from someone with prior experience would be great. I think I might try to flush the case in the next couple of days.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

everyone, don't freak out about this noise. It is notorious for the xtype's and I too have the noise. It is coming from your driveshaft support bearing. Sometimes people have greased them and get them to shut up, but in my case the grease didn't really help and the whole bearing will have to be replaced. It's a really simple repair, but I haven't done it yet because it only occurs at really cold temperatures and I have learned to live with it. Also, by making noise, the bearing isn't damaging anything as it still spins great because I have just lubricated it. The bearing costs about $150 but the hardest part about the repair is you have to take the whole driveshaft to a shop to have them press the old one off and get the new one on. The part is also called the propshaft bearing or propshaft support bearing.

Last edited by disguay; 01-05-2012 at 02:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by disguay:
JasonERF (01-06-2012), JimC64 (01-06-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default noise

My 03 X has the same noise between 20-25 mph below 30*above

Old 01-06-2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by disguay
everyone, don't freak out about this noise. It is notorious for the xtype's and I too have the noise. It is coming from your driveshaft support bearing. Sometimes people have greased them and get them to shut up, but in my case the grease didn't really help and the whole bearing will have to be replaced. It's a really simple repair, but I haven't done it yet because it only occurs at really cold temperatures and I have learned to live with it. Also, by making noise, the bearing isn't damaging anything as it still spins great because I have just lubricated it. The bearing costs about $150 but the hardest part about the repair is you have to take the whole driveshaft to a shop to have them press the old one off and get the new one on. The part is also called the propshaft bearing or propshaft support bearing.
Feel good comment of the thread!

What kind of lube did you use? I assume a good cold weather one?

Old 01-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonERF
Feel good comment of the thread!

What kind of lube did you use? I assume a good cold weather one?
Glad I could help! I will attach the faq for greasing the propshaft bearing. Just remember that the actual pictures for greasing the bearing start around the bottom of the page so you have to scroll down to find what you are looking for. Also, I just went to the auto store and bought a good synthetic white lube because sythetics tend to hold their viscosity regardless of temperature. Remember that sometime lubing it works, sometimes is subsides it a bit, but for me it did nothing because my bearing has a bunch of crap all over it and I'm sure it's been dirty it's whole life (11 years) thus getting dust and debris inside of the bearing.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ring-faq-9853/

Old 01-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  19.3 KB

Read the X type quick FAQ link thread
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...essories-5915/

Its all there for you

disguay (01-06-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah it's the propshaft. I had one changed under warranty because of this. It's making it again, although less than yours.... -20C sometimes here. Some people have discussed shooting oil in the end of the shaft. In fact another time I was at the dealer that is exactly what I saw the mechanic doing.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as others have mentioned, it's a bearing I think from the prop shaft. Mine has been doing this for the past few years now but only if it's really cold outside. Once I speed up above 40-45 it goes away but comes back when you slow down again. But it goes away altogether after about 10 min of driving time probably when the metal parts get warmed up. I wouldn't worry about it, so far I haven't noticed anything different driving wise and like I said, mines been doing this during the winters probably for about 4-5 years. I'm glad i stumbled across this thread, now I can actually try to do something about the annoying noise.

Last edited by roblox84; 01-08-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been having the same issue, thanks all for the info! Now I know what it is and dont have to worry about replacing it right away!

Old 01-10-2012, 05:19 PM

Only LOL thing is when you're driving with friends or on a date...

"Yeah, that noise that's destroying your ear drum: it's no big deal. It's just a bearing in the prop shaft... of my Jaguar... which would be the last kind of car you'd think would have this type of problem."