X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Type clutch problem

I'm having a problem with the clutch on my 2004 Jaguar X-type 2.5L manual.

I was backing up and noticed that the clutch pedal was sticking down while I was backing up, no pressure to return to the up position. Also noticed that when I finished backing up, the pedal did not return to the up
position and trying to shift, the transmission was stiff switching gears. Seemed like the clutch did not disengage. I could shift gears by rev'ing engine and shifting at the same time, but still stiff.

Eventually clutch pedal stayed in the down position and I could shift freely, but clutch would not return to up position and no power as transferred to wheels, like clutch was permanently in disengaged position. Engine would
run, gears shift OK, but no power to wheels.

Seems like two parts of same problem -
1) Initially, clutch did not disengage (go into neutral). That was when I was backing up and had stiff shifting.

2) Finally clutch seemed to have gone permanently disengaged (into neutral), where I can shift gears freely, but
no power to wheels.

Best I can figure is there's a problem with the clutch linkage. Disk and transmission seem OK, Disk was not slipping before and should not develop a problem that quickly. Transmission same thing - shifts freely, no noise.
The clutch on the vehicles are hydraulic, don't know if there is also a spring involved. Possible that a leaking slave/master cylinder could be the problem. Check fluid level and it looked OK, didn't see any fluid on the ground.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The clutch is a hydraulic unit with only a hose going down from the master cylinder. The return spring is inside the mechanism. If you go to JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource you can download the tech manual with all of the details. The site is provided by Gus a forum member.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:03 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by XJagger
I'm having a problem with the clutch on my 2004 Jaguar X-type 2.5L manual .....
Welcome to the forum XJagger,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X-Type forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham