X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water ingress

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 05:18 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Water ingress

I have rain water coming in through the front doors, it runs forward in the rubber window seal along top of the door where the glass slides down, at the front the seal stops a few millimetres short of the vertical guide which goes down into the door body. The water runs through this gap and cascades down over the window mechanism etc, and then runs out under the plastic membrane at the lower front of the door and then runs out of the bottom of the door card and is now inside the door surround seal so the only way it can go is over the plastic scuff plate and into the carpet.
What I can't figure our is the everything is original and all X types are built the same so this must be a problem on all cars, or am I missing something. The car is parked a little bit nose down which just makes it worse.
The window waist seals seem to be fine along their length, but this then means rain water runs along it until it can run down through the gap at then end.
Anyone had this problem or know of a fix?

Old 11-23-2015, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The drain holes in the bottom of the door are plugged. The seal along the glass won't keep out all of the water so in the bottom of the doors on the outside edge of the door sills are holes to drain the water. You can poke around and open them up but I would recommend removing the door card and thoroughly cleaning out the bottom of the door interiors.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:55 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

No the holes aren't plugged, otherwise there would be several litres in the bottom of the door before it spilled over the lower skin inside. I had the door cards off and poured water along the window, most ran down the outside of the door, but some ran forwards and into the door, I could see it trickling down and splashing off the cable trunk that comes in from the hinge and some ran out the drain holes and some ran down the inner skin of the door and leaked out about 2" back from the front lower corner. Now this must happen on all X types, but what prevents it from coming in on every car made, is what I am wondering.