X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I should I know and Look out for 05 xtype

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What I should I know and Look out for 05 xtype

Ok, so I just purchased a 2005 x-type 3.0, automatic with 98k miles on it. I got a real good deal on it, and just couldn't pass this car up. I had someone look at it prior to the purchase an they said the thing ran like brand new..I also took the thing for a spin and have driven it a handful of times since the purchase, and I must agree it drives so smooth. What are the things I need to keep an eye out for with this type of mileage and this year? Should I bring it to a jaguar dealership and have them take a look at it, an any idea how much that would cost? Thanks, i appreciate your input....

Old 01-19-2012, 01:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Are there any symptoms of something gone wrong, or is it just 100k anxiety? I'd drive it and not worry if an independent shop already checked it out before you bought it.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No symptoms of anything wrong, just a little 100k anxiety lol, thanks for the response

Old 09-16-2021, 03:17 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you enjoy working on cars, the X-type can be fun. One of many things Thermo clued me in was the transfer case fluid level. My 2004 Sport was probably half low with under 100K miles. The transmission, transfer case & rear axle are “maintenance” free. So unlike many vehicles, can be a challenge to measure or top off fluids. This forum is full of resources with people who are willing to assist.

Since ~2013 had P0171/174 faults whenever it got cold. Turned out to be the lower intake manifold gaskets. Waited till 100K to look at it as the intake manifold needed to be removed to access the rear plugs. Only other problems I had over the years were the original front O2 sensor heaters going bad. Could have “fooled” the computer with a resistor, but opted just to change em out.

About every 6-7 years will see the DSC Fault when it’s cold out prior to starting the engine. Start the engine & it goes away. Message should say, “It’s time to change the battery.” Message would go away as the alternator took over powering all the systems.

Car now has 112k miles & other than a sagging headliner being held up with upholstery pins, it looks & runs like a top. Only major repair ($85) was the fuel pump. A bit of a challenge the drop the tank- but took my time. Ended up using an 8” hole saw to make access ports. Used POR-15 patch to cement the cutouts back in place. Realized afterwards I never had to drop the tank- just drop the front of the tank enough to have enough space so the pilot bit didn’t hit the plastic fuel tank. Others have different techniques.

The car is fun to drive. In 2003 rented a 2.5L X-type from Hertz in Frankfurt & drove on the Autobahn at ~130 mph. Speed assist steering made the car steer like it was only going 50 mph. Car had a nav system that took us everywhere (Germany, Austria, Italy). Around the Alps from Austria through Italy, the DSC made the car easily take the turn backs at speed. That was our 10-day X-Type test drive. A shame we don’t have roads like Autobahns to enjoy the ride without getting pulled over.

As far as a vehicle with this many miles, look for the usual wear items: brake pads/discs. Replace filters as recommended. Fuel filter is an important one. Drive it & get the feel of it. You’ll know when something needs attention. Take care of the little things before they become big. My fuel pump started telling me about 6 months prior to failing that something was wrong. I’d pull over after it stalled. Wait about 5 minutes & be back on the road. 6 months later had no fuel pressure... & no fault codes. Fortunately was home.