X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter storage - Battery care

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter storage - Battery care

I will be leaving at the end of the month for south Florida for the winter. I intend to leave my 2006 Sport Wagon in my unheated garage. I was planning to leave a "float" charger on the battery, in the car. Are there any reasons (on board electronics, etc.) that suggest a float charger is not a good idea??

Old 11-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Wes, of the options, what you are doing is pretty good. Depending on how much you trust people, the better way is to have a friend (ie, the person watching your house while you are gone) to start the car once a week and drive it around the block. That will keep everything lubed up and prevent any potential problems when you return. But, if you are like me, only you drive your vehicles. So, take it for what it is worth. I have left my vehicles for months without being driven due to my time in the Navy (can't quite keep the vehicle inside of a submarine).

Old 11-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default battery and storage

I have used Battery Tenders on all my cars, and motorcycle for many years...almost 15 or more. When I store my Alfa Spyder.for 6 months..I use one...no need to disconnect the battery...I do the same with my Jag, also 6 months. I also do it with a BMW cycle, and that is about 7 - 8 months. They make a quick connect for the battery, so it can stay where it is in the vehicle. Batteries last for 8 or so years...Here in Tahoe, winter, and heavy snow, lasts for 7 - 8 months..so I know of where-for I speak

Old 11-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Wes, of the options, what you are doing is pretty good. Depending on how much you trust people, the better way is to have a friend (ie, the person watching your house while you are gone) to start the car once a week and drive it around the block. That will keep everything lubed up and prevent any potential problems when you return. But, if you are like me, only you drive your vehicles. So, take it for what it is worth. I have left my vehicles for months without being driven due to my time in the Navy (can't quite keep the vehicle inside of a submarine).
Sorry, starting a car just for the sake of starting it is the worst thing to do. Let it sit.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:03 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Sorry, starting a car just for the sake of starting it is the worst thing to do. Let it sit.
I agree, however, if the neighbor drives it around say 30 blocks or 15-20 minutes after the temp hits its normal range I would lessen my disagreement. You get the added benefit of moving the tires but also let the engine and transmission heat up enough to clear out much of the water from the exhaust. This is a lot to ask of a neighbor IMO.

I would change my oil, check and fill my fluids, add an extra 5-8psi to the tires, put some stable in the tank at the gas station when you fill up and park it. As was already stated, I've had very good luck with battery tender brand float chargers. Provided it is a brand name float charger which is fused you shouldn't have any issues with parking it for a few months. When you do start it up remember much of that oil will have sunk down to the sump leaving your valves and pistons pretty much unprotected.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I wouldn't drive it. It's going to be winter so it running it around in the snow to get wet and bring snow and stuff in the garage is more mess than it's worth in my opinion. If the weather is "nice" and the roads are dry and someone COULD drive it enough to get everything fully warmed, then consider it. If not, don't worry about it.

Oddly enough my X-type IS my winter car, so it gets parked for the summer. I've got another car that has stayed parked for 11 months out of the year for the last 17 years or so. Here's what I'd recommend for storage.

1. Change the oil if it's close to getting due.

2. Put the battery tender on it. I had one on my X-type all summer, no worries about the onboard electronics.

3. Consider overfilling the tires, maybe to about 45PSI or so. Extra air pressure in them will help to avoid flat spotting from the vehicle sitting in one place. Just remember to let it back down to normal before driving it next spring.

4. If you have ANY concerns about mice being around, set a few plain old mousetraps around under the car. Nothing else I have tried works as good for keeping mice out of a car, and doing nothing risks them making a mess out of a car.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks to all for the quick comeback. I have stored motorcycles, currently a Suzuki 650 Burgman, and my second vehicle, over the winter months using a Battery Tender for several years. I intend to use a similar "float" charger on the Jag. My concern was specifically model related. Your inputs have put my mind at ease. Thanks. I will do a oil and filter change, fill the tank, add stable store, pump the tires up a few pounds, plug in the charger, and look forward to spring.