X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

x type electrical fault

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default x type electrical fault

After having a repair done to my 05 diesel x type which meant i had to remove dash and screen,before removing these it started up first time and everything worked perfect the lad who took the dash out and screen as said everything has gone back how it should but i have nothing on the key and clock is dead does any one have any ideas or does some know where i can get a wiring diagram.i have had a auto electrician looking at it but he is scratching his head and cant get to the bottom of it,please please someone help getting to the end of my tether

Old 05-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Howdy,
I would suggest you take it to a Jag/Dealer workshop ?
They will tell you exactly whats wrong and whats not connected
or working as intended.

Good luck.....

Old 05-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by alto
...the lad who took the dash out and screen as said everything has gone back how it should...
Obviously not! The lad needs to disassemble again and find those connector(s) that weren't resecured properly.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Working with connectors a lot at my work, it may be possible that all the connectors went back together fine, but one of the pins got pushed back into the plug due to not properly aligning the plugs. This would cause what you are seeing. Unfortunately, the only way to find this is to take each plug apart.

Alto, as for your issue, when you say you have nothing at the key, just what do you mean by that. Are you saying that when you open up the door, you get no lights? Are you saying that when you turn the key the car does not start? where do you have power and where should you have power that you don't. From the sounds of things, it is sounding like a connector got knocked loose. But, I need to know where there is power and where there isn't. I have the diagrams for an 04 and that should allow me to point you in the right direction.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:57 AM
Default x type electrical fault

Originally Posted by Thermo
Working with connectors a lot at my work, it may be possible that all the connectors went back together fine, but one of the pins got pushed back into the plug due to not properly aligning the plugs. This would cause what you are seeing. Unfortunately, the only way to find this is to take each plug apart.

Alto, as for your issue, when you say you have nothing at the key, just what do you mean by that. Are you saying that when you open up the door, you get no lights? Are you saying that when you turn the key the car does not start? where do you have power and where should you have power that you don't. From the sounds of things, it is sounding like a connector got knocked loose. But, I need to know where there is power and where there isn't. I have the diagrams for an 04 and that should allow me to point you in the right direction.
That would be great,i will try and explain open door small lights on in foot well put key in satnav powers up,no power to clock/instrument cluster speedo mileage warning lights nothing displayed on there what so ever no power at all when key turned fully to start again nothing no power at all,one more thing that may be worth a mention my reversing lights are on permanently i did try checking a few connections and found when i unplug the air con module that is in the foot well the one with 2 plugs a black one and a white one the reverse lights go out plug it back in and they come on again,any help will be very much appreciated thanks.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

alto, i know this might sound funny, but at a quick look, it is sounding like you have 2 plugs criss-crossed. Sounds like one of the plugs that is crossed is the one you unplug for the reverse lights. Then the question is where is the other plug that needs to be undone. BUt, I will take a look and see what I can find.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
alto, i know this might sound funny, but at a quick look, it is sounding like you have 2 plugs criss-crossed. Sounds like one of the plugs that is crossed is the one you unplug for the reverse lights. Then the question is where is the other plug that needs to be undone. BUt, I will take a look and see what I can find.
Many thanks it is when i unplug the climate control module in the foot well that the reverse lights go out can not get the plugs wrong in this as one is black with 26 and the other white with 20 pins,do you mean it may be wrong at the other end as i say your help is very much appreciated.