X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel bearing and right tools

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel bearing and right tools

So, I have been looking all over this site after checking the Manual on how to do this and have not been able to accurately find the answer to my question.

I firmly believe that I need to replace the left front wheel bearing on my X. According to the manual, special tools are required to remove the "half shaft", don't get me started on the terms.

Are these special tools special because they can only be used on Jag's? Or, are they special because they pull the "half-shaft" out and I can rent them from the local parts store?

Everything that I have read just says remove tire, remove knuckle with special tools.

I am reasonably mechanically inclined so I think I can tackle this job but I have never worked on this part of any car before.

Plans are to take the knuckle to the machine shop (I know, make sure they have the right tools) and let them do that part.

And to answer the question before it is asked, after I replaced the serpentine belt tensioner, I could finally hear the other noise it was making. A low rumble sound that varied with the speed of the car. As the car rolls to a stop, it has a slight sensation of driving on a cobblestone street, kind of rough. Have not noticed any difference when turning the wheel left/right but since my wife only lets me drive it when something doesn't sound right, I don't know how long this has been going on.

We a taking a fall road trip and I would hate to have it give out totally while traveling.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Buckman, the tool I beleive is fairly generic and is not a "Jaguar only" tool. In short, where you see the ridge on the half shaft, there is a matching one near the transfer case. You place the tool between these two ridges and then you use the tool to press these two pieces apart. You do not want to take the shaft out at the transfer case as you will rip the seals inside of the transfer case and then it is a big mess trying to get things put back together like they need to be. After that, should be fairly easy to do.

The following users liked this post:
BuckMan (08-29-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As always, Thermo, you have the answer. Looks like I will tackle this job on Monday. We are planning a road trip to upper New England soon and plan on passing through DC and the Big Apple. Don't want to get stuck on the road. You have just put my mind at ease. Again, THANK YOU!