X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type 3.0 SE auto revving too hard?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Default X-Type 3.0 SE auto revving too hard?

Hi hope you can help me clear up a little mystery. The car is X Type 3.0 auto, 2001 with just 42000 miles, when I floor it the auto box doesn't just kick down once but 2 or 3 times until it's redlining when of course it can't rev any higher so has to change back up to the gear it just left. Oh it bloody flies but it seems like it must be putting stress on the engine and transmission.
Also the sport mode button seems to have no effect whatsoever on the shift pattern.
I would have thought that a big ol v6 would not need to rev hard, hitting peak torque at about 4k, changing up at 5k and holding onto top gear when its hitting warp factor 3.
But all these down changes only delay acceleration while it builds up revs, surely that isn't right? Apart from that the car runs great, and at the last service there were no fault codes. Maybe an over sensitive throttle sensor or wrongly adjusted cable egging on the gear box to kick down.
This is my first jag so would be really interested to know what happens to your auto box when you give it the berries
Thanks

Old 05-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Ok, with the xtype, there is a common problem for water from the gutters to actually get into the TCM (transmission control module) and do strange things to it. If my memory serves me right, you'll find the TCM in front of the passenger rocker panel. Check this and see if it is corroded or visually damaged. To me, this seems like an electrical problem because if the tranny is shifting well and the engine is running well, it's just not getting the correct signal to shift. I have heard of many different vehicles where if the TCM goes out, it won't even through a fault code because the TCM won't communicate with the ECU to tell it that it's essentially injured.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Disguay, that sounds like the best advise I've had yet. Been on another forum, same question, and no one could even agree what it was supposed to do when you put your foot down with various pressure. In the end I suggested everyone go out and give their cars a good caning and report back in the name of science to see what they did do.
Nobody got back.
I think its electrical too, but without a reliable like for like control, hard to know if it's even faulty.
Thanks mate.