X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wipers have no delay

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wipers have no delay

I have a 2003 x type jag with I think rain senser on it. The wipers work as they should until you try to turn on the delay and then they do nothing. I also have a problem starting the car when it is cold most of the time it happens only when it has sat over night. When you start it the car runs like it is hitting on 3 cylinders missing bad but after a few minutes it clears up and runs as smooth as any car I have ever drove. Gas milage seems kinda bad not sure what it is yet but I am putting gas in alot. After the car has been running if you hammer down on it there is no delay miss it takes off and runs very smooth. My thought are it has to have something to do with the air/fuel mixture or choke system but I am new with jags so any help would be great. Also the engine malfunction light is on. I took it to autozone to tell me what the codes were and all he told me was that all cylinders were misfiring. I replaced the front plugs to see if it made any change but it made none. Autozone told me to replace the coil packs but I cant see all 6 coil packs being bad considering it runs so good after it is warm. It is reallt strange but after it is warm I cant image it running any strongerr being a small v-6 it has a lot more power than I thought it would. I think that is everything but if you need more info please let me know this is driving me crazy. I hate driving a car that has a problem and it worries me that it might mess something else up. Thanks again in advance.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wipers, might be just the relay. What are the codes for the engine light? It sounds like it might be the infamous IMT seals (o-rings).

Old 02-17-2010, 03:53 PM

Where is the o ring and the IMF located? Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 392 Likes on 289 Posts

read my thread (my x-type projects and installs) i have the wiper fix some where in that thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If You haven't find Dennis Black treads, here it goes: The wipers: I had the same problem, everything worked but no delay, changed the relay located in the engine's bay fuse box, but since your car is 2003 and mine is 2004, the layout of the relays in the fuse box is different, i'm not too sure as of which one it is. The relay, is a regular 5 prone bosch relay which I got from Parts-express.com for a few bucks. Now, the IMT seals are two valves located on the intake manifold,; they are two round black plastic valves each connected to a harness plug, you can't miss them. To replace the seals (o-rings, which are dealer only for about $13 each) remove the upper valve first and remove the old o-ring, which is yellowish in color, and replace it with the new one, which should be green. The lower valve is a little harder. Remove the bolts, and since it doesn't comes all the way out as the upper one, just bring the valve out as much as you can and remove the old o-ring and carefully strech out the new one into place. I hope this helps.

Last edited by jahuertas; 02-17-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:41 AM

Thanks jahuertas you were a big help. It fixed the wipers you were right on target but the o rings I am going to have to drive a few hours to get them no jag dealer around me. Thanks again.