X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Type door lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X Type door lock problem

Hi, my name is Bev, I am new to posting to forums so I hope I followed proper protocol.

I have a 2002 X Type and the driver’s door will not and cannot be forced to lock. The locking lever above the interior door handle will not fold back into the locked position. My husband replaced the locking mechanism but this did not fix the problem. He believes the problem is electronic, the car must communicate with the locking mechanism to allow the locking lever to fold in and lock the door. Does this sound reasonable and if so is there a fix for the problem?
Thank you for your help.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:07 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Welcome to the forum Bev,

I've moved your question from Jaguar Forums Advice / Feedback & Suggestion Center to X-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 11-04-2013, 02:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Bev,frustrating isn't it?
I had a similar problem with my 2007 X-Type on the passenger door,it suddenly refused to lock,both with remote and also the key.The other three locks worked without any problem.I combed the Web looking for answers and tried to purchase a workshop manual(there isn't one) so I decided to try and remove the internal door panel to have a look.I was a little nervous about doing this,carefully starting at the bottom of the door and working up.(By the way,I asked the local Jaguar dealer in Queensland for a quote to fix and he said about A$700,I decided to try myself).
Anyway,I lost my nerve and decided to pop the panel back on it's clips,giving each a good thump with my hand and Hey Presto,when we next went out in the car,the door locked perfectly and has been ok ever since(touch wood).I squirted some WD40 in through,behind the locking arm and no problem since.
Can't say this is the solution to your problem but fixed mine.
Good luck Bev,hope someone else gives you the answer you are looking for.
John

Old 11-04-2013, 02:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P.S. to above.
If you have a solution by now Bev,can you please share it with me and other members?

Old 11-04-2013, 06:56 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Bev, welcome to the forums. I think you will find lots of good information here. So, stick around and enjoy some tea and crumpets. He he he he he.

As for your door issue, I bet you will find that your problem lies in the cable that goes between the door handle and the door latch mechanism. If you are going to have a problem with the door, this is the most likely thing to go. You will need to remove the door panel, but accessing everything else should be pretty straight forward. Just be careful pulling the door panel off as the friction clips can break if you are too aggressive with the door.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by j.g.sibson
P.S. to above.
If you have a solution by now Bev,can you please share it with me and other members?
Thanks for the response's but the problem still exists. I'm sure its not mechanical, that's been checked out. We still believe it must be electrical, maybe a module somewhere that controls the locking. Thanks Bev

Old 10-02-2014, 04:58 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

Hi Bev,

If you take the inner panel off as Chris suggests you will see your handles (inner via a cable and outer via a steel rod) are connected to a module at the bottom of the door - it could be the linkages have slipped and can be adjusted carefully or it may be that one of the actuator microswitches in the module have failed.

My driver side door is intermittent.. sometimes the door will not unlock by the handle you have to use another door handle or the remote (yes it *was* embarrassing the first time it happened with the family in the car lol)

I am holding off on the job as I am not that mechanically minded but to a more mechanically minded person it is a little tricky to get out due to limited space to swap or repair but is quite a feasible job. Incidentally Haynes have now (finally) produced a workshop manual for the X-Type which might be of help to you too.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door locks

Welcome

Learned, with MUCH help from Thermo, and others that our doors lock

sequentially not all at once

Drv door, pass frt, drv rear, pass rear

Sounds like a door, bonnet or boot sensor is saying I am open

Even though they "look" closed

On mine it is the boot not being closed with suficient force

If the fob can't lock the horn should give 2 honks

So much more to tell!!!!

Hope this helps

Ron

Old 04-20-2017, 05:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi What happens when the car locks manually with the key but not with the key fob I know it means a door is open or boot or hood but how can I tell they all look closed?

Old 04-22-2017, 12:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Thermos Any ideas This lock keeps flipping out going back and forth. Is it time for a new lock actuator or it can be fixed?

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 09:47 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Is there not some trick to reset the locks, put key in door lock and turn clockwise hold 5 seconds, countercw 5 seconds.......or something like that??

You cannot lock the door manually either? As in door never locks? Try pressing firmly against outer door putting good pressure on it and then try the locks, I got a door that needs a fonzie move to work.

Does sound like a linkage, could be a linkage that controls an electronic part.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:56 AM

Are these cables prone to stretching or something? My drivers door interior handle pulls the cable, but the lock refuses to open up. I have to open the window and use the exdterior door handle to get out. All very inconvenient in an otherwise very lovely car. (Now I've sorted the starter motor out any way.)

Old 05-18-2017, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
Old 05-18-2017, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Another good solution with lead "fishing sinkers"

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-loose-67150/