X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whirring sound from under the car...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Whirring sound from under the car...

Hey Guys,

Just the other day, I started hearing a whirring sound (sounds like a helicopter after shutting off its rotors) from under the car. If I had to explain the sound, (now dont laugh) it sounds like someone is humming what a bomb sounds like when falling from a plane... I say humming cause it is not a high pitch sound at all, but rather a low pitch sound that continues even lower in pitch the slower I get.

I only hear it when I come off the gas, and start rolling to a stop around 30 MPH - and becoming more pronounced the slower I go.

Its not my brakes cause the sound is heard whether I'm on the brakes or just rolling...

Any idea what the heck that could be? What does a bad transfer case or empty transfer case sound like?

Thanks!

Mayor111

Old 12-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im just chiming in here venture a guess, but where is it your mostly hearing from exactly? Is it like in the floor board or does it sound like its in the front? Humming usual means a bearing. Could also be worn tires, one may have a bad belt. Its really hard to say for sure and even harder without hearing it obviously. But like the noise im getting in mine is what it feels and sounds to be the front right wheel. Mine is a rotating consistant vibration.

You could try doing a wheel bearing test by jackin up one wheel and trying to wobble the wheel by grabbin opposite sides and seein if it has play. Or drive a constant speed, say 35-40 mph or when you hear it most, when you hear it most keep a constant speed and jerk the steering wheel side to side and see if it changes tone. If its more centered i may be lookin into propshaft bearing.

Hope it helps brotha

The following users liked this post:
Mayor111 (12-06-2010)
Old 12-05-2010, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Ever had the prop shaft replaced? Probably the prop shaft center bearing. Really shows up once it's cold out.

Mayor111 (12-06-2010)
Old 12-05-2010, 06:31 AM

Thanks for your replies.

I dont think its the tires - the sound does not vary at all when turning the wheel or even jerking it. I also see no abnormal or uneven wear on any of the tires.

I replaced the serpintine belt about 2,000 miles ago - so unless there is another "major" belt, I would have to assume its not that.

Prop shaft has never been replaced or looked at - is that an expensive item to repair/replace?

Also, to answer the other question -it sounds like its coming from under the floor and not from the front or rear...

Old 12-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its definetly the prop shaft. Just went through the same thing. I was swapping shafts back and forth only to discover it was bad. Go to a junk yard and pick up one for like a $100 or so. Tell them your going to try it to make sure the center bearing is OK and that they will give you your money back if its not. Dont pay $900 or whatever the dealer wants. Save the money for something that has to be done by the dealer.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Prop shaft center bearing for sure. There is a ton here written about it and there are always posts about it when the weather gets cold. Just do some surfing here. You can lube the bearing to see if that will help. Good step by step instructions here on how to do it. If that doesn't ork then your only option is to replce the propshaft. I got lucky. When mine went it was still under warranty, otherwise about $1000 t the dealer.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:51 AM

Guys - again thanks for all your replies.

Two Questions:

1) Is the car still drivable or is this something that should be brought to the repair shop IMMEDIATELY...?

2) Can you tell me what system the Prop Shaft is part of? Tranny? Engine? Suspension? etc?

I ask because I have an extended warranty on my Jag for the entire year of 2011 - but they dont have "Prop Shaft" listed as a warrantied part...so is there another name or system that I can call this so it is covered?

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

"Prop shaft" is short for propeller shaft, and is another term for the driveshaft. The one being referenced is the driveshaft that connects the transfer case to the rear differential. There is a large support bearing that the driveshaft passes through about midway to the rear of the car (underneath the front seats) and that is what starts making noise.

Mine makes noise at 14MPH and 29MPH when it gets below 60 degrees outside. Sounds like a tornado siren or air raid siren.

Mayor111 (12-06-2010)
Old 12-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

And, yes, you can drive it with that condition, but it IS annoying for sure.

Mayor111 (12-06-2010)
Old 12-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

lube it or lose it...... the noise is the sound of the bearing being killed. Lube it now and you will be OK for a couple years, or leave it and you will have to change the shaft soon...

Old 12-06-2010, 02:38 PM

UPDATE:

You guys nailed it again...it was the drive shaft. They told me that since its under my extended warranty, they arent going to lube it, they are going to replace it.

The part is $800, Labor is $110 - My cost: $100 cause of warranty!!!

Now all they have to do is locate the part - should be repaired by next weekend.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:13 PM

DUDE!!!!!! Unfreakin believable!!!! Mine just did the same exact thing today!!!!!!!! HAhahahahahhaa. DAMN IT!!!!! Well at least i no what exactly it is. HAhahaha

Thank god i have this X at a scrap yard that has 30000 miles on it i can keep scoungin parts off of. Just thought id share this curse you put on me!!! HAhahaha

Old 12-07-2010, 11:52 PM

Ohh my goodness!!!!
MY Jag started doing the SAME sound just today!! (I can't believe it!!)

Darn cold weather!!!

Can someone find a thread where someone posted a write up on how to "lube" the prop shaft?? (post a link PLZ)??

THANKS Guys!! (u guys are lifesavers!!)

Old 12-08-2010, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by svldvc
Ohh my goodness!!!!
MY Jag started doing the SAME sound just today!! (I can't believe it!!)

Darn cold weather!!!

Can someone find a thread where someone posted a write up on how to "lube" the prop shaft?? (post a link PLZ)??

THANKS Guys!! (u guys are lifesavers!!)

Well after he Jinxed us all!!!! LOL.....here ya go buddy, its about 15 posts down.......

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=9853

Old 12-08-2010, 12:06 AM

NVM...did a search and HERE IS LINK to how to grease your Prop Shaft!:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=9853

Edit: DARN!...you beat me to it by 3 mins :P

My questions is: Where can I buy this grease and this gun with hose/needle??

Old 12-08-2010, 01:53 AM

LOL....yea im pretty quick with the draw!! And the answer to your question is, any auto store would have it. I bought mine from Autozone. While doing my engine swap and the drive shaft off the car I attempted to grease the damn thing, FAIL. It was a little chilly and I did not warm it up so im guessing thats where i went wrong. Ill be doin mine shortly too, as it just started sounding like bombs over bagdad!!

Later

Old 12-08-2010, 04:53 AM

^^^^ alright, thanks buddy,
I'll check it out tomorrow. Maybe i'll buy me my kit.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:30 PM

Prop shaft. Sounds like a cop is pulling u over. Easy to replace. but the price from jag....eh not so much.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:22 PM

UPDATE #2

Ok - just had a BRAND NEW Drive shaft installed. Warranty covered it. But now when I drive, the SAME sound can be heard but its 50% quieter and its only heard when Im really slowing down (about 30 MPH) where before I could hear it when slowing down starting at around 50 MPH?

My mechanic said that he looked inside my transfer case and the lube looked pretty dark...

Would the TC cause the same / similar noise as a bad Drive Shaft?

Old 12-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Noise underneath

I've got a similar noise when the car is mobile. It's like a whistling noise, and happens at any speed but stops when car is stopped. It doesn't increase/decrease in volume base on speed (mph), constant.

Had front brakes (rotors/pads) replaced and about 2 weeks later noise started. I had the tech tear about the brakes to check for a possible misaligned caliper and stuff.

No dice, noise still exists. Whistling noise occurs in drive or neutral, AND it occurs if the engine is on or off coasting in neutral.